Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[Article] Messier Awarded 6 Million From Grievance Case

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
239 replies to this topic

#151 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:43 PM

Mehssier is and always was a prick. The shot on Linden in the 94 scf in the dying seconds ruined any chance of me respecting him.

Not that my opinion matters...But if it did...
Posted Image

#152 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,299 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

The money you spend last season going to that game... oh yeah it went to Mark Messier:)
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#153 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

I can't stand that bald bastard.

But if they put that in writing, then a contract's a contract. Not like this cash cow of a franchise can't afford it.

What really bugs me is how team management at the time completely bent over to sign this old fart to millions, while at the same time nickel-and-diming Pavel Bure until he refused to even play for us. Sooooo ridiculous.

Was the Messier contract and the Bure contract from different management? I do hate paying Messier anything though.
Posted Image

#154 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

First of all I tried to plus you but I am all out. I wanted to plus you for simply taking a stand against the typical love-in for the 'I hate Messier' crowd (which includes some good friends of mine).

However what you are doing is listing all the reasons for people to hate him. He was none of that here. Was it wise to sign him? YES! Look at all he had done. But then the ball went to his court.............and he failed. Now a lot was expected from him and a lot was out of his control. Lousy coach (Renney), disgruntled superstar (Bure), country club attitude, etc. But he was not the Messier of old. There was enough talent here to do more. At least make the goddamn playoffs! But nope. His visit was a disgrace. One of the darkest times in Canuck history.

He is my favourite player of all time.....................but possibly my least favourite Canuck of all time.

The anger and hatred is warranted. If I didn't like him so much for his non-Canuck years I would probably join in with the 'I hate Messier' crowd.

well put....same here.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#155 CanuckChuck

CanuckChuck

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:03 PM

I was going through the pages to see if anyone mentioned anything of this concept... so he was here for 3 years and was bought out.... How was he specifically awarded $6 mil. is what boggles my mind. I won't be surprised to see an appeal to this... *Unless* this clause specifically said that he'll get an extra years salary ($6 mill) if they do indeed raise in value... regardless if they raise up $5-100 mil. They still leveled up... lol. So, tough noogies.. But since that's the case, I feel that Mr. McKaw(k) will have to cough up half of that as he owned 50% of the team at the time. Unless there's a clause in the ownership takeover that says all debts etc. are in the hands of the Aquillini's, which I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case. Nevertheless. It's B.S, but that's what you get from an ownership (at the time) that couldn't give a rats ass unless it was to profit (aka. penny pinching *everything*), IMO, of course

#156 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:07 PM

approx 7 or so years ago i worked at a lotto centre, and one of messier's uncles used to come by to play the 6/49. when i asked this fellow why he keeps playing the lotto since he's related to messier, the uncle simply answered "the moose is cheap".

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#157 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:30 PM

175 points in 207 games in a team that was gash.

1997-8 Second top points scorer to Bure with 60 pts in 82 games. The third player had 45 and the fourth player 34!!!

1998-9 Second again behind Naslund. He had 48 pts in 59 games which would have put him on course to be one point behind Naslund who had 66 pts in 80 games. Mogilny and Muckalt had 45/59 and 36/73 respectively.

1999-0 Third behind Cassels and Naslund. He had 54 pts in 66 games which would have translated to top scorer with 67, 2 ahead of Naslund and 1 ahead of Cassels. Bertuzzi had 50 in 80 games and the 5th player, Mogilny had 38!! (from 47 games)

This doesn't look like a player who wasn't trying to me. And if he wasn't trying then I hate to think what the rest of the team was doing. Have a look at our roster over these years ..............basically it sucks.

I repeat I think Messier was a fool to come to Vancouver. One look at the roster should have warned him off.

Fans deceived to see such a super hero is in fact only human.

Posted Image

#158 Green Building

Green Building

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:41 PM

I was going through the pages to see if anyone mentioned anything of this concept... so he was here for 3 years and was bought out.... How was he specifically awarded $6 mil. is what boggles my mind. I won't be surprised to see an appeal to this... *Unless* this clause specifically said that he'll get an extra years salary ($6 mill) if they do indeed raise in value... regardless if they raise up $5-100 mil. They still leveled up... lol. So, tough noogies.. But since that's the case, I feel that Mr. McKaw(k) will have to cough up half of that as he owned 50% of the team at the time. Unless there's a clause in the ownership takeover that says all debts etc. are in the hands of the Aquillini's, which I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case. Nevertheless. It's B.S, but that's what you get from an ownership (at the time) that couldn't give a rats ass unless it was to profit (aka. penny pinching *everything*), IMO, of course

An article that I recently read stated that in Messiers contract he was to be awarded %1 of the Canucks franchise, I could speculate that this %1 was not paid out to him during his buyout, rather it was just a salary buyout at that time. I don't recall hearing much news about it at that time, but it was before the mass media swoggle that is our current internet conglomerate so news travelled slower, and probably skipped over many people.

Another speculation, mine, is that the 6 mil is considered to be the %1 of our Canucks' current market value, which if he still technically has a claim to, is still technically his.

This is going to sound bad, but Mark Messier......Go DIE.

I regret nothing.

I tend not to be violent, but should it happen, I would raise a pint. To all those who don't appreciate the hate fest, well, get over it. Sports teams have lifelong and emotional fans who, ironically, don't get over it and hold grudges for life.

And telling me that I should be the one to get over it? Well that would mean removing my the Canucks from my heart and moving on from hockey forever. Since that ain't happenning:

Messier, take .Naslund's advice.

#159 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:43 PM

crapty signing. Enuf said.

Won't effect our cap hit next year, if there is a next year.

Hard pill to eat - hopefully for tr past owners

#160 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:52 AM

Messier had Bure & Mogilny on his wings. Don't give us that crap about him not having good team mates.

Messier was paid an enormous 6M per year, nearly tops in the NHL at that time. He was paid to be more than 2 or 3rd point producer on this team. Don't give us that crap about him doing his job. I think your grandma could get more points if she had Bure & Mogilny with her! He floated, never went to the net and probably delivered one body check in his 3 year tenure.

Everything was done to make your Messier happy from giving him his unofficially retired number, to the captaincy and bringing in that clown Keenan.

Your love of Messier is a disgrace and the hatred of Messier is most warranted.

Mogilny was a bust as far as putting up points while Messier was here and Bure was only there for Massier's first year settling in. So that is just a twisting of the facts on your part as far as I can see.
In fact as I have said when Bure (who's last season was 90 pts) left he wasn't replaced by anyone of any standing. How did that help the 37 year old Messier.

Just because many fans may have had outrageous expectations (half of Vancouver seems to live in fantasy land when it comes to hockey and reality) on the acquisition of Messier, totally ignoring the team he was coming into (Messier seems to have done the same it appears) does not make it Messier's fault that he could not perform miracles.

It was completely the fault of the organisation and the ignorance (in a hockey sense) of the Vancouver fans. I don't doubt there were some who tried to point out this over optimism and they were politely told to go away...............we have all seen the utter, over the top pant wetting, reaction to any decent signing on here..........my head is still buzzing from the Kassian trade threads and he is hardly NHL ready never mind a 6 times SC winner.

As for Messier "talking about" a SC when he came. He was only saying what he hoped for, (and probably what the organisation wanted him/asked him to say) would you rather he had looked at the roster and said FFS there is no way that crap will win a SC! He probably thought that he was going to have Bure while he was there and a few more players would come in.

Any one with any sense knows a you don't ask a veteran to win a cup, you ask him to help a good (usually young) team to win a cup.

"This stuff is all very nice, but he did F*ck all for us. He was supposed to make this team better was he not? He had the opposite effect.
I hated the idea of signing that pr*ck in the first place and he made that 10 times worse while he was here, now he has re-ignited that disdain."

You are wrong, it is the management's job to make the team better, it is a players job to help accomplish that task. How did NOT replacing Bure help the team get better? So you see your assertion that he made the team worse is biased rubbish. Was Bure some average no account player who wouldn't be missed?

You arguments are tainted by a lack of logic or fairness. You are also wrong in saying he did FA for us. He was effectively top scorer or second top scorer for all 3 of his seasons here..............Yet again we have the CDC double standard. Every player who has an injury or comes back off an injury gets cut slack on here, even Raymond.......... but Messier a veteran is injured on two of the three seasons he is with us and gets slaughtered for not winning a SC single handedly.
Kevin.jpg

#161 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:57 AM

approx 7 or so years ago i worked at a lotto centre, and one of messier's uncles used to come by to play the 6/49. when i asked this fellow why he keeps playing the lotto since he's related to messier, the uncle simply answered "the moose is cheap".

Who are you? .............
I met a white guy once who said he was Obama's brother and he told me Obama was actually a woman. :picard:
Kevin.jpg

#162 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:43 AM

Messier is a piece of sh*t.
I wouldn't walk across the street to shake his hand, but I would to punch him in the face.

#163 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:28 AM

Messier is a piece of sh*t.
I wouldn't walk across the street to shake his hand, but I would to punch him in the face.

He would help you into the ambulance.
Kevin.jpg

#164 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:38 AM

When Messier was here, he was quite the partyer. Hung out with some indirect acquaintances of mine, I'm not judging but he had some pretty freaky predilections from what I heard and didn't always play for the same team. Just saying he was a rather, and perhaps still is unbalanced individual.

But he has a ton of cash, so why should he care?

#165 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,067 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:46 AM

When Messier was here, he was quite the partyer. Hung out with some indirect acquaintances of mine, I'm not judging but he had some pretty freaky predilections from what I heard and didn't always play for the same team. Just saying he was a rather, and perhaps still is unbalanced individual.

But he has a ton of cash, so why should he care?

Apparently only Bodee cares, and he cares enough for everyone!! .. personally, I would not waste my excess body-excretion on Messier's self-kindlization, if you get my drift .. :sadno:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#166 juwanski

juwanski

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

Mogilny was a bust as far as putting up points while Messier was here and Bure was only there for Massier's first year settling in. So that is just a twisting of the facts on your part as far as I can see.
In fact as I have said when Bure (who's last season was 90 pts) left he wasn't replaced by anyone of any standing. How did that help the 37 year old Messier.

Just because many fans may have had outrageous expectations (half of Vancouver seems to live in fantasy land when it comes to hockey and reality) on the acquisition of Messier, totally ignoring the team he was coming into (Messier seems to have done the same it appears) does not make it Messier's fault that he could not perform miracles.

It was completely the fault of the organisation and the ignorance (in a hockey sense) of the Vancouver fans. I don't doubt there were some who tried to point out this over optimism and they were politely told to go away...............we have all seen the utter, over the top pant wetting, reaction to any decent signing on here..........my head is still buzzing from the Kassian trade threads and he is hardly NHL ready never mind a 6 times SC winner.

As for Messier "talking about" a SC when he came. He was only saying what he hoped for, (and probably what the organisation wanted him/asked him to say) would you rather he had looked at the roster and said FFS there is no way that crap will win a SC! He probably thought that he was going to have Bure while he was there and a few more players would come in.

Any one with any sense knows a you don't ask a veteran to win a cup, you ask him to help a good (usually young) team to win a cup.

"This stuff is all very nice, but he did F*ck all for us. He was supposed to make this team better was he not? He had the opposite effect.
I hated the idea of signing that pr*ck in the first place and he made that 10 times worse while he was here, now he has re-ignited that disdain."

You are wrong, it is the management's job to make the team better, it is a players job to help accomplish that task. How did NOT replacing Bure help the team get better? So you see your assertion that he made the team worse is biased rubbish. Was Bure some average no account player who wouldn't be missed?

You arguments are tainted by a lack of logic or fairness. You are also wrong in saying he did FA for us. He was effectively top scorer or second top scorer for all 3 of his seasons here..............Yet again we have the CDC double standard. Every player who has an injury or comes back off an injury gets cut slack on here, even Raymond.......... but Messier a veteran is injured on two of the three seasons he is with us and gets slaughtered for not winning a SC single handedly.

If he is such an amazing great player how is that on a craptastic team he fell down to their level? instead of bringing them up a little bit. Also comparing him to Naslund? dam did know Naslund was worth comparing to someone who has 6 cups and all the acolades he earned, Naslund did what he could do with what he had, since Mess was such an amazing player he should have done more than he did with what he had. Also Naslund isn't a total douche.

#167 VanIsleNuckFan

VanIsleNuckFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

Same old CDC. I can't believe this crap.............like kids in the playground wanting to get even for stuff that just happens.
For a start I bet most of you and nearly all of the fan base were wetting themselves at the thought of the guy starting in Vancouver........typical.
Suddenly now a guy who was a stellar performer in New York becomes "What really bugs me is how team management at the time completely bent over to sign this old fart to millions"

Are you listening to yourselves?

He was too good for the Cannucks at the time..............plain and simple. It makes me wonder if your pants have even dried out enough yet to cope with getting Doan..............who also has all the credentials to be a "sign this old fart to millions" Doan the guy that MG is being pilloried for just now because he isn't chucking the farm at.

Hindsight is wonderful..............and it lives and breathes in it's essence on CDC.

Last 6 seasons prior to joining the Canucks.

1991-92.......107 pts in 79 games +31
1992-93.........91 pts in 75 games -6
1993-94.........84 pts in 76 games +25
1994-95.........53 pts in 46 games +8
1995-96.........99 pts in 74 games +29
1996-97.........84 pts in 71 games +12

Obviously we should never have signed the old fart.................

No one was wetting themselves over getting the captain of the team that just friggin beat us in the finals the year before... Everyone wanted to keep Linden... Judging by your comment, you were apparently wetting yourself in your diapers.....no perspective....

#168 VanIsleNuckFan

VanIsleNuckFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

When someone has an opinion, I'll be it the right one....you can't say something like you are wrong flat out. ..seems to be a lot of very young idea idealistic morons on here today...it's a friggin opinion... You had quite a few, and they were very.....uh..interesting.... Thanks for sharing..

Edited by VanIsleNuckFan, 04 August 2012 - 10:12 AM.

#169 VanIsleNuckFan

VanIsleNuckFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:15 AM

It's not about stats, or him trying... He ended our miracle run with his "guarantee" and it worked out for them.....never forget!

#170 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

It's not about stats, or him trying... He ended our miracle run with his "guarantee" and it worked out for them.....never forget!

:huh: His guarantee was against NJ
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#171 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

No one was wetting themselves over getting the captain of the team that just friggin beat us in the finals the year before... Everyone wanted to keep Linden... Judging by your comment, you were apparently wetting yourself in your diapers.....no perspective....

You are being disingenuous. Of course most of Vancouver was wetting themselves...........why else would there be such a "spoilt child" hatefest? Judging by your own tone you seem to feel particularly let down.

Time to put it to bed and forget about it.

"If he is such an amazing great player how is that on a craptastic team he fell down to their level? instead of bringing them up a little bit. Also comparing him to Naslund? dam did know Naslund was worth comparing to someone who has 6 cups and all the acolades he earned, Naslund did what he could do with what he had, since Mess was such an amazing player he should have done more than he did with what he had. Also Naslund isn't a total douche."

It is your opinion he fell to their level.

1997-8 Second top points scorer to Bure with 60 pts in 82 games. The third player had 45 and the fourth player 34!!!

1998-9 Second again behind Naslund. He had 48 pts in 59 games which would have put him on course to be one point behind Naslund who had 66 pts in 80 games. Mogilny and Muckalt had 45/59 and 36/73 respectively.

1999-0 Third behind Cassels and Naslund. He had 54 pts in 66 games which would have translated to top scorer with 67, 2 ahead of Naslund and 1 ahead of Cassels. Bertuzzi had 50 in 80 games and the 5th player, Mogilny had 38!! (from 47 games)

I may be wrong but I don't think I compared him to Naslund other than in the stats. I think you are referring to another poster.

Look mate I don't want to patronise you but how is one player at the age of 37 and not even on the ice for the whole game able to transform a duff team into a playoff team.
He won his last SC ring (notice I said ring......it is the TEAM that wins the cup) 4/5 years earlier at the age of 33.

The management should have given him some help.......that is a fact.

While I appreciate how much more convenient it would be to blame all the Canucks ills at that time on a 37 year old veteran who was injured in 2 of the 3 years he played in Vancouver, sooner or later you have to be more mature and appreciate that he was not given the tools.........in fact one of the main tools (Bure) was taken out of the team.

As for taking Linden's place I suppose you realise that was a management decision. In fact the more you examine this whole affair the more you realise this whole disappointment has the management hand in every part of it.

Edited by Bodee, 04 August 2012 - 11:28 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#172 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,706 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

OK, let's look at ALL the numbers in relation...Messier played 31 games MORE than that "third player" with 45 points. And likely made double the salary. Soooo...

Also, how about comparing him to the rest of the league? He was 40th in points overall - so why not include that number! YET, his salary the fourth highest. So don't compare him to Canucks - he was SUPPOSED to be the best Canuck and was brought in TO improve things - that was the expectation. So let's keep the focus on him, shall we? And, to keep it in perspective, compare him to other leaders in the league who made the $$ he was. Living up to expectations? Hardly. And, as a high paid "leader" brought into a struggling team to supposedly breathe new life in - he failed, miserably.

The management should have given him some help.......that is a fact....you have to be more mature and appreciate that he was not given the tools...

Leaders don't rely on the tools around them, they help others to raise their levels and are counted on to BE the tool that's supposed to fix things. Leaders play for the heart and soul dedication to and love of the game, NOT the pay cheque associated with it. Messier will always be a bust in relation to Vancouver - and it's not the fans' fault, it's his.

Management brought him in to BE the help. That is my point.

Posted Image

#173 blueliner1955

blueliner1955

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

oops mistake another fine print below that 1 canucks better quit signing to long term with fine print how many others doing this to get xtra money heh better read luongo contract lol

#174 Mauii

Mauii

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

Arguably the life of his contract ended when he was bought out unless there was a provision that specifically states that the franchise compensation value survives the termination of the contract. Absent of such survival clause then the assessment value of the franchise owed to him should only be for the 3 year period when his contract was active with the franchise. Pure speculation...but I'm thinking during Messier's term, the franchise was probably not profitting that much and the value of the franchise decreased. Granted Messier did not add value to the franchise during his term, he shouldn't be owed anything. I know I stopped watching the Canucks when he came on board. Alternatively, he's fortunate for not owing the franchise money for losses. Even so by piece mealing information from the internet, I understand the franchise was sold for a total of $300M total and Messier is entitled to 1% isn't that $3. Not sure how they came up with $6M?? I'd like to see this contract and see what exactly the clause(s) state as the information out there seems mixed. Is the monies owed to Messier based on the sale of the franchise or based on the "added" value of the franchise during his term?? "Added" value Messier provided is probably zero if not negative, actual value during his term based on 1% is probably less then $3M, monies owed from the sale of the franchise is $3M.
"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."

#175 grandmaster

grandmaster

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

OK, let's look at ALL the numbers in relation...Messier played 31 games MORE than that "third player" with 45 points. And likely made double the salary. Soooo...

Also, how about comparing him to the rest of the league? He was 40th in points overall - so why not include that number! YET, his salary the fourth highest. So don't compare him to Canucks - he was SUPPOSED to be the best Canuck and was brought in TO improve things - that was the expectation. So let's keep the focus on him, shall we? And, to keep it in perspective, compare him to other leaders in the league who made the $$ he was. Living up to expectations? Hardly. And, as a high paid "leader" brought into a struggling team to supposedly breathe new life in - he failed, miserably.

Leaders don't rely on the tools around them, they help others to raise their levels and are counted on to BE the tool that's supposed to fix things. Leaders play for the heart and soul dedication to and love of the game, NOT the pay cheque associated with it. Messier will always be a bust in relation to Vancouver - and it's not the fans' fault, it's his.

Management brought him in to BE the help. That is my point.

Well stated. Also don't forget management did everything to accommodate that floater from giving him that unofficially retired number to the captaincy and bringing in that clown Keenan.

There is no coincidence that the team played worse with Messier and why Bure wanted out even more after Messier came here...

Messier was a cancer, gave absolutely no effort and collected his millions.

Worst example of a leader many of us have ever seen

Favorite all time Canuck: Bertuzzi 2002-2003 season
Most clutch all time Canuck: Linden 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs
Most exciting all time Canuck: Pavel Bure 90's

#176 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,120 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

Hopefully he uses that money to hire Dany Heatley as his personal chauffeur.

CMc20QE.gif

Put Gino in the ROH

#177 Templeton Peck

Templeton Peck

Faceman

• Super Moderators
  • 6,060 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

He probably needs the money to remove all the pictures of him and Gary Coleman from the Internet.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please read the Board Rules.

#178 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

Well stated. Also don't forget management did everything to accommodate that floater from giving him that unofficially retired number to the captaincy and bringing in that clown Keenan.

There is no coincidence that the team played worse with Messier and why Bure wanted out even more after Messier came here...

Messier was a cancer, gave absolutely no effort and collected his millions.

Worst example of a leader many of us have ever seen

By "many of us" I assume you mean fanatic Canuck fans. The rest of the league thought enough of his leadership to name a leadership trophy after him. But what does the rest of the league know, right?.

#179 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:41 PM

Also, how about comparing him to the rest of the league? He was 40th in points overall - so why not include that number! YET, his salary the fourth highest. So don't compare him to Canucks - he was SUPPOSED to be the best Canuck and was brought in TO improve t

You could say exactly the same thing about Naslund during his last three years here. His weak performance during that time was constantly attributed to him not having quality linemates by the majority on this board, despite the fact that the team he was on was far superior to Messier's and Naslund was coddled and wet nursed as much or more than Messier (did Messier ever go 17 games without a goal in his time here?). His leadership abilities were pathetic at best and the revolving door of linemates suggests that he couldn't make anybody else better. As for the"the heart and soul dedication to and love of the game, NOT the paycheque associated with it" I'm assuming you have forgotton the bit where Naslund threatened to go back to Sweden (ostensibly in order to bring his kids up in Sweden). That conceit evaporated with the $18 million contract and was not even mentioned when he signed with the Rangers. As Cyndi Lauper sings "money changes everything". Messier is being crucified here because he didn't singlehandedly win us a Cup which reflects very poorly on the Canuck fan base (or at least most of them). I hope for Doan's sake he doesn't sign here; if he doesn't explode offensively his name will be mud by Christmas.

I should also say that I am neither hating on Naslund nor am I any big fan of Messier's. In fact I was very opposed to the Messier signing when it happened and I was proven right about it; he didn't have enough in him to change a lousy team into a good one. I simply find it hypocritical that Messier is hated so vehemently on this board while Naslund is still worshipped here when both of their last three years with this team were so similar.

Edited by thema, 04 August 2012 - 02:52 PM.

#180 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

I can't stand that bald bastard.

But if they put that in writing, then a contract's a contract. Not like this cash cow of a franchise can't afford it.

What really bugs me is how team management at the time completely bent over to sign this old fart to millions, while at the same time nickel-and-diming Pavel Bure until he refused to even play for us. Sooooo ridiculous.

Bure was making 5 mil a yr so i would hardly call that nickel and diming him and as for the speculation as to why he wanted out , There was a rumour yrs ago that when he signed his contract here before the lockout in the mid 90s he claimed he had been promised even if there was a strike he would still be paid during the strike and canucks claimed that was not true and infact would not be allowed to even pay him during a strike which caused bad blood between Bure and the Canucks

Edited by ccc44, 04 August 2012 - 02:44 PM.

Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.