Sharpshooter

Atheist: "Keep religion away from politics, please"

Theist: "Sure, we won't force others into believing"

Atheist: "How about your values? Keep them out of politics please"

Theist: "So I can't believe in religion?"

Atheist: "Yes you can, you can believe in it, just don't believe in them"

Theist: "So, I don't have religious freedom?"

Atheist: "You do, you can do whatever you want!"

Theist: "And I choose to believe in right morals and right principles, found in MY belief!"

Atheist: "Sorry, that isn't keeping religion out of politics you see"

Theist: "Then what values and morals should I believe in?"

Atheist: "Believe in what Atheists believe in"

Theist: "And what exactly is that?What moral standard do all Atheists hold to?"

Atheist: "We just make sure we're happy"

Theist: "You're happy? So what makes you happy"

Atheist: "Things that benefit us, helps us, contributes to us, etc etc."

Theist: "So if something didn't make you happy, you wouldn't do it?"

Atheist: "Exactly!"

Theist: "So what makes you happy should apply for everyone?"

Atheist: "No.. of course not. Not everyone is like me."

Theist: "So we should make everyone happy to their own accord?"

Atheist: "Yes!"

Theist: "Is that the golden rule, to make sure you are happy?"

Atheist: "Yes!"

Theist: "What if one person's happiness is another person's sorrow?"

Atheist: "Then too bad"

Theist: "Then there's no consistency?"

Atheist: "Not really, we go with the flow"

Theist: "What if being happy requires the world to shift all its resources to you, making others poor and hungry? Is that okay?"

Atheist: (INSERT YOUR ANSWER HERE)

Not sure if you are just being facetious or actually didn't read or understand the dialogue between an atheist and a theist.

Tell me what you got. What did you understand, how does it not relate to the original post, and where is my logical fallacy?

Yeah and since Clark uses the Bible to help her make decisions I'm sure thats why we've seen so many pro-slave, pro-genocide, pro-homophobia, pro-sexism, pro-rape, pro-polygamy, pro-murder, pro-bigotry, and pro-child abuse laws since she came into power.

The Bible has a lot of good teachings in it despite all the things you listed. Things that very well could help an individual make the right decision, and would not have to have any extreme religious attachment like you seem to think it automatically does.

Did the Bible help our courts make 'good' decisions when it same sex marriage? Abortions? Come to think of it, the Bible wasn't used to make decisions on those issues......now why do you think that is, hmm?

When was the last time she had to make a decision on any of those subjects? They've all been decided secularly and legally before she ever arrived.

Did the Bible help our courts make 'good' decisions when it same sex marriage? Abortions? Come to think of it, the Bible wasn't used to make decisions on those issues......now why do you think that is, hmm?

The world is full of these things, and all kinds of objectionable behaviour and difficult circumstances. How would scripture offer wisdom if it failed to deal with and account for all the wickedness in the world? Not to mention the Bible was written more than two millenia ago, most of it, in a world very different from our own, but it's easy enough to take that into account and read it intelligently. There's no need to come to any piece of literature with such outsize hostility, reading anything is always an interaction between the reader and the text, if you come to the text with hate and disgust you're obviously gonna focus in on the worst stuff in the worst way. If you go to it looking for wisdom and guidance that is what you will find.

There are many atheistic belief structures. Marxism is probably the most well-known but there's also the secular humanist human-rights based one as well, and others. People say they are atheists but it is not possible to go through life with no set of beliefs at all, it's instinctive. If God is not your God, then humanity or the environment or yourself or the state or whatever else you base the system of thought which you use to interpret the world you experience will fill that void.

Do you know if it did? Did you know whether or not the Supreme Justices are educated with Christian beliefs or not? Have you the capability to unearth how exactly the Bible actually teaches and guides people? Does it have arms and legs that spring out and actually tell people what to do?

Have you any understanding that Canadian history and foundation, not to mention the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, were all written by religious founders? Rejecting the notion of religious belief, especially in Canada, is such an ignorant thing to do.

Archived