Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Christy Clark's Religion Comments Spark Criticism From B.C. Atheists

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
368 replies to this topic

#211 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,328 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

"Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law."

- Thomas Jefferson

"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated reformer of human errors."

- Thomas Jefferson

"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter"

- Thomas Jefferson

I often wonder if people actually realise the importance of the seperation of church and state , i believe it is a critical element in developing a truly democratic and "free" society .

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 05 August 2012 - 06:17 PM.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#212 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

Nah. This was long before I was born but the book doesnt end well for your kind.

Well, as I believe the entire book is fictional, naturally I'd also believe the last chapter, which is just as vague as the rest, is also fictional.
Posted Image

#213 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

I often wonder if people actually realise the importance of the seperation of church and state , i believe it is a critical element in developing a truly democratic and "free" society .

Bro, the separation of ALL major agendas and state are critical in developing a truly free society...not just the overt ones like religion. :)
Posted Image

#214 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

Well, as I believe the entire book is fictional, naturally I'd also believe the last chapter, which is just as vague as the rest, is also fictional.

It is between fifty and sixty years since I read it [the Apocalypse], and I then considered it merely the ravings of a maniac, no more worthy nor capable of explanation than the incoherences of our own nightly dreams.

-Thomas Jefferson

;)

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#215 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:39 PM

If your foundation is based on Christian principles, then it still contains traces of Christianity.

“The Declaration of Independence dogmatically bases all rights on the fact that God created all men equal; and it is right; for if they were not created equal, they were certainly evolved unequal. There is no basis for democracy except in a dogma about the divine origin of man.”

- G.K. Chesterton

What kind of utter nonsense is this...at the MOST, a few of the Founding Fathers may have been Deist...with some of them leaning towards atheism, and some not caring either way. I hate to burst your bubble, but my country was absolutely NOT founded on Draconic christian principles.
Posted Image

#216 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

It is between fifty and sixty years since I read it [the Apocalypse], and I then considered it merely the ravings of a maniac, no more worthy nor capable of explanation than the incoherences of our own nightly dreams.

-Thomas Jefferson

;)

LOL...also...in what universe does 20 years after the fact, (as in the case of the gospels) constitute any definition of the phrase "eyewitness accounts"? Eyewitness accounts are only good for at most six months to a year after something happens...it sure as hell does not stretch over 20 years.
Posted Image

#217 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

Most of my family was exterminated like vermin by Stalin's firing squad in 1937 because they belonged to an invisible minority. We can't even visit anyone because they were all thrown in mass graves and no one knows where they are. Oppression is nothing new here, but despite our tragic history I don't go around waving flags and being "overt" about my affiliations . Nor do I find it appropriate to use the oppression of my ancestors as a giant soap box for own agenda.

As for the gay pride thing, it's like a rags to riches story. You were in rags all your life and suddenly you win the lottery so you go on and buy the tackiest most expensive junk to show off how much money you have now. You just can't be modest about it. Nobody likes that kind of showing off. If you are able to come out now as never before, that is great, but it is still only one part of you and often many make it the only part about them. Basically you determine how much of a big deal it is to others by how much of a big deal it is to you. It's come to the point where quite a lot of it is imposing. Like meeting someone and they shake your hand and say "Hi, I am Christy and I am a lesbian." Uhm, okay. But I'm not sure how that is going to help me order lunch.

Wise words, and truly spoken .. +1

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#218 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

Good for Christy Clark. It's good to have something positive for one to reach out to when in times of trial. The origin for the name Christy, even means, "of Christ". She's living up to her name for what she personally believes in.

Atheists always have something to b!tch about. Many on this board are no different. Always a disgusting attitude towards all things religion. It's one thing not to agree with her beliefs, it's another thing to attack, criticize & mock them when they clearly are in no position to do so.

The ironic thing is, she by no means is the first Premier to use religion. Bill Vander Zalm's "Biblical Garden" he had built comes to mind. Canada & The US as a whole, were built on religious beliefs and still obviously incorporate them today. After the Colorado shootings, The president read from the Bible on television, calling a time for prayer & reflection. Nobody dared to publicly criticise that. Many interviewed cite their faith in God in help them through things, for guidance & direction, because sometimes that's all one has.

So many people blame and bash religion constantly for what is wrong with the world, when it's just as much of the loud-mouth finger-pointing, negative attitude about it that adds fuel to the fire. If all the outspoken atheists can do is put-down and talk garbage about these things and the people that believe it, how on earth is that helping any? It's not, it's just giving other people headaches.

I hate to disappoint the atheists that actually care about something so trivial and petty such as this, but this is nothing new, and religion will never go away. As long as the world turns, it will be there, and people in major influential power will use it.

Well, it will be there as long as it is a tax deduction and tax free .. then we shall see ..

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#219 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

Atheist: "Keep religion away from politics, please"
Theist: "Sure, we won't force others into believing"
Atheist: "How about your values? Keep them out of politics please"
Theist: "So I can't believe in religion?"
Atheist: "Yes you can, you can believe in it, just don't believe in them"
Theist: "So, I don't have religious freedom?"
Atheist: "You do, you can do whatever you want!"
Theist: "And I choose to believe in right morals and right principles, found in MY belief!"
Atheist: "Sorry, that isn't keeping religion out of politics you see"
Theist: "Then what values and morals should I believe in?"
Atheist: "Believe in what Atheists believe in"
Theist: "And what exactly is that? What moral standard do all Atheists hold to?"
Atheist: "We just make sure we're happy"
Theist: "You're happy? So what makes you happy"
Atheist: "Things that benefit us, helps us, contributes to us, etc etc."
Theist: "So if something didn't make you happy, you wouldn't do it?"
Atheist: "Exactly!"
Theist: "So what makes you happy should apply for everyone?"
Atheist: "No.. of course not. Not everyone is like me."
Theist: "So we should make everyone happy to their own accord?"
Atheist: "Yes!"
Theist: "Is that the golden rule, to make sure you are happy?"
Atheist: "Yes!"
Theist: "What if one person's happiness is another person's sorrow?"
Atheist: "Then too bad"
Theist: "Then there's no consistency?"
Atheist: "Not really, we go with the flow"
Theist: "What if being happy requires the world to shift all its resources to you, making others poor and hungry? Is that okay?"
Atheist: "A crucifix was good enough for Jesus, so they say" .. TL

#220 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

Show me the laws then. She's been an MLA for over 9 years and premier for 15 months. Certainly, there has to be something.

I would look for the one's that make the least sense .. since she is looking to God to tell her the future .. i.e long term thinking ..

#221 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

Sharp while I obviously will agree 100% with your post I feel I must say that the fear of speaking out when they see something is amiss due to religion is a major issue I have with a lot of atheists...We are really not that small of a minority when you think about it...and if every single one of us would raise our voices when there are issues such as this one, or any other kind of injustice due to religious pandering, we may actually be able to DO something about it instead of blogging about it on the internet or kicking back, reading God Is Not Great, among others, nodding our heads in agreement, but not having the balls to stand up and say "We're as mad as hell, and we're not going to take this anymore" weakens our position a great deal...If we want to actually cause a viable change in the apparent stranglehold the major religions have over a lot of world governments...we HAVE to start being more pro-active about it.

As a fellow atheist I have to disagree with you on this one. Where would us humanists be if Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens et al never spoke up? How else are we supposed to be pro active? The internet is the best way to spread the word of facts and to let it be known that it is ok to believe in mythical, superstitious non-sense but to simply keep it to yourself and keep it our of politics especially. Blogging, foruming, tweeting, etc IS being pro active IMO

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#222 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

As a fellow atheist I have to disagree with you on this one. Where would us humanists be if Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens et al never spoke up? How else are we supposed to be pro active? The internet is the best way to spread the word of facts and to let it be known that it is ok to believe in mythical, superstitious non-sense but to simply keep it to yourself and keep it our of politics especially. Blogging, foruming, tweeting, etc IS being pro active IMO

I think you misread the post and its message, my friend...I was actually calling for MORE action than just blogging, for example, I would like to see every human being who shares our way of thinking have the balls to stand up against religious pandering and the negative effects it has on our society as a whole...Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris...are among my heroes...I would never tell anyone in our group not to speak out...read the post again.. :) I said the fear of speaking out is a problem I have with a lot of atheists...they don't believe, but they don't have the courage to speak out in opposition of religion like they should be doing.

Edited by Slaytanic Wehrmacht, 05 August 2012 - 08:57 PM.

Posted Image

#223 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

Funny how that works, huh? Hey, when people in my area question me about being an atheist..I just tell them "You're almost an atheist yourself...difference between you and me is I believe in just one god fewer than you do." When politicians of any kind start referencing specific holy texts...they have to know that there will be a bit of a backlash, don't they? And as far as the athlete thing goes...it'd be refreshing indeed to hear one praise Allah or Thor or even Satan for allowing them to score a touchdown to win the game...be a lot better than turning on ESPN and listening to Tim Tebow's personal televangelism session.

Hitchens once said "every religious person in the world is secretly an atheist because there is at least one God that they don't believe in." Hahaha. This is the funniest part of religion, out of thousands and thousands of Gods they all claim to know the one and only true God, some even claim to know the true multiple Gods lol. I saw a picture on twitter the other day that instead of reading "God hates f@&s" read "God hates facts" LMFAO

#224 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

I think you misread the post and its message, my friend...I was actually calling for MORE action than just blogging, for example, I would like to see every human being who shares our way of thinking have the balls to stand up against religious pandering and the negative effects it has on our society as a whole...Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris...are among my heroes...I would never tell anyone in our group not to speak out...read the post again.. :)

My apologies, I thought you were saying that blogging etc is useless

edit: it's getting late here in Montreal;)

Edited by Jester13, 05 August 2012 - 08:57 PM.

#225 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

Hitchens once said "every religious person in the world is secretly an atheist because there is at least one God that they don't believe in." Hahaha. This is the funniest part of religion, out of thousands and thousands of Gods they all claim to know the one and only true God, some even claim to know the true multiple Gods lol. I saw a picture on twitter the other day that instead of reading "God hates f@&s" read "God hates facts" LMFAO

One of my favorite bumper stickers reads "Calling something "The Truth" doesn't make it true". When you're dealing with a speculatory subject such as religion, it might be best to avoid using phrases like "the one TRUE" anything...until you've got the ****ing evidence to back it up. ;)
Posted Image

#226 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,721 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:09 AM

Which kind is that? :blink:

Any kind that doesn't agree with him.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#227 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:17 AM

Any kind that doesn't agree with him.

Correction EOTM...any kind that doesn't believe in his intrusive imaginary friend. ;)
Posted Image

#228 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:22 AM

Atheist or not. She shouldn't be making public decisions based on the bible, period.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#229 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

Christian principles? How's that women's equality working out for the Christians? Oh right, it's not and now they can vote...

You dont get to decide what the rules are. You simply suffer the concequences when it all goes down.

But like every Satanis........I mean Atheist......... you hide behind nothing and point the finger at others. You cannot survive without putting others down.

Times ticking buddy................Tick tock, tick tock...........
Posted Image

#230 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

Atheist or not. She shouldn't be making public decisions based on the bible, period.

Exactly, George W Bush proclaimed to make his decisions on behalf of a higher power and look what that led to.

#231 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

You dont get to decide what the rules are. You simply suffer the concequences when it all goes down.

But like every Satanis........I mean Atheist......... you hide behind nothing and point the finger at others. You cannot survive without putting others down.

Really? I mean, REALLY?

#232 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

Oh Satan show this misguided soul that you are the one true king of human kind. You are our shepherd. Do not allow us to falter in the face of false gods, do not let us succumb to false Christianity. Satan I call on thee to show Drybone his misguided ways. Let your demons take him and show him the truth, the light. Deliver us from your enemies and let us deliver your enemies to you.

Drybone follows a false prophet. The Antichrist is coming and every false prophet will perish in his wake. Prepare yourself Drybone, for Satan is sending his minions for you. You shall not rise. Satan will be king!

My sweet Satan, I am your humble servant on earth and in Hell.

Posted Image

Hail Satan!

Edited by Satan's Evil Twin, 06 August 2012 - 09:55 AM.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#233 gurn

gurn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

Without Satan to scare people, churches of Christ would be mostly empty.
good cop,bad cop.

#234 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

Why do you act so childish? Every post you make is an attempt at trolling, give it a rest.

#235 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

Typical horse **** out of the "god squad"...crawl back under your bridge.
Posted Image

#236 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,217 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

I don't think you could make any less sense.

Jagermeister.jpg

#237 dajusta

dajusta

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

Here are my final thoughts on the original topic:

As people vote in a democracy, they choose the right candidate that represents them the most. To vote for someone or a political party, each voter should consider their political views, passions, and values. It's hard to digest, but voters expect their candidate to make decisions based on those things, no matter where those values come from. To discriminate the Bible as a poor source of values would also be like discriminating a certain candidate that comes from a certain school, culture, or upbringing.
I'm Christian
I won't judge you
No one is perfect
Only through Jesus
Will we find Truth

#238 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

Without Satan to scare people, churches of Christ would be mostly empty.
good cop,bad cop.

This is without doubt the truest statement I have ever read on this subject....Religions like Christianity bait the hook for their gullible potential followers with the promise of eternal life, which is ludicrous on the face of it because they are but mere human beings themselves and cannot logically make such a promise...and they keep them there with threats about how if you don't live your life by what is written in their book you are destined for eternal damnation. The fear of Satan, not the "teachings" of the charlatan Jesus, is what has kept the church in business all these years.
Posted Image

#239 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

Here are my final thoughts on the original topic:

As people vote in a democracy, they choose the right candidate that represents them the most. To vote for someone or a political party, each voter should consider their political views, passions, and values. It's hard to digest, but voters expect their candidate to make decisions based on those things, no matter where those values come from. To discriminate the Bible as a poor source of values would also be like discriminating a certain candidate that comes from a certain school, culture, or upbringing.

Disagree entirely. Discriminating based on school is one thing, discriminating based on belief of an unprovable philosophical theory is entirely another.
Posted Image

#240 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

Now we just need a Satanist in power. Then we'll see just how "accepting" all the Christians who've been voting in their brethren are.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.