The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van-Fla Edler or Hansen wanted

Ok so the newest rumor is that Florida either wants elder or hansen +Luongo+ Schroeder in the Luongo trade. I say if Florida wants Edler a start young defensemen then MG should demand that Huberdeau be in the trade rather than Bjustad because if we give up an allstar we should get one in return.

What do you guys think? give up Edler or not? and if we do should MG demand Huberdeau or stick with Bjustad and just try to get other aspects of the trade upgraded?

cause as it stands right now Florida wants

Luongo,Schroeder,Edler/Hansen For Bjustad,Matthias

Winnipeg would not do that, and Florida would die of laughter. Alex Edler is not presently worth very much. He's a UFA next year, which means that teams like Florida, who would likely have a slim-to-none chance at extending him, would not be interested. Otherwise, they just have Jay Bouwmeester again, and they'll lose him for nothing.

I can't see any scenario where Florida gives up Huberdeau, so you may as well put that dream to rest. Bjugstad is a possibility, but honestly, what's the point? Is he really that much more highly touted than Schroeder? Jordan Schroeder was a potential top-10 pick in 2009. He dropped like a stone, somehow all the way to us. Though his AHL career to-date has been far from encouraging, Tony Gallagher had some interesting commentary recently, and he's quite bullish on him. He seems to think that Schroeder will be a better NHL player than AHL player, a la Cody Hodgson, because ultimately he's playing with some pretty weak talent on the Wolves. In general, I hate seeing guys putting up lousy numbers in the minors, but this might be a fair point. I do recall being very excited that Schroeder fell to us, as was practically everyone. The fact that he's 5'4", and Bjugstad is 6'11", is really not relevant at all, IMO. People need to get off of this silly idea that taller (not BIGGER) is better. It's not.

But at the end of the day, here's what we end up with, in terms of ROSTER players for next year:

IN

-Doan

-Arnott

-Kane

OUT

-Kesler

-Luongo

-Edler

-Hansen

-Ballard

-Raymond

For the immediate future, the next 2 - 3 years, we're pretty clearly worse off for doing this, so what's the point?

Winnipeg would not do that, and Florida would die of laughter. Alex Edler is not presently worth very much. He's a UFA next year, which means that teams like Florida, who would likely have a slim-to-none chance at extending him, would not be interested. Otherwise, they just have Jay Bouwmeester again, and they'll lose him for nothing.

I can't see any scenario where Florida gives up Huberdeau, so you may as well put that dream to rest. Bjugstad is a possibility, but honestly, what's the point? Is he really that much more highly touted than Schroeder? Jordan Schroeder was a potential top-10 pick in 2009. He dropped like a stone, somehow all the way to us. Though his AHL career to-date has been far from encouraging, Tony Gallagher had some interesting commentary recently, and he's quite bullish on him. He seems to think that Schroeder will be a better NHL player than AHL player, a la Cody Hodgson, because ultimately he's playing with some pretty weak talent on the Wolves. In general, I hate seeing guys putting up lousy numbers in the minors, but this might be a fair point. I do recall being very excited that Schroeder fell to us, as was practically everyone. The fact that he's 5'4", and Bjugstad is 6'11", is really not relevant at all, IMO. People need to get off of this silly idea that taller (not BIGGER) is better. It's not.

But at the end of the day, here's what we end up with, in terms of ROSTER players for next year:

IN

-Doan

-Arnott

-Kane

OUT

-Kesler

-Luongo

-Edler

-Hansen

-Ballard

-Raymond

For the immediate future, the next 2 - 3 years, we're pretty clearly worse off for doing this, so what's the point?

The only way we should give up Edler or Hansen is if Florida overpays for them. We are trying to win now, so trading key pieces for players that can't help us now is a bad idea.

Come to think of it, I just flat out wouldn't trade them at all. There's nothing FLA can offer to help us now if they take one of them.

I don't think there is any way a deal with Florida should include either. Edler and Hansen are two important parts of our success and trading them would be counter productive to us winning now. The strength of a Florida deal relies a lot on futures. This being the case, it would be important for us to keep our star players.

Ok so the newest rumor is that Florida either wants elder or hansen +Luongo+ Schroeder in the Luongo trade. I say if Florida wants Edler a start young defensemen then MG should demand that Huberdeau be in the trade rather than Bjustad because if we give up an allstar we should get one in return.

What do you guys think? give up Edler or not? and if we do should MG demand Huberdeau or stick with Bjustad and just try to get other aspects of the trade upgraded?

cause as it stands right now Florida wants

Luongo,Schroeder,Edler/Hansen For Bjustad,Matthias

I don't understand what you're trying to say here, RE: Weber. You're suggesting that Nashville should've tried to trade Weber? Read again, it doesn't make sense.

And yes, it DOES quite significantly decrease his value. Florida can't be exposing themselves to guys and situations like this. You do see that they're effectively trading two top-5 draft picks and a mid 1st rounder, right? They'd need something more certain. Alex Edler extending in Florida would NOT be a certainty. That'd be a foolish risk for Tallon to take. Wouldn't happen.

What exactly has Bjugstad accomplished, besides a 20-goal season in the NCAA? Schroeder is the Michael Phelps of USA Jr. Nationals. You're comment above is based on nothing more than his height/weight. When you value a guy with size over a guy with skill, when the guy with skill has accomplished a lot and the guy with size has accomplished nothing, on the basis of "tools", you end up with Hugh Jessiman instead of Zach Parise.

right when i saw @insider_legit i lost all interest.

imo, Bjugstad <<<<<<<< Huberdeau

sorry boys

plays in all situations, good hockey IQ, the size, being a power forward and a two way forward who does well in his own zone

Archived