The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Messier Awarded 6 Million From Grievance Case

Alex the Great

approx 7 or so years ago i worked at a lotto centre, and one of messier's uncles used to come by to play the 6/49. when i asked this fellow why he keeps playing the lotto since he's related to messier, the uncle simply answered "the moose is cheap".

When Messier was here, he was quite the partyer. Hung out with some indirect acquaintances of mine, I'm not judging but he had some pretty freaky predilections from what I heard and didn't always play for the same team. Just saying he was a rather, and perhaps still is unbalanced individual.

But he has a ton of cash, so why should he care?

When Messier was here, he was quite the partyer. Hung out with some indirect acquaintances of mine, I'm not judging but he had some pretty freaky predilections from what I heard and didn't always play for the same team. Just saying he was a rather, and perhaps still is unbalanced individual.

But he has a ton of cash, so why should he care?

Mogilny was a bust as far as putting up points while Messier was here and Bure was only there for Massier's first year settling in. So that is just a twisting of the facts on your part as far as I can see.

In fact as I have said when Bure (who's last season was 90 pts) left he wasn't replaced by anyone of any standing. How did that help the 37 year old Messier.

Just because many fans may have had outrageous expectations (half of Vancouver seems to live in fantasy land when it comes to hockey and reality) on the acquisition of Messier, totally ignoring the team he was coming into (Messier seems to have done the same it appears) does not make it Messier's fault that he could not perform miracles.

It was completely the fault of the organisation and the ignorance (in a hockey sense) of the Vancouver fans. I don't doubt there were some who tried to point out this over optimism and they were politely told to go away...............we have all seen the utter, over the top pant wetting, reaction to any decent signing on here..........my head is still buzzing from the Kassian trade threads and he is hardly NHL ready never mind a 6 times SC winner.

As for Messier "talking about" a SC when he came. He was only saying what he hoped for, (and probably what the organisation wanted him/asked him to say) would you rather he had looked at the roster and said FFS there is no way that crap will win a SC! He probably thought that he was going to have Bure while he was there and a few more players would come in.

Any one with any sense knows a you don't ask a veteran to win a cup, you ask him to help a good (usually young) team to win a cup.

"This stuff is all very nice, but he did F*ck all for us. He was supposed to make this team better was he not? He had the opposite effect.

I hated the idea of signing that pr*ck in the first place and he made that 10 times worse while he was here, now he has re-ignited that disdain."

You are wrong, it is the management's job to make the team better, it is a players job to help accomplish that task. How did NOT replacing Bure help the team get better? So you see your assertion that he made the team worse is biased rubbish. Was Bure some average no account player who wouldn't be missed?

You arguments are tainted by a lack of logic or fairness. You are also wrong in saying he did FA for us. He was effectively top scorer or second top scorer for all 3 of his seasons here..............Yet again we have the CDC double standard. Every player who has an injury or comes back off an injury gets cut slack on here, even Raymond.......... but Messier a veteran is injured on two of the three seasons he is with us and gets slaughtered for not winning a SC single handedly.

Same old CDC. I can't believe this crap.............like kids in the playground wanting to get even for stuff that just happens.

For a start I bet most of you and nearly all of the fan base were wetting themselves at the thought of the guy starting in Vancouver........typical.

Suddenly now a guy who was a stellar performer in New York becomes "What really bugs me is how team management at the time completely bent over to sign this old fart to millions"

Are you listening to yourselves?

He was too good for the Cannucks at the time..............plain and simple. It makes me wonder if your pants have even dried out enough yet to cope with getting Doan..............who also has all the credentials to be a "sign this old fart to millions" Doan the guy that MG is being pilloried for just now because he isn't chucking the farm at.

Hindsight is wonderful..............and it lives and breathes in it's essence on CDC.

Last 6 seasons prior to joining the Canucks.

1991-92.......107 pts in 79 games +31

1992-93.........91 pts in 75 games -6

1993-94.........84 pts in 76 games +25

1994-95.........53 pts in 46 games +8

1995-96.........99 pts in 74 games +29

1996-97.........84 pts in 71 games +12

Obviously we should never have signed the old fart.................

Mogilny was a bust as far as putting up points while Messier was here and Bure was only there for Massier's first year settling in. So that is just a twisting of the facts on your part as far as I can see.

In fact as I have said when Bure (who's last season was 90 pts) left he wasn't replaced by anyone of any standing. How did that help the 37 year old Messier.

Just because many fans may have had outrageous expectations (half of Vancouver seems to live in fantasy land when it comes to hockey and reality) on the acquisition of Messier, totally ignoring the team he was coming into (Messier seems to have done the same it appears) does not make it Messier's fault that he could not perform miracles.

It was completely the fault of the organisation and the ignorance (in a hockey sense) of the Vancouver fans. I don't doubt there were some who tried to point out this over optimism and they were politely told to go away...............we have all seen the utter, over the top pant wetting, reaction to any decent signing on here..........my head is still buzzing from the Kassian trade threads and he is hardly NHL ready never mind a 6 times SC winner.

As for Messier "talking about" a SC when he came. He was only saying what he hoped for, (and probably what the organisation wanted him/asked him to say) would you rather he had looked at the roster and said FFS there is no way that crap will win a SC! He probably thought that he was going to have Bure while he was there and a few more players would come in.

Any one with any sense knows a you don't ask a veteran to win a cup, you ask him to help a good (usually young) team to win a cup.

"This stuff is all very nice, but he did F*ck all for us. He was supposed to make this team better was he not? He had the opposite effect.

I hated the idea of signing that pr*ck in the first place and he made that 10 times worse while he was here, now he has re-ignited that disdain."

You are wrong, it is the management's job to make the team better, it is a players job to help accomplish that task. How did NOT replacing Bure help the team get better? So you see your assertion that he made the team worse is biased rubbish. Was Bure some average no account player who wouldn't be missed?

You arguments are tainted by a lack of logic or fairness. You are also wrong in saying he did FA for us. He was effectively top scorer or second top scorer for all 3 of his seasons here..............Yet again we have the CDC double standard. Every player who has an injury or comes back off an injury gets cut slack on here, even Raymond.......... but Messier a veteran is injured on two of the three seasons he is with us and gets slaughtered for not winning a SC single handedly.

No one was wetting themselves over getting the captain of the team that just friggin beat us in the finals the year before... Everyone wanted to keep Linden... Judging by your comment, you were apparently wetting yourself in your diapers.....no perspective....

1997-8 Second top points scorer to Bure with 60 pts in 82 games. The third player had 45 and the fourth player 34!!!

OK, let's look at ALL the numbers in relation...Messier played 31 games MORE than that "third player" with 45 points. And likely made double the salary. Soooo...

Also, how about comparing him to the rest of the league? He was 40th in points overall - so why not include that number! YET, his salary the fourth highest. So don't compare him to Canucks - he was SUPPOSED to be the best Canuck and was brought in TO improve things - that was the expectation. So let's keep the focus on him, shall we? And, to keep it in perspective, compare him to other leaders in the league who made the $$ he was. Living up to expectations? Hardly. And, as a high paid "leader" brought into a struggling team to supposedly breathe new life in - he failed, miserably.

The management should have given him some help.......that is a fact....you have to be more mature and appreciate that he was not given the tools...

Leaders don't rely on the tools around them, they help others to raise their levels and are counted on to BE the tool that's supposed to fix things. Leaders play for the heart and soul dedication to and love of the game, NOT the pay cheque associated with it. Messier will always be a bust in relation to Vancouver - and it's not the fans' fault, it's his.

Management brought him in to BE the help. That is my point.

Arguably the life of his contract ended when he was bought out unless there was a provision that specifically states that the franchise compensation value survives the termination of the contract. Absent of such survival clause then the assessment value of the franchise owed to him should only be for the 3 year period when his contract was active with the franchise. Pure speculation...but I'm thinking during Messier's term, the franchise was probably not profitting that much and the value of the franchise decreased. Granted Messier did not add value to the franchise during his term, he shouldn't be owed anything. I know I stopped watching the Canucks when he came on board. Alternatively, he's fortunate for not owing the franchise money for losses. Even so by piece mealing information from the internet, I understand the franchise was sold for a total of $300M total and Messier is entitled to 1% isn't that $3. Not sure how they came up with $6M?? I'd like to see this contract and see what exactly the clause(s) state as the information out there seems mixed. Is the monies owed to Messier based on the sale of the franchise or based on the "added" value of the franchise during his term?? "Added" value Messier provided is probably zero if not negative, actual value during his term based on 1% is probably less then $3M, monies owed from the sale of the franchise is $3M.

OK, let's look at ALL the numbers in relation...Messier played 31 games MORE than that "third player" with 45 points. And likely made double the salary. Soooo...

Also, how about comparing him to the rest of the league? He was 40th in points overall - so why not include that number! YET, his salary the fourth highest. So don't compare him to Canucks - he was SUPPOSED to be the best Canuck and was brought in TO improve things - that was the expectation. So let's keep the focus on him, shall we? And, to keep it in perspective, compare him to other leaders in the league who made the $$ he was. Living up to expectations? Hardly. And, as a high paid "leader" brought into a struggling team to supposedly breathe new life in - he failed, miserably.

Leaders don't rely on the tools around them, they help others to raise their levels and are counted on to BE the tool that's supposed to fix things. Leaders play for the heart and soul dedication to and love of the game, NOT the pay cheque associated with it. Messier will always be a bust in relation to Vancouver - and it's not the fans' fault, it's his.

Management brought him in to BE the help. That is my point.

Well stated. Also don't forget management did everything to accommodate that floater from giving him that unofficially retired number to the captaincy and bringing in that clown Keenan.

There is no coincidence that the team played worse with Messier and why Bure wanted out even more after Messier came here...

Messier was a cancer, gave absolutely no effort and collected his millions.

Worst example of a leader many of us have ever seen

Also, how about comparing him to the rest of the league? He was 40th in points overall - so why not include that number! YET, his salary the fourth highest. So don't compare him to Canucks - he was SUPPOSED to be the best Canuck and was brought in TO improve t

I can't stand that bald bastard.

But if they put that in writing, then a contract's a contract. Not like this cash cow of a franchise can't afford it.

What really bugs me is how team management at the time completely bent over to sign this old fart to millions, while at the same time nickel-and-diming Pavel Bure until he refused to even play for us. Sooooo ridiculous.

Archived