The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Messier Awarded 6 Million From Grievance Case

Alex the Great

Messier ...

Regardless of the inane bickering, truth is it didn't work out on or off the ice. Period.

He was a perimeter player as soon as he arrived.

Dressing room trouble.

Can't lead on the ice when u are not making a significant contribution

Sundin was better than he was, at least by end of the year he wasn't a perimeter player and gave it everything (chi series)

Messier should have retired instead of coming here. there was a reason NY wouldn't pay him like a 1st liner anymore...

Now all that said, he was phenomenal until he was around 32-33 years old. After that he was too worn out, too many concussions, etc... But holy cr@p was he a great great player!!!! If he came here at 30 instead of 35... Totally different story!

He was here on reputation and that wasn't enough.... Bur not his fault the idiots gave him that contract....

I still think a report will come out stating he's actually a paedophile. He's rotten to the bone.

I'm curious does current Canucks ownership have to pay or will the owed money fall to previous ownership debt?

Did nothing on the ice, nothing for the team, nothing in the change room, nothing in the community. Brutal signing.

One of the most overrated players in history. He got to play on a stacked EDM and NY team. In the 80's, most team barely had one good defense pair who always played against Gretz. Messier always played the other teams leftover scrubs. NY was ridiculously stacked as well.

IMO the Messier contract was more an example of the level of desperation the Canuck org was in. I doubt Messier had any idea what he was walking in to when he signed. A premium winger who played on top teams thru his career in large part due to his efforts. I suspect he lost his enthusiasm for Van by the time he left. His style of play could not motivate a undertalented roster. Besides all that ownership didn't really want the team nor did they support it financially.

What went on in Van during Messier's time had more to do with management and ownership than it did Messier.

A "well respected player" doesn't hit an injured player while he's on his knees on the ice. Zero respect at that point.

And Bodee - when he came here, he acted like a superstar not a team player so his attitude reflected the "I'm too good for the Canucks" that you speak of. And even the best know how to adjust to make those around them better vs simply focusing on themselves.

I recall the era well - it was a horrible one as the "team" atmosphere turned into something much different. I compare it to Mats Sundin, who was also a great player but didn't appear to come in and have everyone bow down to him.

HATE Messier and perhaps he can get a head transplant with the $ so he doesn't look like a big rotten egg any longer.

Bodee - if you simpy refer to Wikipedia then it likely means you weren't on board back then and it isn't evident unless you experienced the dark cloud that was Keenan-Messier here.

A great player with an even greater ego.

Archived