Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[Olympics] Why Boxing Is TRULY a Disgrace Now

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

***Video of fight (near the end and knockdown's) are in the link if you want to see***
http://deadspin.com/...ing-match-fixed

Knockdowns are exceedingly rare in Olympic boxing. Japan's Satoshi Shimizu knocked down Azerbaijan's Magomed Abdulhamidovfive times in the third and final round of their bantamweight bout yesterday. And yet, the judges scored the round in favor of the one who spent more time on the canvas than on his feet.

"I was shocked by the final scores. He fell down so many times," Shimizu said. "Why didn't I win? I don't understand."

After Abdulhamidov was awarded the 22-17 victory over Shimizu, the uproar began. Fans rained boos from the stands, and Japanese officials immediately lodged a protest. It was, by any account, the biggest competitive disgrace of the Olympics so far. And there's reason to ask if this was more than the usual Olympic boxing incompetence, but rather something more sinister.
Last September, BBC Newsnight presented evidence that Azerbaijan had paid millions of dollars in an international boxing organization, in return for a guarantee that two Azerbaijanis would win gold medals at these London Olympics. They found documents showing a $9 million bank transfer, funneled through Switzerland, to a boxing organization owned by AIBA, which oversees Olympic boxing. Whistleblowers reported that the money came from an Azerbaijan government minister, and were strictly a cash-for-medals exchange.

"Ivan boasted to a few of us that there was no need to worry about World Series Boxing having the coin to pay its bills. As long as the Azeris got their medals, WSB would have the cash."
Another said that Mr Khodabakhsh came in and said: "We are safe now - Azerbaijan came in - we have to give them medals for that."
"He was talking about gold medals in London in return for millions of dollars of secret payments," the insider added. "Medals are being sold so blatantly it's amazing."

Azerbaijan denied the allegations, and an AIBA committee found them groundless. (The $9M was deemed to be a "purely commercial investment.") But here we are! Azerbaijan's Abdulhamidov was awarded a win he didn't come close to earning.
This one has a happy ending, sort of. Late last night, AIBA officials upheld Japan's appeal, and awarded the bout to Shimizu. Their statement:

After reviewing the video of Bout #105 involving Bantamweights Satoshi Shimizu (Japan) and Magomed Abdulhamidov (Azerbaijan), the Competition Jury made the following decision:
- The boxer from Azerbaijan fell down six (6) times during the 3rd round. According to our rules, the Referee should have counted at least three (3) times. In this case, following the AIBA Technical & Competition Rules, the decision should have been RSC (Referee Stop Contest);
- Therefore the protest lodged by the Japanese corner is accepted and the result of this bout overturned.
AIBA officials will consider on Thursday morning whether to sanction the referee of this bout.

Shimizu moves on. Abdulhamidov goes home. The Turkmenistani ref may be punished for not stopping the fight. The judges? Nothing happens to them. Olympic boxing remains a joke.
For a handy master schedule of every Olympic event, click here.

...wow, just unbelievable.

There's a great status for a sport, then there's a good status, after that a par status. If it really does sucks, then there's 50 feet of crap, and then there's boxing. This 'sport' is as far down as any in my mind, especially after this. It already was down when there have been so many fixes lately, but at the top level at the fricken Olympics to see it, its just, it truly is unbelievable. wow. :sadno:

Edited by The Sedin's 6th Sense, 02 August 2012 - 04:20 PM.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#2 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

You cant blame the sport, just the people running and officiating it.
Havent seen the fight, but eh I've seen horrible calls, not suprised.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#3 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,981 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

nothing about this story sounds good, especially with the badminton match throwing incident already giving london a blackeye

Bring Back the Totems!

#4 SheaWeber6

SheaWeber6

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

The problem in this sport, and this is more so related to the Bradley/Pacquio fight is that the god damn promoters are just moguls and can throw around so much cash just so their guy can win. I mean the promoter must have made around $25 million from the Bradley fight, and he must have told the ref that he would give him $1 Million and the judges about $2 Million a piece if they just make sure that Bradley wins, and I know that if I were one of those judges or refs that are about to retire, I would jump at the opportunity to make the money, that is why the sport of boxing is so corrupted now a days.

This really ticks me off and this must suck for the city of London having to first deal with the badminton crap and now this, ITS A JOKE!

#5 InTheCrease

InTheCrease

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

I watched Brazil and Azerbaijan yesterday, and I thought that one was bad, Wow.

Yesterday Azerbaijan kept grabbing Brazil and pulling the head down, yet Brazil was getting docked points. After loads of Boos, the ref finally started calling it correctly and Azerbaijan was DQed.

Maybe thats why such a clear case in Azerbaijan / Japan today.

I would have loved to see 2 KOs, lets see them buy the medal then.

Edited by InTheCrease, 02 August 2012 - 04:35 PM.

I played for the Leafs for three years, Im used to the booing so it wont affect me - Kyle Wellwood

#6 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:15 PM

Reminds me of the figure skating scandal in 02.

#7 gurmy_33

gurmy_33

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:18 PM

I am still waiting for the pac man vs mayweather fight

#8 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

This burns me up considering I love Olympic boxing.

The judges should be stripped of their credentials and sent packing.

#9 Twilight Sparkle

Twilight Sparkle

Lizardshifting Shape

• Members
  • 9,758 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

i automatically feel i would have better judgement calling a boxing game

20qb529.jpg

Praise Smooze.

#10 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,900 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

Nothing new for boxing,

Jake LaMotta
Biographical Information Sex: M Age: 60 Birth Date: February 14, 1951 Astrology Sign: Aquarius Chinese Sign: Rabbit - Yin Birth Name: Birth Place: Website:
Search for more:

JAKE LAMOTTA Posted Image

Biography: Jake LaMotta LaMotta won the world title in 1949 in Detroit against Frenchman Marcel Cerdan, who was the world champion. Cerdan, called by many boxing critics the greatest champion ever from France, dislocated his arm in the first round and gave up before the start of the tenth, the official scoring being LaMotta winner by a knockout in ten because the bell had already rung to begin that round when Cerdan announced he was quitting. A rematch was signed, but while Cerdan was flying back to the United States to fight the rematch, his Air France Lockheed Constellation crashed at the Azores, killing everyone on board. LaMotta met two challengers (Tiberio Mitri and Laurent Dauthuille) and beat them, and then he was challenged by Robinson on their rivalry's sixth fight. Held on February 14, 1951, the fight became known as boxing's version of The St. Valentine's Day Massacre. Robinson won by a technical knockout in the thirteenth round, when the fight was stopped with LaMotta lying on the ropes. In 1953, LaMotta shocked the sports world when he was called to testify by the FBI in the hearings they were holding against some mafia groups. LaMotta said during the hearing, perhaps not realizing that he was also harming his own image, that he had thrown the fight in 1948 with Billy Fox in exchange for a shot against world champion Cerdan. Throwing the fight affected his reputation greatly, but he still believes that it was worthwhile.
After retirement, he bought a few bars and became a stage actor and stand up comedian

I think it's rad when balls beats natural talent

Shaun Palmer

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

#11 Canucks_4_Cup

Canucks_4_Cup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

I watched Brazil and Azerbaijan yesterday, and I thought that one was bad, Wow.

Yesterday Azerbaijan kept grabbing Brazil and pulling the head down, yet Brazil was getting docked points. After loads of Boos, the ref finally started calling it correctly and Azerbaijan was DQed.

Maybe thats why such a clear case in Azerbaijan / Japan today.

I would have loved to see 2 KOs, lets see them buy the medal then.

Are you sure that wasn't the Iranian guy vs the Cuban guy?

#12 Canucks_4_Cup

Canucks_4_Cup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

Edited by Canucks_4_Cup, 02 August 2012 - 06:37 PM.

#13 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,037 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:05 PM

The OP put up a slightly outdated article. The ref got booted.

#14 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

They desperately need some new faces in the sport. I think if that happened, and they got some more publicity, than the sport would become much more respectable. They also need to get rid of the guy that runs most of boxing. I forget his name, but he's African American and is always waving a US flag wherever he goes. Sorry for the lame description, all I know is that this guy is a leech and has driven the sport into the ground.

If anyone could provide a name for the guy I'm thinking of, it would be much appreciated.
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#15 Hamhuis Hipcheck

Hamhuis Hipcheck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

nothing about this story sounds good, especially with the badminton match throwing incident already giving london a blackeye

The badminton incident is totally different. They were doing it as strategy.

The boxing incident is just ridiculous.

#16 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,981 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

still, they both are a disgrace to sports

Bring Back the Totems!

#17 Hamhuis Hipcheck

Hamhuis Hipcheck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:07 AM

still, they both are a disgrace to sports

I don't understand how being strategic to become the best is a disgrace to sports.

But we'll agree to disagree

#18 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:32 AM

Not even the first time China has pulled this BS. They have never faced each other in Badminton, despite always sending two teams since it was added to the Olympics. They have been scheduled to play each other several other times, yet someone always ends up getting hurt, sick, or the Chinese team some how loses to teams ranked well below them.

Korea caught on to what they were doing, and decided to "suck" right back. If they just played through it would have just look like they were dominating China.

Boxing scandals are as old as boxing it self. The sport needs a computer scoring program. It does exist, it takes all the statistics of everything in the round, and gives the round to the boxer who won in more stats.

#19 SILLY GOOSE

SILLY GOOSE

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:03 AM

People don't seem to realize that Amateur boxing (olympic boxing) is based on a points only system. Only scoring punches count as points. Knock downs don't factor into the amateur scoring system. So it is feasible that one could outscore an opponent but knocked down multiple times.

Clearly the ref made an error because amateur matches can also be won based on a TKO (3 knockdown limit). The appeal and subsequent decision found this to be the case.

So the better fighter won. Don't know why people have to condem boxing. Sure, there might be cause for concern, but the majority of fights are professional scored, ref'd and well fought.

200.gif200.gif

#20 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:11 AM

People don't seem to realize that Amateur boxing (olympic boxing) is based on a points only system. Only scoring punches count as points. Knock downs don't factor into the amateur scoring system. So it is feasible that one could outscore an opponent but knocked down multiple times.

Clearly the ref made an error because amateur matches can also be won based on a TKO (3 knockdown limit). The appeal and subsequent decision found this to be the case.

So the better fighter won. Don't know why people have to condem boxing. Sure, there might be cause for concern, but the majority of fights are professional scored, ref'd and well fought.

There was another scandal where an Iranian boxer got DQ'd in the first round for grabbing his opposition. It is illegal, but that same ref did not call this same rule in any other fights, when is was as, if not more visible.

#21 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:15 AM

Sorry to say, but boxing has been a joke for a long time now.

The Pacquiao vs. Bradley fight was so blatant, haha. It's just the latest in a string of scandals that has plagued the sports since forever.

I don't consider it a sport anymore, and haven't for some time.

RIP LB RR PD

#22 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,551 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

They desperately need some new faces in the sport. I think if that happened, and they got some more publicity, than the sport would become much more respectable. They also need to get rid of the guy that runs most of boxing. I forget his name, but he's African American and is always waving a US flag wherever he goes. Sorry for the lame description, all I know is that this guy is a leech and has driven the sport into the ground.

If anyone could provide a name for the guy I'm thinking of, it would be much appreciated.

Don King

Posted Image

What a ???? joke. Benning is the worst GM in the NHL. I can't believe this guy is actually this stupid. This imbecile is going to drive this team into the ???? ground.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#23 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

I don't understand how being strategic to become the best is a disgrace to sports.

But we'll agree to disagree

apparently it's clearly written in the badminton federation rules that players must play to the best of their abilities. This throwing he game is cheating. Even if it wasn't clearly stated in the rules, atany other tournament you might be able to say throwing games is strategic and should be allowed; but this is the Olympics, an event centered around fair play and sportsmanship.
And the effort put forward by the DQed teams was embarrassing for everyone involved.

#24 rampage

rampage

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

Marquez vs Pacquiao, Bradley vs Pacquiao, the olympics bout....boxing has been wrong on so many occasions

#25 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

Marquez is a boss

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#26 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,220 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

Sorry, but if I'm a paying fan I'm insulted that they pull that crap. If your paying Olymipic prices for tickets you should get Olympic quality performance in return.

credit to canuckforever00 for the sig :)

RIP Luc Bourdon

#27 Hamhuis Hipcheck

Hamhuis Hipcheck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

I mean, didn't Sweden Hockey Team lose on purpose so they didn't have to face the tougher competition in one of the winter games? 06 i think

#28 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,488 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

Don King is a money grubbing leech.

I wish boxing was like this. But there's only one Ali.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#29 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:21 AM

Sorry, but if I'm a paying fan I'm insulted that they pull that crap. If your paying Olymipic prices for tickets you should get Olympic quality performance in return.

It may not be in the spirit of competition but the badminton situation is still totally different then the boxing scandal

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.