The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christy Clark's Religion Comments Spark Criticism From B.C. Atheists

Sharpshooter

Sharp while I obviously will agree 100% with your post I feel I must say that the fear of speaking out when they see something is amiss due to religion is a major issue I have with a lot of atheists...We are really not that small of a minority when you think about it...and if every single one of us would raise our voices when there are issues such as this one, or any other kind of injustice due to religious pandering, we may actually be able to DO something about it instead of blogging about it on the internet or kicking back, reading God Is Not Great, among others, nodding our heads in agreement, but not having the balls to stand up and say "We're as mad as hell, and we're not going to take this anymore" weakens our position a great deal...If we want to actually cause a viable change in the apparent stranglehold the major religions have over a lot of world governments...we HAVE to start being more pro-active about it.

As a fellow atheist I have to disagree with you on this one. Where would us humanists be if Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens et al never spoke up? How else are we supposed to be pro active? The internet is the best way to spread the word of facts and to let it be known that it is ok to believe in mythical, superstitious non-sense but to simply keep it to yourself and keep it our of politics especially. Blogging, foruming, tweeting, etc IS being pro active IMO

Funny how that works, huh? Hey, when people in my area question me about being an atheist..I just tell them "You're almost an atheist yourself...difference between you and me is I believe in just one god fewer than you do." When politicians of any kind start referencing specific holy texts...they have to know that there will be a bit of a backlash, don't they? And as far as the athlete thing goes...it'd be refreshing indeed to hear one praise Allah or Thor or even Satan for allowing them to score a touchdown to win the game...be a lot better than turning on ESPN and listening to Tim Tebow's personal televangelism session.

I think you misread the post and its message, my friend...I was actually calling for MORE action than just blogging, for example, I would like to see every human being who shares our way of thinking have the balls to stand up against religious pandering and the negative effects it has on our society as a whole...Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris...are among my heroes...I would never tell anyone in our group not to speak out...read the post again.. :)

Hitchens once said "every religious person in the world is secretly an atheist because there is at least one God that they don't believe in." Hahaha. This is the funniest part of religion, out of thousands and thousands of Gods they all claim to know the one and only true God, some even claim to know the true multiple Gods lol. I saw a picture on twitter the other day that instead of reading "God hates f@&s" read "God hates facts" LMFAO

You dont get to decide what the rules are. You simply suffer the concequences when it all goes down.

But like every Satanis........I mean Atheist......... you hide behind nothing and point the finger at others. You cannot survive without putting others down.

Times ticking buddy................Tick tock, tick tock...........

You dont get to decide what the rules are. You simply suffer the concequences when it all goes down.

But like every Satanis........I mean Atheist......... you hide behind nothing and point the finger at others. You cannot survive without putting others down.

Here are my final thoughts on the original topic:

As people vote in a democracy, they choose the right candidate that represents them the most. To vote for someone or a political party, each voter should consider their political views, passions, and values. It's hard to digest, but voters expect their candidate to make decisions based on those things, no matter where those values come from. To discriminate the Bible as a poor source of values would also be like discriminating a certain candidate that comes from a certain school, culture, or upbringing.

Here are my final thoughts on the original topic:

As people vote in a democracy, they choose the right candidate that represents them the most. To vote for someone or a political party, each voter should consider their political views, passions, and values. It's hard to digest, but voters expect their candidate to make decisions based on those things, no matter where those values come from. To discriminate the Bible as a poor source of values would also be like discriminating a certain candidate that comes from a certain school, culture, or upbringing.

Archived