The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van-Fla Edler or Hansen wanted

Have to say that this haggling is pretty interesting, if the reports are true.

They want Hansen and Edler back now? If Tallon's saying that MG is shooting for the moon by asking for top prospects, then what is HE doing by asking for Edler (an All-Star D-man) or Hansen (serviceable 3rd liner with 2nd line upside), Schroeder (past 1st round pick) and Lu? He won't part with Huberdeau, fine, then we won't part with Edler (I'd be happy with Kulikov+ in return though). Hansen's also been pretty valuable so I hope that MG doesn't deal him away (though agreed, he could be more easily replaced but I wouldn't want to move him).

I sure hope MG sticks with his demands, since we're not the ones in a hurry to deal Lu or to see what he brings in return, whereas if Theodore (or more likely Optimus Reim in Toronto) falters I could see Burke giving into demands to remain competitive, since he has some of that Calgary mentality of quick fixes through mortgaging the future. But if Lu isn't enough to get a good young player (forget TOP prospects like Huberdeau or Gudbrandson and maybe Howden for now IMO) by himself then keep Lu and compete with what you have at your disposal. No way we bend over for Tallon like that!

I would add in Hansen to a trade for Bjugstad+a middle round pick. It would open up a space for Jensen on the roster so we wouldn't be losing a lot. I like Hansen but he is likely at his potential max...

Theodore apparently won't move to Vancouver, but we can get any veteran backup really... there are a few available. Florida could probably ship him to Toronto for a decent return in picks, so they do even better by acquiring Luongo.

With the current rumours out there a line up could look like this!

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Shane Doan ($5.750m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Jason Arnott ($2.500m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.894m)

Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Dan Ellis ($0.700m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,039,167; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,160,833

Theodore has 1 yr left on his contract.

He will not waive it to come to Vancouver.

He has been heard in Montreal saying he will retire next year in Florida.

Clemmenson would come back.

As for Edler maybe it would be a good thing to trade him now for a good return.

He will ask for the moon next year in salary.

We will lose him for nothing.

Guys... Let's stop at look at the main focus of this deal being Luongo. By throwing in anything more is ridiculous, he's a world class goalie so if you think we'd add elder or Hansen you've got your head up your butts.

Ya, I think we have a solid chance of getting Bjugstad if we sweeten the pot... but getting Huberdeau as well is a non-starter.

I think anything will involve a bigger deal so that the two GMs can save face and say they got what they wanted. Straight up swaps have too big a danger of making it too obvious that one side lost.

I would be willing to go as high as:

Luongo

Schroeder

Hansen

Raymond

for:

Bjugstad

Lower end roster player with a little upside like Ellerby

Mid range pick

I think I am much more realistic than most folks here, go back and look at many of my predictions and I am batting a pretty good percentage. Also... Schroeder if far from being a roster player. This sort of deal is predicated on getting Doan (as noted on my roster above) so that we don't need a top 6 guy in return for the trade.

Lets see:

Luongo - Great goalie, decent value contract... but no trade market for him at all and we can't keep him much longer than training camp without serious drama.

Schroeder - mid range prospect, too small and will almost certainly never crack a healthy Canucks roster and will be lucky to be a regular NHLer anywhere

Hansen - Gritty 3rd liner who has likely maxed his potential. He is successful when playing all out and as we saw last year, if he even slightly takes the foot off the pedal he is entirely ineffective. We have enough Tweener guys who are 3rd liners with the capability to move up the roster for short periods in case of injury.

Raymond - This is the very last time he is likely to have any trade value, if he doesn't bounce back this year he will be in Europe as his next stop...

In return:

Bjugstad - Even though he doesn't have the ceiling potential as Florida's very top prospects, he is likely the safest bet to make the NHL (little bust potential). At best he is going to be a bigger, meaner Getzlaf... at worst a big solid 3rd line centre with some offence.

Ellerby - Young stay at home D who is already a solid 3rd pairing guy with a lot of future potential to be a bigger version of Willie Mitchell

Plus we free up the cap space to make other moves like getting Doan.

Florida gets some roster players who fill in slots in the near future as their prospects mature.

Since CDC apparently goes crazy over the summer, how about I put up an insane proposal:

Kesler for Evander Kane

Luongo, Edler, Hansen and Schroeder for Huberdeau, Bjugstad and Gudbranson

Sign Doan 3yrs @5M

Sign Arnott 1yr @2M

Sign Kane 6yrs @5M

Move Raymond and Ballard for picks

Sedin Sedin Doan

Kane Huberdeau Booth

Burrows Arnott Kassian

Lappiere Malhotra Higgins

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Gudbranson