The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Have The Vancouver Canucks Ever Developed a Legit Superstar?

Pasific Coluseum

"And by superstar I mean top 5 player in the league i.e CROSBY, MALKIN, WEBBER, GIROUX, OVECHKIN"

players like Crosby,Malkin and Ovechkin would have been superstars regardless, they were "superstars" before they got drafted.

They weren't really "developed" I don't think Webber was really either. Not sure about Giroux.

Not our fault we don't suck enough to get number draft picks.

With the whole Hodgson fiasco behind us and Jordan Schroeder looking to be a bust if he doesn't make the team this year I'm really worried about our cupboard being empty.

While Kassian may turn out to be a quality player I still have my reservations on him. If he does live up to his potential I see him being like Keith Primeau type not Eric Lindross.

The only player that we have truly developed into a mega superstar is Pavel Bure.

Schneider has the potential but only time will tell.

The point I'm trying to get at is that our organization has drafted abysmally. Look at Philadelphia, now they have future SUPERSTARS IN THE MAKING.

And by superstar I mean top 5 player in the league i.e CROSBY, MALKIN, WEBBER, GIROUX, OVECHKIN

The Sedins are very good players but they are not SUPERSTARs. The only reason they are so great is because they feed off each and have chemistry. We saw Henrick wasn't as good when Daniel was injured.

Naslund

Bure

Sedins

And yes, The Sedins are superstars in my opinion. Pretty sure winning the Hart, Lindsay and Art Ross trophies makes you a superstar. What you're looking for are more a step above superstars, more like generational talent Hall of Famer types, in which case you're right that Bure is the only one. Although I think the Sedins have a chance at the HOF if they win the Cup and keep putting up points for a few more years.

Also a big part of getting those top 5 players you're talking about, is drafting high. You're less likely to find guys like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, and Stamkos when you're drafting in the bottom half of the first round.

- Sedins

- Kesler became that player the year he won the Best Defensive Forward award, then got hurt.

- Bure

- Mike Rogers (our guy who scored 105 points two years in a row for Hartford)

- Neely (our guy who we developed for Boston to cash in)

- You could say Naslund was like Neely in reverse - deveoped by Pittsburg, cashed in here

- and soon Schneider will reach that status

Archived