The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Messier Awarded 6 Million From Grievance Case

Alex the Great

Messier had Bure & Mogilny on his wings. Don't give us that crap about him not having good team mates.

Messier was paid an enormous 6M per year, nearly tops in the NHL at that time. He was paid to be more than 2 or 3rd point producer on this team. Don't give us that crap about him doing his job. I think your grandma could get more points if she had Bure & Mogilny with her! He floated, never went to the net and probably delivered one body check in his 3 year tenure.

Everything was done to make your Messier happy from giving him his unofficially retired number, to the captaincy and bringing in that clown Keenan.

Your love of Messier is a disgrace and the hatred of Messier is most warranted.

Same old CDC. I can't believe this crap.............like kids in the playground wanting to get even for stuff that just happens.

For a start I bet most of you and nearly all of the fan base were wetting themselves at the thought of the guy starting in Vancouver........typical.

Suddenly now a guy who was a stellar performer in New York becomes "What really bugs me is how team management at the time completely bent over to sign this old fart to millions"

Are you listening to yourselves?

He was too good for the Cannucks at the time..............plain and simple. It makes me wonder if your pants have even dried out enough yet to cope with getting Doan..............who also has all the credentials to be a "sign this old fart to millions" Doan the guy that MG is being pilloried for just now because he isn't chucking the farm at.

Hindsight is wonderful..............and it lives and breathes in it's essence on CDC.

Last 6 seasons prior to joining the Canucks.

1991-92.......107 pts in 79 games +31

1992-93.........91 pts in 75 games -6

1993-94.........84 pts in 76 games +25

1994-95.........53 pts in 46 games +8

1995-96.........99 pts in 74 games +29

1996-97.........84 pts in 71 games +12

Obviously we should never have signed the old fart.................

I can't stand that bald bastard.

But if they put that in writing, then a contract's a contract. Not like this cash cow of a franchise can't afford it.

What really bugs me is how team management at the time completely bent over to sign this old fart to millions, while at the same time nickel-and-diming Pavel Bure until he refused to even play for us. Sooooo ridiculous.

First of all I tried to plus you but I am all out. I wanted to plus you for simply taking a stand against the typical love-in for the 'I hate Messier' crowd (which includes some good friends of mine).

However what you are doing is listing all the reasons for people to hate him. He was none of that here. Was it wise to sign him? YES! Look at all he had done. But then the ball went to his court.............and he failed. Now a lot was expected from him and a lot was out of his control. Lousy coach (Renney), disgruntled superstar (Bure), country club attitude, etc. But he was not the Messier of old. There was enough talent here to do more. At least make the goddamn playoffs! But nope. His visit was a disgrace. One of the darkest times in Canuck history.

He is my favourite player of all time.....................but possibly my least favourite Canuck of all time.

The anger and hatred is warranted. If I didn't like him so much for his non-Canuck years I would probably join in with the 'I hate Messier' crowd.

I was going through the pages to see if anyone mentioned anything of this concept... so he was here for 3 years and was bought out.... How was he specifically awarded $6 mil. is what boggles my mind. I won't be surprised to see an appeal to this... *Unless* this clause specifically said that he'll get an extra years salary ($6 mill) if they do indeed raise in value... regardless if they raise up $5-100 mil. They still leveled up... lol. So, tough noogies.. But since that's the case, I feel that Mr. McKaw(k) will have to cough up half of that as he owned 50% of the team at the time. Unless there's a clause in the ownership takeover that says all debts etc. are in the hands of the Aquillini's, which I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case. Nevertheless. It's B.S, but that's what you get from an ownership (at the time) that couldn't give a rats ass unless it was to profit (aka. penny pinching *everything*), IMO, of course

175 points in 207 games in a team that was gash.

1997-8 Second top points scorer to Bure with 60 pts in 82 games. The third player had 45 and the fourth player 34!!!

1998-9 Second again behind Naslund. He had 48 pts in 59 games which would have put him on course to be one point behind Naslund who had 66 pts in 80 games. Mogilny and Muckalt had 45/59 and 36/73 respectively.

1999-0 Third behind Cassels and Naslund. He had 54 pts in 66 games which would have translated to top scorer with 67, 2 ahead of Naslund and 1 ahead of Cassels. Bertuzzi had 50 in 80 games and the 5th player, Mogilny had 38!! (from 47 games)

This doesn't look like a player who wasn't trying to me. And if he wasn't trying then I hate to think what the rest of the team was doing. Have a look at our roster over these years ..............basically it sucks.

I repeat I think Messier was a fool to come to Vancouver. One look at the roster should have warned him off.

I was going through the pages to see if anyone mentioned anything of this concept... so he was here for 3 years and was bought out.... How was he specifically awarded $6 mil. is what boggles my mind. I won't be surprised to see an appeal to this... *Unless* this clause specifically said that he'll get an extra years salary ($6 mill) if they do indeed raise in value... regardless if they raise up $5-100 mil. They still leveled up... lol. So, tough noogies.. But since that's the case, I feel that Mr. McKaw(k) will have to cough up half of that as he owned 50% of the team at the time. Unless there's a clause in the ownership takeover that says all debts etc. are in the hands of the Aquillini's, which I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case. Nevertheless. It's B.S, but that's what you get from an ownership (at the time) that couldn't give a rats ass unless it was to profit (aka. penny pinching *everything*), IMO, of course

Messier had Bure & Mogilny on his wings. Don't give us that crap about him not having good team mates.

Messier was paid an enormous 6M per year, nearly tops in the NHL at that time. He was paid to be more than 2 or 3rd point producer on this team. Don't give us that crap about him doing his job. I think your grandma could get more points if she had Bure & Mogilny with her! He floated, never went to the net and probably delivered one body check in his 3 year tenure.

Everything was done to make your Messier happy from giving him his unofficially retired number, to the captaincy and bringing in that clown Keenan.

Your love of Messier is a disgrace and the hatred of Messier is most warranted.

Archived