The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Canucks Sign Alexandre Mallet

UFCanuck

I too was disappointed when the Canucks drafted a player in the second round that was passed over in two previous drafts. But I think a good way to gauge whether Mallet will develop is to look at Gillis's previous second round picks.

Gillis's staff has picked 2 players in the second round. Sauve in 2008 and Rodin in 2009. Most people would agree that both these prospects are developing nicely and are right on track as a top 9 forward and a top 6 defenceman for the Canucks. My guess is Gillis's track record continues and Mallet develops into a skilled, gritty top 9 forward that has some size and character.

I figure one of two things will happen:

1.) Mallet will prove that he is not capable of playing in the NHL, and he will disappear, and with him most of the criticisms about this selection.

2.) Mallet will make the NHL, giving those who don't like this selection an opportunity to further complain.

I'm hoping for the second option.

regards,

G.

You need an 'in'. And basically, if you've never played professional hockey at some level you don't have any chance. There are some credible, intelligent hockey people that don't have a professional hockey playing background and lacking that crushes any hope of ever actually having an NHL related career. Mike Yeo and Dan Bylsma come to mind. Both finished their careers and were hired by the last team they played for. That would never happen for a keyboard warrior no matter how much you know about the game.

Not responding directly to you of course. But on the subject as a whole

There are a lot of examples of non-NHL players making coach or GM in the league. Hitchcock as a coach and Poile in Nashville as a GM come to mind. I don't think the great Sammy Polluck played NHL and Scotty Bowman's time was a cup of coffee. AV had what a handfull of games?

what about gaunce? Im getting a little bit worried that gaunce dosent like the canucks...

i don't know if thats how he is but he dosent show much of his happy side during interviews... :sadno:

good signing though! :towel:

Don't start that.

You have no information to say he doesn't like the nucks' and some tweenager is going to read that you said that and spread the rumor like wildfire, and the next thing you know we'll have another Hodgson situation on our hands before he's even played a game.

I figure one of two things will happen:

1.) Mallet will prove that he is not capable of playing in the NHL, and he will disappear, and with him most of the criticisms about this selection.

2.) Mallet will make the NHL, giving those who don't like this selection an opportunity to further complain.

I'm hoping for the second option.

regards,

G.

Yep. However, I do enjoy a good old fashioned lynch mob when toolboxes decide to proclaim divine knowledge on a player's future. If it wasn't for people like them, the Burrows thread would never have been created. Bless their tiny black hearts.

Yes I could. give me a year with the scouts just like mg has and I could do better

Even though you don't follow the "frenchy league", your words, and have been proven wrong on several of your other points? Yeah I'm going to go with the professionals in the business on this one. As far as none of Gillis' picks playing in the NHL; well he's only been GM 3 full years and hasn't had a high 1st round pick, so what do you expect?

Gillis is informed as to who is available and whom the scouting staff recommends he take to fill the role that needs filling.

He then consults with his inner circle,mulls it over and makes the final decision.

There are hundreds of years of hockey experience evaluating every single draft pick selection.

As Canuck Surfer stated,there are immediate needs of the club to be addressed and a pick may be an attempt to fill a missing hole in the lineup.

It is all about winning right now and the Canucks have chosen to fill a need with the Mallet pick.

The Canucks.org have done a decent job in the past two drafts.

“The way we run the draft, we’ve taken the most skilled player, the highest guy on our list, in the first two rounds,” Gilman tells the Sun, “In the case of [Alexandre Mallet] we had him ranked high, and one of the reasons we liked him is that he’s a big physical center who is going through a rapid development path at this point.”

While there is plenty of risk in picking players who haven’t stood out until they are older than much of their competition, there is also the potential for finding a market inefficiency, as other teams tend to overlook such players.

http://vansunsportsb...2012-nhl-draft/

His points trajectory over the last three seasons would compute to ridiculous numbers next year as an overage OHL player.

With his grit he should be a regular player on the Wolves next season, with size and hands the sky is the limit.

Here's hoping for a 50 point season with the Wolves and a playoff call up!

His points trajectory over the last three seasons would compute to ridiculous numbers next year as an overage OHL player.

With his grit he should be a regular player on the Wolves next season, with size and hands the sky is the limit.

Here's hoping for a 50 point season with the Wolves and a playoff call up!

He's not putting up 50pts, if hes a 30pts 3rd line physical center for the Wolves he would be trending in the right direction in a big way. People really underestimate the quality of the AHL and how big a jump it is from junior hockey.

cool 1 site that has a hard on for him, congrats. even at the draft the tsn guys said he won't be an incredible player or anything

Guess you felt the same way when we had this guy named Burrows play on the third line. Don't get me wrong, don't expect him to be anything like that, but to cross him off as if he's nothing is rather foolish without seeing him play one NHL game.

I may sound a little silly, but I think this guy will be a star for us in the next three or four years (if we don't trade him). I won't be at all suprised if he cracks the line up out of training camp. I think he will have the right combination of size, speed, grit, compete level and skill that may suit our 4th line really well (maybe this year).

Like Burrows and Hansen, over the coming years, he may work his way up the lines based on his no quit attitude.

I have enough faith in this guy from what I have seen (granted not a lot) to consider getting a jersey with his name on it...... or Kassian. Just like the idea of being one of the first fans that has his jersey before he makes it big in the 'bigtime'...... worst case senario, if he busts, well I guess I can get the name plate taken off.... but I think he'll be a keeper. ::D

Archived