Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 9 votes

Have The Vancouver Canucks Ever Developed a Legit Superstar?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
138 replies to this topic

#31 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

Naslund
Bure
Sedins

And yes, The Sedins are superstars in my opinion. Pretty sure winning the Hart, Lindsay and Art Ross trophies makes you a superstar. What you're looking for are more a step above superstars, more like generational talent Hall of Famer types, in which case you're right that Bure is the only one. Although I think the Sedins have a chance at the HOF if they win the Cup and keep putting up points for a few more years.

Also a big part of getting those top 5 players you're talking about, is drafting high. You're less likely to find guys like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, and Stamkos when you're drafting in the bottom half of the first round.

#32 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,102 posts

How about Neely? They drafted him, got him started and then traded him away just before he showed his true potential.
Posted Image

#33 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Rory Fitzpatrick.

Where is he now? :lol:

VOTE FOR RORY!!!!
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#34 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

- Sedins
- Kesler became that player the year he won the Best Defensive Forward award, then got hurt.
- Bure
- Mike Rogers (our guy who scored 105 points two years in a row for Hartford)
- Neely (our guy who we developed for Boston to cash in)
- You could say Naslund was like Neely in reverse - deveoped by Pittsburg, cashed in here
- and soon Schneider will reach that status

#35 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

I wonder if the mods consider this trolling? I mean seriously?

#36 Hank33

Hank33

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

Sorry but the Sedins are Superstars and who's Webber? I know Shea Weber is a huge superstar. To say that the sedins aren't superstars is taking a shot at them.

#37 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

:picard: sedins say hi
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#38 Ryanstorm

Ryanstorm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

Nick Jensen will be on that list eventually I bet.

10n8i06.jpg

#39 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,218 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

Bure for sure
Sedins for sure
Bertuzzi was the best Powerforward in the league at the time so him.
Naslund was one of the best in the league in his prime so he was.

Seems pretty good to me, there are others that are close but by your definition of superstar then I think those guys fit under the category.

zackass.png

#40 Gran Turismo

Gran Turismo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

Naslund was not drafted by the Canucks so technically he doesn't count.

But he was developed into a superstar while he was here. He wasn't a superstar in Pittsburgh. The title doesn't say "draft" but rather "developed" so technically he does count.
Posted Image

#41 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

Odjick, Brashear, Rome, Alberts, Fitzpatrick

#42 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

With the whole Hodgson fiasco behind us and Jordan Schroeder looking to be a bust if he doesn't make the team this year I'm really worried about our cupboard being empty.

While Kassian may turn out to be a quality player I still have my reservations on him. If he does live up to his potential I see him being like Keith Primeau type not Eric Lindross.

The only player that we have truly developed into a mega superstar is Pavel Bure.
Schneider has the potential but only time will tell.

The point I'm trying to get at is that our organization has drafted abysmally. Look at Philadelphia, now they have future SUPERSTARS IN THE MAKING.

And by superstar I mean top 5 player in the league i.e CROSBY, MALKIN, WEBBER, GIROUX, OVECHKIN

The Sedins are very good players but they are not SUPERSTARs. The only reason they are so great is because they feed off each and have chemistry. We saw Henrick wasn't as good when Daniel was injured.

Yeah, you're right. This franchise sucks at player development You should go support another team.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#43 brycemeat

brycemeat

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

Is this really a thread?

#44 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

sigh..........these posters never give up

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#45 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

With the whole Hodgson fiasco behind us and Jordan Schroeder looking to be a bust if he doesn't make the team this year I'm really worried about our cupboard being empty.

While Kassian may turn out to be a quality player I still have my reservations on him. If he does live up to his potential I see him being like Keith Primeau type not Eric Lindross.

The only player that we have truly developed into a mega superstar is Pavel Bure.

The point I'm trying to get at is that our organization has drafted abysmally. Look at Philadelphia, now they have future SUPERSTARS IN THE MAKING.

And by superstar I mean top 5 player in the league i.e CROSBY, MALKIN, WEBBER, GIROUX, OVECHKIN

The Sedins are very good players but they are not SUPERSTARs. The only reason they are so great is because they feed off each and have chemistry. We saw Henrick wasn't as good when Daniel was injured.

Does anyone have any troll-stink or perhaps a UV light? I smell a Ringlefinch.
Posted Image

#46 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:44 PM

Good question actually. We di have the Sedins right now. In the future, I could definetely see Kassian, Jensen, Schroeder, Tanev and Gaunce becoming good players. But as you said, not superstars. It's because the Canucks have never sucked so bad to get that high draft pick. We have endless depth, and that's what makes the Canucks so good. When we win, it's with everyone chipping in, not just one or two players.
Posted Image

#47 Nucks+Cup+♥

Nucks+Cup+♥

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:45 PM

:picard:
Posted Image
credit to Henrik Sedin for awesome sig
:bigblush:

#48 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,680 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

No the Canucks did not develop CROSBY, MALKIN, WEBBER, GIROUX, or OVECHKIN, if you have any other questions about this awesome team , feel free to ask, and by the way, welcome to being a fan of the Vancouver Canucks, how many days have you liked the team?

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#49 vwnuck

vwnuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

HELLOOOOO!!!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#50 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,854 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

The Sedins are super stars.Somebody tell Gillis before this year's playoffs starts.I mean,does anybody have Sami's balls to tell Gillis that these guys deserve some protection?

Those that suggest Bure was developed by the Nucks does not remember or know that he stepped on to this hockey stage larger than life and more than ready for prime time.
Bure taught those around him what it means to 'develop'.
Come on.What a joke.Pavel the rookie was in ten times better shape than arguably any veteran Canuck.
Valdmir Bure,his father,was a Soviet Union swimming hero that won 14 Olympic medals.He was also Bure's manager and more importantly,a cosulting trainer in Vancouver and was a Vancouver Canucks paid trainer.
Later,he went to the New Jersey Devils and was a trainer there.He won two cups with them and has his name etched on the 2003 Stanley Cup.
Competing in three Olympic games and hailed as the Soviet Union's swimming champion-17 times.
Nobody could touch Bure fitness.Read up on what Cliff Ronning said the first time he saw Pavel.

With the exception of the Sedins the Canucks organisation have blown their chances to articulate and develop high end talent.

Neely and Grabner come immediately to mind,there must be others.

The Sedins are where it is at.Somebody tell Gillis before it is too late and they suffer more injuries that finally take them out of their distinct class of 'elite player category'.

Edited by nuck nit, 02 August 2012 - 07:57 PM.

#51 JordanEberle

JordanEberle

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

This is one of the stupidest posts ive ever seen. You say our prospects cant be superstars because you they may not have the potential and then you call philidelphias rookis already superstars even though they have not proved themselves as much as even jannik hansen. How can you possibly not call the Sedins superstars..... They have won art ross winners and produce more then everyone post lockout, they consistently have been in the top 10 of everything since they've entered their prime.
GAHHHHHH
Posted Image
Credit: Garrett-6

#52 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

Where is the minus button when you need it. And I did NOT mean to plus you, I hit it instead of the quote button.

I singled out this line as the single worst of the bunch. They don't count as superstars because their skill and chemistry makes them invalid? What? Isn't skill what makes a player a superstar? Find me two other players with the same chemistry in the league and the same point totals as a pair. That is what makes them stars.

But aside from that, in recent memory, because that is probably what we are sticking too... Bure, Linden, Naslund, Bertuzzi, Kesler, Edler, Neely and Jovanoski are all stars that Vancouver developed. And by developed I mean had start young and turn into stars. And yes Bure counts. It doesn't matter how much talent he had coming into here, we still succeeded in making him a success. Disqualifying him also disqualifies Crosby, Ovechkin, RNH, etc.
Other players that we have developed are Schneider, Hansen, Bieksa, Hodgson, and so on.

I still can't believe I accidentally hit the freaking plus button on this thread. This is the exact reason why the minus button needs to be around.

61c1f524-b05e-4da1-b54d-e7ac1d87c904.jpg

#53 lee goren rulez69

lee goren rulez69

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

Naslund was a top 5 player in his prime...

#54 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:05 PM

HELLOOOOO!!!
Posted Image

Only a star in Vancouver.

Henrik had 18 points in the 18 games Daniel was out. Not sure what the hell people are expecting him to do by himself. He and Daniel were the only legitimate first liners on this team at that time. Arguably Kesler as well, arguably. Burrows is not a first liner without the twins because when Daniel did go down, his production completely dipped with two goals and 9 points in that 18 game span and has never produced very well at all without the twins. But that is discussion for some other thread.

But if finishing in top ten of NHL scoring for the last three years, two of those being top five doesn't dub you a super star, then I give up. Because nothing does.
Posted Image

#55 the grinder

the grinder

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

messier

#56 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

Oh yeah, Schneider a guy who has played a grand total of 68 regular season NHL games is going to be a superstar while the two guys on our first line who have scored at almost a point per game pace during the last three seasons aren't "legit superstars"

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#57 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:08 PM

#58 the grinder

the grinder

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

stan smyl linden bure sedins burrows kesler neely

#59 nd84

nd84

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

Henrik played very well when Daniel was injured in 2009/2010 and eventually won the Art Ross.
Posted Image

#60 awalk

awalk

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,169 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

Bure
Linden
Naslund
Sedins

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.