The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christy Clark's Religion Comments Spark Criticism From B.C. Atheists

Sharpshooter

Christy Clark: Bible Helps Me Make Tough Decisions

Appearing on evangelical Christian talk show "100 Huntley Street," the B.C. premier, and devout Anglican, said the holy book helps her to make difficult choices that will pay off long-term, rather than expedient decisions that might satisfy people immediately (You can see her answer starting at 4:27 in the video, the reference to the bible comes at around 5:30).

"Part of it is just trying to find the courage to do the right thing," Clark replied after being asked what is most challenging about being premier.

"Many times, as with many decisions that we face, and we learn this in the Bible, it’s much easier to make a short-term decision that will make everybody happy or that will make your life a little bit easier, than it is to make a long-term decision that’s good for the future but may be tough in the short run."

While Clark did not make direct reference to the ongoing spat with Alberta over royalties from the proposed Northern Gateway pipeline, her comments certainly could apply to the situation.

Clark is demanding a bigger piece of the financial benefits from the project and is threatening to stop the pipeline in its tracks if she doesn't get it.

However, the pipeline is unpopular in B.C. and Clark is facing an uphill battle in the next election against Adrian Dix's NDP, which is currently leading in the polls. So picking a fight over the pipeline may not be as tough a decision as it appears.

Clark also talked about families during the interview.

"The most important structure in any society is a family," Clark said. "The hardest work in the world is the work that parents do in raising kids with character and with morals."

Clark said her Liberal government is working to create more jobs to make things easier for B.C.'s families.

"100 Huntley Street" describes itself as a show which brings the "amazing stories of people who have had life changing encounters with God — whether they be world leaders, celebrities, sports figures or everyday people like you and me." The program is produced by Crossroads Christian Communications.

A

one of the most staunchly anti-abortion politicians in Stephen Harper's caucus.

B.C.'s premier has made a noticeable pivot to the right in recent months as the B.C. Conservatives have begun to squeeze out support for the Liberals on the right. The Liberal Party in B.C. is a centre-right party.

Clark hired staunch Tory and former Stephen Harper adviser Ken Boessenkool as her chief of staff in January. Boessenkool has said he "came out of the womb right wing."

B.C.'s premier has also brought on Sarah MacIntyre, another former Harper staffer, has her new press handler.

Her hires aren't the only sign Clark is shifting to the right. Earlier this year,

Clark made headlines after being photographed at a her son's hockey game with the prime minister, Tim Hortons coffee cups clearly visible.

The TV appearance touting her religion may be the latest sign Clark is seeking to become more conservative in the eyes of voters in the hopes of preventing a split of the centre-right vote in the next election that would allow for an easy NDP victory.

Vancouver Sun has an article available here: http://www.vancouver...6878/story.html

:lol: at atheists. - From an atheists.

Oh no! She said something.. Lets not respect her belief...

Face it Christianity/Catholicism have played a pretty large role in Canadian politics since the start of this country.

How about our anthem:

"O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee."

To make a big deal over this is ludicrous and silly Sharpshooter. As far as I'm concerned she can believe whatever she wants as long as she doesn't make us all forced to become Christians.

Meh, I'm an atheist, and it doesn't really bother me... everyone's entitled to their own beliefs. I vote for people based on their policies, not their personal lives and what they do on their own time. It's not like she's saying everyone should convert to Christianity or anything like that. She's not forcing them on others, she's appearing on a Christian program talking about her beliefs and I highly doubt anybody other than devout Christians listen to that sort of thing so who cares?

(also, I wasn't planning on voting Liberal anyways)

Invoking the Bible for votes??

:picard:

Give your soul to God Christy, because your $3,267-Oyster-eating-on-the-public-dime's ass belongs to the BC voters shortly.

Let me guess, the Endbridge Pipeline was ordained from God eh Christy? Moron....or is it Mormon? Hard to tell which label of stupidity to categorize her in.

Meh, I'm an atheist, and it doesn't really bother me... everyone's entitled to their own beliefs. I vote for people based on their policies, not their personal lives and what they do on their own time. It's not like she's saying everyone should convert to Christianity or anything like that. She's not forcing them on others, she's appearing on a Christian program talking about her beliefs and I highly doubt anybody other than devout Christians listen to that sort of thing so who cares?

...except she's not using the Bible to create policy, nor does she have jurisdiction over controversial issues like abortion or same-sex marriage - those are all at the federal level.

She might be Anglican, but her cabinet isn't.

Guest BuckFoston

I don't see why people have to bring this up in interviews. You are religious? Good for you. I don't walk around the office telling people that the trade I made was because being Agnostic or Atheist or Catholic really helped me. Whether it did or not is not the point. Other's don't need to know because then you are imposing something, even if not intentionally.

Same argument as the gay pride thing. Good for you, but no one walks around shouting from the rooftops how gloriously straight they are so.... how about everyone just tones down their personal business. We are in an age of no filter.

I'm worried about anyone making policy based on their faith or any personal morals I find reprehensible.

However, the odds of that not happening.. nothing in the realm of realistic.

As long as she isn't overtly making policy decisions that infringe on others' freedoms to be free from religion I don't see a reason to make a big deal out of it.

Sounds like the status quo to me..

I would like to hear about what "tough" decisions she has had to make using this method. Sounds like a bunch of hooey to me. If she can't come to a decision using available information and sound reasoning then maybe she should let someone else do it. I'd prefer that she seek help from someone capable of the task rather than seeking help from an invisible sky man in her head.

Archived