The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christy Clark's Religion Comments Spark Criticism From B.C. Atheists

Sharpshooter

A good story needs a bad guy to rally against, and a hero to rally around.

That and all the other mumbo jumbo in the Bible tells you, that it's simply a book of fictional stories.

Good things in the world = God/Good

Bad things in the world = Satan/Evil

Every man-made mythology has a Superman/Lex Luthor character.....Christianity is no different in its characters and or its makers.

Morality + Ethics versus Immorality + Unethical Behaviour is present and within the inherent capability of everyone.....and religions have simply put those lessons into story form that were easy to tell and spread and use to control the behaviour of society and individuals within it.

We've moved beyond those antiquated simplistic stories into more complex moral and immoral territory with a set of laws and ethical standards in order to shape/reward/punish certain social and individualistic behaviours.

Religions didn't invent morality or ethics, and they don't have the last best word on it.....they were part of the evolution of them, while neither being the starting point, nor the final destination.

Isn't Satan (how many people did I offend capitalizing the S) like the boogeyman? You tell your kids stop being idiots or the boogeyman will get them. No child has ever seen the boogeyman but they straighten their crap out!

Here are my final thoughts on the original topic:

As people vote in a democracy, they choose the right candidate that represents them the most. To vote for someone or a political party, each voter should consider their political views, passions, and values. It's hard to digest, but voters expect their candidate to make decisions based on those things, no matter where those values come from. To discriminate the Bible as a poor source of values would also be like discriminating a certain candidate that comes from a certain school, culture, or upbringing.

I think the only discriminating going on comes from those who assume the Bible is a more worthy text then its Abrahamic (or otherwise) counterparts.

What if Clark claimed she was consulting the Koran or Torah rather then the Bible? Would that sit well with you?

In this corner of the world where we have freedom of religion, they are all equal in validity. I find it to be a sleazy way to win votes and gain influence.

What tripe are they swallowing? Anyone with a half ounce of wisdom knows it's a PR move. Anyone with a full ounce of wisdom knows it's silly to even give their subjective beliefs they espouse any attention unless they actually use it to impose their religion upon others -- until that point, it being a complete waste of attention and unnecessary drama.

A good story needs a bad guy to rally against, and a hero to rally around.

That and all the other mumbo jumbo in the Bible tells you, that it's simply a book of fictional stories.

Good things in the world = God/Good

Bad things in the world = Satan/Evil

Every man-made mythology has a Superman/Lex Luthor character.....Christianity is no different in its characters and or its makers.

Morality + Ethics versus Immorality + Unethical Behaviour is present and within the inherent capability of everyone.....and religions have simply put those lessons into story form that were easy to tell and spread and use to control the behaviour of society and individuals within it.

We've moved beyond those antiquated simplistic stories into more complex moral and immoral territory with a set of laws and ethical standards in order to shape/reward/punish certain social and individualistic behaviours.

Religions didn't invent morality or ethics, and they don't have the last best word on it.....they were part of the evolution of them, while neither being the starting point, nor the final destination.

Dont you know what I mean?

I meant discrimination in a sense where one religion gets priority; this shouldnt happen in a free society.

Although now that I think about it, its not all that much of a stretch to claim intolerance is an inherent feature of religions with jealous and/or intolerant gods.

Archived