The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Messier Awarded 6 Million From Grievance Case

Alex the Great

I knew before coming into this thread that it was going to be an over the top Messier hate-fest. I'm pleasantly surprised to see a few voices of reason. (TOM, Bodee, Boudrias, Shifty)

The fact is, Messier's biggest crime when he came here was not being the Mark Messier that he used to be. That's not surprising, considering he was 36 years old. Let's inject a little reality into the discussion, shall we? Messier average 54 pts over his three years here. Not bery good, I agree. However, he didn't exactly light it up after returning to NY, as some people claim. His average point total in the 3 years after leaving Vancouver was 43 pts. Clearly, this was a player who was in decline.

Vancouver fans are upset because his decline coincided with his signing by the Canucks. I'm sure it's not what Messier wanted either. Those who claim he was floating through his time in Vancouver really have no basis for saying so, other than his point totals. Those prove nothing but a decline in ability.

And please don't give me the old "did you watch him play?" routine. I'm reasonably certain that no-one here has watched the Canucks longer that I have. The fact is, I watch without a jaundiced eye.

Messier's time here was not great for the team, but it isn't his fault the Canucks offered him that deal and if he's owed money, he's owed money.

That's my 2 cents. You can all go back to your hate-fest now...

I knew before coming into this thread that it was going to be an over the top Messier hate-fest. I'm pleasantly surprised to see a few voices of reason. (TOM, Bodee, Boudrias, Shifty)

The fact is, Messier's biggest crime when he came here was not being the Mark Messier that he used to be. That's not surprising, considering he was 36 years old. Let's inject a little reality into the discussion, shall we? Messier average 54 pts over his three years here. Not bery good, I agree. However, he didn't exactly light it up after returning to NY, as some people claim. His average point total in the 3 years after leaving Vancouver was 43 pts. Clearly, this was a player who was in decline.

Vancouver fans are upset because his decline coincided with his signing by the Canucks. I'm sure it's not what Messier wanted either. Those who claim he was floating through his time in Vancouver really have no basis for saying so, other than his point totals. Those prove nothing but a decline in ability.

And please don't give me the old "did you watch him play?" routine. I'm reasonably certain that no-one here has watched the Canucks longer that I have. The fact is, I watch without a jaundiced eye.

Messier's time here was not great for the team, but it isn't his fault the Canucks offered him that deal and if he's owed money, he's owed money.

That's my 2 cents. You can all go back to your hate-fest now...

It's too bad that the current Canucks administration is saddled with the lack of foresight of the previous one.Maybe McCaw should cough up half of the 6m?

Regardless of how well Messier played here,a contract is a contract....even though it brings back bad memories of an era we're all trying to forget about.

I was the biggest Messier fan prior to his arrival here. Great resume, great leadership, nasty edge, power forward and still a top producer.

I thought for sure we were going to win the Stanley Cup. I mean he had Bure and Mogilny, both in their primes! Was going to be the best line in hockey!!

I bought an ice pack the first year he was here and felt like it was the biggest waste of money.

Messier floated, never hit anyone, didn't skate hard, never tried. Messier was like today's Raymond in terms of not going anywhere near the front of the net, a part of his game that made him successful in the past. He looked horrible and was a huge let down.

Since his tenure here, I have hated this guy and will do so every time his name is brought up

So the Canucks should reneg on a legal contract that they were stupid enough to sign (I mean really, who actually thought that the Canucks wouldn't increase in value over those three years?). And I have to ask; what exactly would be the basis of your counter suit against Messier? Not trying hard enough? Guess we could sue Naslund for the last 3 years he was here for the same thing, right?

Archived