Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:59 PM

POPULAR

Christy Clark: Bible Helps Me Make Tough Decisions

Christy Clark has said the the Bible helps her make tough decisions.

Appearing on evangelical Christian talk show "100 Huntley Street," the B.C. premier, and devout Anglican, said the holy book helps her to make difficult choices that will pay off long-term, rather than expedient decisions that might satisfy people immediately (You can see her answer starting at 4:27 in the video, the reference to the bible comes at around 5:30).

"Part of it is just trying to find the courage to do the right thing," Clark replied after being asked what is most challenging about being premier.

"Many times, as with many decisions that we face, and we learn this in the Bible, it’s much easier to make a short-term decision that will make everybody happy or that will make your life a little bit easier, than it is to make a long-term decision that’s good for the future but may be tough in the short run."

While Clark did not make direct reference to the ongoing spat with Alberta over royalties from the proposed Northern Gateway pipeline, her comments certainly could apply to the situation. Clark is demanding a bigger piece of the financial benefits from the project and is threatening to stop the pipeline in its tracks if she doesn't get it.

However, the pipeline is unpopular in B.C. and Clark is facing an uphill battle in the next election against Adrian Dix's NDP, which is currently leading in the polls. So picking a fight over the pipeline may not be as tough a decision as it appears.

Clark also talked about families during the interview.

"The most important structure in any society is a family," Clark said. "The hardest work in the world is the work that parents do in raising kids with character and with morals."

Clark said her Liberal government is working to create more jobs to make things easier for B.C.'s families.

"100 Huntley Street" describes itself as a show which brings the "amazing stories of people who have had life changing encounters with God — whether they be world leaders, celebrities, sports figures or everyday people like you and me." The program is produced by Crossroads Christian Communications.

A recent guest was Tory MP Harold Albrecht, one of the most staunchly anti-abortion politicians in Stephen Harper's caucus.

B.C.'s premier has made a noticeable pivot to the right in recent months as the B.C. Conservatives have begun to squeeze out support for the Liberals on the right. The Liberal Party in B.C. is a centre-right party.

Clark hired staunch Tory and former Stephen Harper adviser Ken Boessenkool as her chief of staff in January. Boessenkool has said he "came out of the womb right wing."

B.C.'s premier has also brought on Sarah MacIntyre, another former Harper staffer, has her new press handler.

Her hires aren't the only sign Clark is shifting to the right. Earlier this year, Clark made headlines after being photographed at a her son's hockey game with the prime minister, Tim Hortons coffee cups clearly visible.

The TV appearance touting her religion may be the latest sign Clark is seeking to become more conservative in the eyes of voters in the hopes of preventing a split of the centre-right vote in the next election that would allow for an easy NDP victory.

Vancouver Sun has an article available here: http://www.vancouver...6878/story.html

BIBLE NO BASIS FOR PUBLIC POLICY, DECLARE BC HUMANISTS

Premier Clark’s Recent Comments Alarm Secularists

1 August 2012

– Comments by BC Premier Christy Clark have members of the BC Humanist Association concerned that the separation of church and state may be eroded in Canada’s least religious province.

On a recent episode of 100 Huntley Street, an evangelical Christian talk show, Clark – a “devout Anglican” – stated that she bases some of her decisions on what she learns in the Bible.

The BC Humanists, a non-partisan charity, fear that by basing policy decisions on the Bible, the premier may exclude the views of roughly half of the province that does not identify as Christian, and may follow policies based on faith rather than pragmatic reality.

“Policies should be formed in the best interests of all the people of the province and based on the best available evidence,” says Ian Bushfield, Executive Director of the BC Humanists. “The Bible is of great literary value, but lacks the critical analysis necessary to deal with today’s exceptional challenges.”

Since 1984, the BC Humanist Association has represented atheists, agnostics, and secular humanists across the province. Its vision is a secular society based on the universal values of reason and compassion.

http://bchumanist.ca...re-bc-humanists

Invoking the Bible for votes??

:picard:

Give your soul to God Christy, because your $3,267-Oyster-eating-on-the-public-dime's ass belongs to the BC voters shortly.

Let me guess, the Endbridge Pipeline was ordained from God eh Christy? Moron....or is it Mormon? Hard to tell which label of stupidity to categorize her in.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#2 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

Seriously...? :picard:

#3 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,975 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:27 PM

POPULAR

:lol: at atheists. - From an atheists.

Oh no! She said something.. Lets not respect her belief...

Face it Christianity/Catholicism have played a pretty large role in Canadian politics since the start of this country.

How about our anthem:

"O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee."

To make a big deal over this is ludicrous and silly Sharpshooter. As far as I'm concerned she can believe whatever she wants as long as she doesn't make us all forced to become Christians.

Edited by Armada, 03 August 2012 - 06:00 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#4 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,808 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

Christy's bedtime prayer "Oh lord Xenu give me power to get this pipeline approved"

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#5 stonecoldstevebernier

stonecoldstevebernier

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

Meh, I'm an atheist, and it doesn't really bother me... everyone's entitled to their own beliefs. I vote for people based on their policies, not their personal lives and what they do on their own time. It's not like she's saying everyone should convert to Christianity or anything like that. She's not forcing them on others, she's appearing on a Christian program talking about her beliefs and I highly doubt anybody other than devout Christians listen to that sort of thing so who cares?

(also, I wasn't planning on voting Liberal anyways)

Edited by stonecoldstevebernier, 03 August 2012 - 05:43 PM.

Posted Image

3DS FC: 2664 3135 8148. Feel free to add me!

#6 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

...except she's not using the Bible to create policy, nor does she have jurisdiction over controversial issues like abortion or same-sex marriage - those are all at the federal level.

She might be Anglican, but her cabinet isn't.

#7 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,511 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

Invoking the Bible for votes??

:picard:

Give your soul to God Christy, because your $3,267-Oyster-eating-on-the-public-dime's ass belongs to the BC voters shortly.

Let me guess, the Endbridge Pipeline was ordained from God eh Christy? Moron....or is it Mormon? Hard to tell which label of stupidity to categorize her in.

I was at my cousin's new restaurant the other day with a table of 20 and the oysters only came to $140. Make me premier, I'll balance the budget on food alone!

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#8 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

Meh, I'm an atheist, and it doesn't really bother me... everyone's entitled to their own beliefs. I vote for people based on their policies, not their personal lives and what they do on their own time. It's not like she's saying everyone should convert to Christianity or anything like that. She's not forcing them on others, she's appearing on a Christian program talking about her beliefs and I highly doubt anybody other than devout Christians listen to that sort of thing so who cares?

And Sharpshooter, for whatever reason...

#9 AbbyNucksFan

AbbyNucksFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

I was at my cousin's new restaurant the other day with a table of 20 and the oysters only came to $140. Make me premier, I'll balance the budget on food alone!

nice plug.. way to slip that in there :)
Posted Image

Credit to LostViking for the sig! Thanks!

#10 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,975 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

The cow didn't moo. I'm not satisfied.
Posted Image

#11 Fibbing

Fibbing

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

I could care less if the Bible helps her or not. WTF??

#12 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:07 PM

...except she's not using the Bible to create policy, nor does she have jurisdiction over controversial issues like abortion or same-sex marriage - those are all at the federal level.

She might be Anglican, but her cabinet isn't.

How do you know she isn't making policy or gov't decisions based on her faith?

the B.C. premier, and

devout Anglican

, said the holy book helps her to make difficult choices that will pay off long-term, rather than expedient decisions that might satisfy people immediately

Not to mention that she's a complete bullS#%! artist who doesn't really care about BC's future as much as she does about her own short term success.

“The premier is putting on a show because she's under political pressure and needs votes, but her actions have very real consequences for us here on the land. This is our lives, the well-being of our families that she is playing with. We won't let her sell our lands out from under us."

"You can't put a price tag on our future. The premier's sales job shows how little she has listened to us. It should be very clear to her by now that this pipeline will not be built,” said Chief Martin Louie.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#13 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

I don't see why people have to bring this up in interviews. You are religious? Good for you. I don't walk around the office telling people that the trade I made was because being Agnostic or Atheist or Catholic really helped me. Whether it did or not is not the point. Other's don't need to know because then you are imposing something, even if not intentionally.

Same argument as the gay pride thing. Good for you, but no one walks around shouting from the rooftops how gloriously straight they are so.... how about everyone just tones down their personal business. We are in an age of no filter.

#14 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

And Sharpshooter, for whatever reason...

Perhaps i should stick my fingers in my ears like you do?

#15 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:11 PM

How do you know she isn't making policy or gov't decisions based on her faith?

I'm worried about anyone making policy based on their faith or any personal morals I find reprehensible.

However, the odds of that not happening.. nothing in the realm of realistic. Everyone has their own political idiosyncrasies that surely the populace might be at odds with, or some select group of it.

As long as she isn't overtly making policy decisions that infringe on others' freedoms to be free from religion I don't see a reason to make a big deal out of it.

Not to mention that she's a complete bullS#%! artist who doesn't really care about BC's future as much as she does about her own short term success.

Sounds like the status quo to me..

Edited by zaibatsu, 03 August 2012 - 06:13 PM.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#16 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

I'm worried about anyone making policy based on their faith or any personal morals I find reprehensible.

However, the odds of that not happening.. nothing in the realm of realistic.

As long as she isn't overtly making policy decisions that infringe on others' freedoms to be free from religion I don't see a reason to make a big deal out of it.

Sounds like the status quo to me..

You'd be ok with decisions she made non-overtly then based on her religious beliefs? It seems she's overtly suggesting she would.

#17 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:15 PM

You'd be ok with decisions she made non-overtly then based on her religious beliefs? It seems she's overtly suggesting she would.

What are the odds you as a policy maker would make policies I find personally reprehensible?

Or vice versa?

Overtly or otherwise..

Edited by zaibatsu, 03 August 2012 - 06:16 PM.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#18 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

I would like to hear about what "tough" decisions she has had to make using this method. Sounds like a bunch of hooey to me. If she can't come to a decision using available information and sound reasoning then maybe she should let someone else do it. I'd prefer that she seek help from someone capable of the task rather than seeking help from an invisible sky man in her head.
Posted Image

#19 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

What are the odds you as a policy maker would make policies I find personally reprehensible?

Or vice versa?

Overtly or otherwise..

Policies made from non-belief in a sky-daddy? I don't know, you tell me.

#20 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,975 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

Perhaps i should stick my fingers in my ears like you do?

This whole country was created based on religion. :picard:

You must be living under a rock cause religion has influenced politics since... Well, FOREVER.

Edited by Armada, 03 August 2012 - 06:24 PM.

Posted Image

#21 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

What I'm getting at is everyone has their own subjective credo they are led by. Some of the most intelligent secularists were also led by subjective religious moral characteristics that would be part of their policy as well, some of the most moronic people I've seen were also led by non-religious moral characteristics. Elected representatives are always primarily going to go with their instincts, which I may disagree with but if I were to personally dictate policy makers based on my subjective beliefs I'd be the only one I could vote for, which doesn't sound particularly bright. One has to accept the fact that even smart people will believe in stupid things, but as long as the respect for freedoms, culture, and fiscal soundness are present, I don't care what they subjectively believe in.

Also, to add, subjective things like this are marketed because politicians tend to use them as a distraction to get people arguing over this rather than the actual, objective policies that are implemented with far less attention given. This distraction technique is used all too commonly in the states, I like to avoid it with Canadian politics.

-- Jeff Ross

#22 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,317 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:29 PM

I love how it's Sharpshooter posting this story, glad she can speak about her beliefs openly.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#23 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

This whole country was created based on religion. :picard:

You must be living under a rock cause religion has influenced politics since... Well, FOREVER.

Maybe you want your religion to influence your gov'ts policies, but I don't.

#24 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:44 PM

I love how it's Sharpshooter posting this story, glad she can speak about her beliefs openly.

You love how I posted this story? You seem to love odd things.

She's perfectly free to speak about her beliefs. The cause for concern is that her beliefs which are not grounded in any facts, could be used to determine policies that affect the lives of others.

#25 G.K. Chesterton

G.K. Chesterton

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,045 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

Maybe you want your religion to influence your gov'ts policies, but I don't.

:picard: Numerous historians will attest to the fact that without Christianity the West would be a much different place - for the worse.

As for Clark's comments - I take it as a desperate attempt to reach out to conservative-minded voters in order to draw support away from John Cummins. She herself is a social liberal and I've never really heard her comment on religion until now, with Liberal support plummeting.
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#26 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

What I'm getting at is everyone has their own subjective credo they are led by. Some of the most intelligent secularists were also led by subjective religious moral characteristics that would be part of their policy as well, some of the most moronic people I've seen were also led by non-religious moral characteristics. Elected representatives are always primarily going to go with their instincts, which I may disagree with but if I were to personally dictate policy makers based on my subjective beliefs I'd be the only one I could vote for, which doesn't sound particularly bright. One has to accept the fact that even smart people will believe in stupid things, but as long as the respect for freedoms, culture, and fiscal soundness are present, I don't care what they subjectively believe in.

Also, to add, subjective things like this are marketed because politicians tend to use them as a distraction to get people arguing over this rather than the actual, objective policies that are implemented with far less attention given. This distraction technique is used all too commonly in the states, I like to avoid it with Canadian politics.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything there. The point isn't whether she's free to believe what she wants. The point is that she could very well be informing herself in making decisions that affect people in B.C. from a source that has no basis in logic, rationality or evidence. That's dangerous. Endangering the lives or livelihood of any citizen based on supernatural beliefs or books while in a secular position of authority is beyond her mandate let alone beyond the pale.

#27 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,317 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

You love how I posted this story? You seem to love odd things.

She's perfectly free to speak about her beliefs. The cause for concern is that her beliefs which are not grounded in any facts, could be used to determine policies that affect the lives of others.

Whatever you say Sharpie,

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#28 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

:picard: Numerous historians will attest to the fact that without Christianity the West would be a much different place - for the worse.

As for Clark's comments - I take it as a desperate attempt to reach out to conservative-minded voters in order to draw support away from John Cummins. She herself is a social liberal and I've never really heard her comment on religion until now, with Liberal support plummeting.

The opinions of numerous historians are irrelevant to this topic since most Western gov'ts have shed Christianity or any religion text as a source for current governmental policy making, which is the topic at hand.

Her desperation is quite evident.

#29 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

I would identify myself as atheist. Despite this I can’t really fault Christy Clark for looking to the bible for inspiration more so than any other political leader. Up until this point every Premier of BC, every Prime Minister of Canada and every President of the United States has been publicly affiliated with their religious denomination. Why is this special in Christy Clark’s case and not the others? The fact is religion still plays a significant part in the majority of people’s lives and belittling and ridiculing their beliefs won’t lead to any positive change.

Atheists also look to the work of literature to inspire and shape their attitudes. Are we to believe that those texts are without criticism and are completely valid? I’m happy to live in Canada where we are very tolerant of people’s belief regardless and lived in a secular society. By and large I think Christy Clark and other Canadian politicians have done a commendable job in separate their personal beliefs from their political decisions when they represent the public.

If this interview by Christy Clark affects how you feel about her how do you feel about the leaders of the other major political parties in BC? They are both openly religious.

#30 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

I would identify myself as atheist. Despite this I can’t really fault Christy Clark for looking to the bible for inspiration more so than any other political leader. Up until this point every Premier of BC, every Prime Minister of Canada and every President of the United States has been publicly affiliated with their religious denomination. Why is this special in Christy Clark’s case and not the others? The fact is religion still plays a significant part in the majority of people’s lives and belittling and ridiculing their beliefs won’t lead to any positive change.

Atheists also look to the work of literature to inspire and shape their attitudes. Are we to believe that those texts are without criticism and are completely valid? I’m happy to live in Canada where we are very tolerant of people’s belief regardless and lived in a secular society. By and large I think Christy Clark and other Canadian politicians have done a commendable job in separate their personal beliefs from their political decisions when they represent the public.

If this interview by Christy Clark affects how you feel about her how do you feel about the leaders of the other major political parties in BC? They are both openly religious.

The key point that you may be overlooking is that having specific religious beliefs are not the issue. Basing secular decisions through religious interpretation of supernatural dogma is not in her office's mandate. We did not elect the Vicar of Christ here in British Columbia, which is the most secular province in Canada, we elected a secular representative to make secular decisions on secular issues, based on secular evidence, informed by secular facts.

She is being paid to represent the best future interests of B.C. regions and peoples, and not her own religious ones in her policy-making. That's not an expectation of intolerance, but of secular society holding a secular representative accountable for the manner in which she describes her decision and possibly her policy making process, which affects those of us who may or may not share her interpretations that inform her religious beliefs.

Making social decisions based on religious dogma is a recipe for poor governing in today's world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.