368 replies to this topic

#241 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

Without Satan to scare people, churches of Christ would be mostly empty.
good cop,bad cop.

A good story needs a bad guy to rally against, and a hero to rally around.

That and all the other mumbo jumbo in the Bible tells you, that it's simply a book of fictional stories.

Good things in the world = God/Good
Bad things in the world = Satan/Evil

Every man-made mythology has a Superman/Lex Luthor character.....Christianity is no different in its characters and or its makers.

Morality + Ethics versus Immorality + Unethical Behaviour is present and within the inherent capability of everyone.....and religions have simply put those lessons into story form that were easy to tell and spread and use to control the behaviour of society and individuals within it.

We've moved beyond those antiquated simplistic stories into more complex moral and immoral territory with a set of laws and ethical standards in order to shape/reward/punish certain social and individualistic behaviours.

Religions didn't invent morality or ethics, and they don't have the last best word on it.....they were part of the evolution of them, while neither being the starting point, nor the final destination.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#242 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:17 AM

That and all the other mumbo jumbo in the Bible tells you, that it's simply a book of fictional stories.

Every man-made mythology has a Superman/Lex Luthor character.....Christianity is no different in its characters and or its makers.

Morality + Ethics versus Immorality + Unethical Behaviour is present and within the inherent capability of everyone.....and religions have simply put those lessons into story form that were easy to tell and spread and use to control the behaviour of society and individuals within it.

We've moved beyond those antiquated simplistic stories into more complex moral and immoral territory with a set of laws and ethical standards in order to shape/reward/punish certain social and individualistic behaviours.

Religions didn't invent morality or ethics, and they don't have the last best word on it.....they were part of the evolution of them, while neither being the starting point, nor the final destination.

But the difference is, Sharpie, that the same people who believe the biblical horse manure is true have no problems conceding that "Superman and Lex Luthor" are fictional...in my opinion, since we're talking about a book that has similar "supernatural" characters, (Samson, Jesus, etc) What's the ****ing difference? Just a thought..There is a church here that has come up with a series of Biblical Graphic Novels to try and snooker some of the younger, more impressionable teenagers...will these insidious human beings stop at nothing to systematically brainwash the weak-minded and naive?

Edited by Slaytanic Wehrmacht, 06 August 2012 - 11:24 AM.

Posted Image

#243 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

Isn't Satan (how many people did I offend capitalizing the S) like the boogeyman? You tell your kids stop being idiots or the boogeyman will get them. No child has ever seen the boogeyman but they straighten their crap out!
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#244 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

Isn't Satan (how many people did I offend capitalizing the S) like the boogeyman? You tell your kids stop being idiots or the boogeyman will get them. No child has ever seen the boogeyman but they straighten their crap out!

For 'adults'. ;)

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#245 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

Scare tactics are scare tactics are scare tactics I guess...;)
Posted Image

#246 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

You take that back. <_<

Jesus is the boogeyman. Satan is my light.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#247 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

Here are my final thoughts on the original topic:

As people vote in a democracy, they choose the right candidate that represents them the most. To vote for someone or a political party, each voter should consider their political views, passions, and values. It's hard to digest, but voters expect their candidate to make decisions based on those things, no matter where those values come from. To discriminate the Bible as a poor source of values would also be like discriminating a certain candidate that comes from a certain school, culture, or upbringing.

I think the only discriminating going on comes from those who assume the Bible is a more worthy text then its Abrahamic (or otherwise) counterparts.

What if Clark claimed she was consulting the Koran or Torah rather then the Bible? Would that sit well with you?

In this corner of the world where we have freedom of religion, they are all equal in validity. I find it to be a sleazy way to win votes and gain influence.

#248 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:00 PM

I think the only discriminating going on comes from those who assume the Bible is a more worthy text then its Abrahamic (or otherwise) counterparts.

What if Clark claimed she was consulting the Koran or Torah rather then the Bible? Would that sit well with you?

In this corner of the world where we have freedom of religion, they are all equal in validity. I find it to be a sleazy way to win votes and gain influence.

Someone discriminating for having a belief? That's amazing, so everyone in this thread, including you and I, are discriminating, with this new found and broadly adapted definition of discrimination.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#249 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

I've never once said I wasn't discriminating..in fact I admit I'm discriminating..I discriminate against anyone foolish enough to swallow this tripe and keep a straight face.
Posted Image

#250 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

I've never once said I wasn't discriminating..in fact I admit I'm discriminating..I discriminate against anyone foolish enough to swallow this tripe and keep a straight face.

What tripe are they swallowing? Anyone with a half ounce of wisdom knows it's a PR move. Anyone with a full ounce of wisdom knows it's silly to even give their subjective beliefs they espouse any attention unless they actually use it to impose their religion upon others -- until that point, it being a complete waste of attention and unnecessary drama.

Edited by zaibatsu, 06 August 2012 - 12:22 PM.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#251 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

What tripe are they swallowing? Anyone with a half ounce of wisdom knows it's a PR move. Anyone with a full ounce of wisdom knows it's silly to even give their subjective beliefs they espouse any attention unless they actually use it to impose their religion upon others -- until that point, it being a complete waste of attention and unnecessary drama.

The "tripe" I'm referring to is the book itself...The Greatest BS Story Ever Told. As I have said many times, religious beliefs have no place in government...and if this was a PR ploy, it's a pretty disgusting and sleazy one.

Edited by Slaytanic Wehrmacht, 06 August 2012 - 12:25 PM.

Posted Image

#252 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,675 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:33 PM

But the difference is, Sharpie, that the same people who believe the biblical horse manure is true have no problems conceding that "Superman and Lex Luthor" are fictional...in my opinion, since we're talking about a book that has similar "supernatural" characters, (Samson, Jesus, etc) What's the ****ing difference? Just a thought..There is a church here that has come up with a series of Biblical Graphic Novels to try and snooker some of the younger, more impressionable teenagers...will these insidious human beings stop at nothing to systematically brainwash the weak-minded and naive?

Scare tactics are scare tactics are scare tactics I guess... ;)

You take that back. <_<

Jesus is the boogeyman. Satan is my light.

How about that Christy Clark, eh?

#253 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

Who?

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

#254 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,675 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

Who?

Exactly.

#255 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

Exactly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#256 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:41 PM

Someone discriminating for having a belief? That's amazing, so everyone in this thread, including you and I, are discriminating, with this new found and broadly adapted definition of discrimination.

Dont you know what I mean?

I meant discrimination in a sense where one religion gets priority; this shouldnt happen in a free society.

Although now that I think about it, its not all that much of a stretch to claim intolerance is an inherent feature of religions with jealous and/or intolerant gods.

#257 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,675 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:43 PM

Posted Image

:rolleyes:

#258 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

:rolleyes:

If only you spent as much time posting on topic as you do chastising others for taking them off topic.

Go away, you're not contributing. :lol:

Posted Image

#259 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

Dont you know what I mean?

I meant discrimination in a sense where one religion gets priority; this shouldnt happen in a free society.

Although now that I think about it, its not all that much of a stretch to claim intolerance is an inherent feature of religions with jealous and/or intolerant gods.

But where is priority given to a religion in policy implemented?

I'm fairly sure what most are asking for here isn't that hard to find to justify this nonsense, and I bet you'd find people more agreeable if these assertions would come with something objectively substantiated rather than unfounded paranoia that has no tangible substance to back up these concerns. As it stands now, the thread is just religion bashing and making a big deal over subjective ideals which I suppose is okay on it's own but out in left field. It can be frustrating because people that are supposed to be smarter are making the dumb choice to play the US Karl Rovian polarized character assassination game which is going to have a wonderful effect once it comes full circle.

It's really sad when I have to defend a religious politician..

Edited by zaibatsu, 06 August 2012 - 01:51 PM.

-- Jeff Ross

#260 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,675 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

If only you spent as much time posting on topic as you do chastising others for taking them off topic.

Go away, you're not contributing. :lol:

And if only you spent as much time posting on-topic instead of taking threads off topic.

#261 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

shut up fools and watch some soccer
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#262 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

And if only you spent as much time posting on-topic instead of taking threads off topic.

You're still doing it... :bigblush:

Posted Image

#263 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

How about that Christy Clark, eh?

How about that passive-aggressiveness eh?

#264 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

See: Irony

#265 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

Exactly.

For someone who has the username Common sense, you're sure sorely lacking in it.
Posted Image

#266 canuck2xtreme

canuck2xtreme

Canucks All-Star

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:46 PM

Let's try to keep this on topic and respectable, lest it be closed. This is not the place to rehash the God thread.

CDCGML Commissioner/Winnipeg Jets <---Click For Roster!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Support Canuck Place Childrens Hospice - http://www.canuckplace.org/

This is what hockey should be. A lot of chances, a lot of hitting, no cheap shots, no chirping after whistles."

#267 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

Let's try to keep this on topic and respectable, lest it be closed. This is not the place to rehash the God thread.

To be perfectly frank, since this topic entails both Christy Clark and her using the bible to make tough decisions, AND the BC Atheists who took a stand against it, all of this discussion IS on topic...just because we're not discussing point 1a of the topic post...it doesn't mean it isn't relevant to topic point 1b. If everyone else in this world who shared the atheist viewpoint would have the courage to speak out against religious lobbying in politics, there wouldn't be anywhere near as much corruption, and I am continuing the rallying cry to get more of them to be more proactive, with all due respect.

Edited by Slaytanic Wehrmacht, 06 August 2012 - 03:51 PM.

Posted Image

#268 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,953 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

Evolution See also: Evolution of morality, Altruism, Evolutionary ethics
The development of modern morality is a process closely tied to the Sociocultural evolution of different peoples of humanity. Some evolutionary biologists, particularly sociobiologists, believe that morality is a product of evolutionary forces acting at an individual level and also at the group level through group selection (though to what degree this actually occurs is a controversial topic in evolutionary theory). Some sociobiologists contend that the set of behaviors that constitute morality evolved largely because they provided possible survival and/or reproductive benefits (i.e. increased evolutionary success). Humans consequently evolved "pro-social" emotions, such as feelings of empathy or guilt, in response to these moral behaviors.
On this understanding, morality is not absolute, but relative, and constitutes any set of behaviors that encourage human cooperation based on their ideology to get ideologic unity. Biologists contend that all social animals, from ants to elephants, have modified their behaviors, by restraining immediate selfishness in order to improve their evolutionary fitness. Human morality, though sophisticated and complex relative to other animals, is essentially a natural phenomenon that evolved to restrict excessive individualism that could undermine a group's cohesion and thereby reducing the individuals' fitness.[13] On this view, moral codes are ultimately founded on emotional instincts and intuitions that were selected for in the past because they aided survival and reproduction (inclusive fitness). Examples: the maternal bond is selected for because it improves the survival of offspring; the Westermarck effect, where close proximity during early years reduces mutual sexual attraction, underpins taboos against incest because it decreases the likelihood of genetically risky behaviour such as inbreeding.
The phenomenon of 'reciprocity' in nature is seen by evolutionary biologists as one way to begin to understand human morality. Its function is typically to ensure a reliable supply of essential resources, especially for animals living in a habitat where food quantity or quality fluctuates unpredictably. For example, some vampire bats fail to feed on prey some nights while others manage to consume a surplus. Bats that did eat will then regurgitate part of their blood meal to save a conspecific from starvation. Since these animals live in close-knit groups over many years, an individual can count on other group members to return the favor on nights when it goes hungry (Wilkinson, 1984) Marc Bekoff and Jessica Pierce (2009) have argued that morality is a suite of behavioral capacities likely shared by all mammals living in complex social groups (e.g., wolves, coyotes, elephants, dolphins, rats, chimpanzees). They define morality as "a suite of interrelated other-regarding behaviors that cultivate and regulate complex interactions within social groups." This suite of behaviors includes empathy, reciprocity, altruism, cooperation, and a sense of fairness.[14] In related work, it has been convincingly demonstrated that chimpanzees show empathy for each other in a wide variety of contexts.[15] They also possess the ability to engage in deception, and a level of social 'politics'[16] prototypical of our own tendencies for gossip and reputation management.
Christopher Boehm (1982) has hypothesized that the incremental development of moral complexity throughout hominid evolution was due to the increasing need to avoid disputes and injuries in moving to open savanna and developing stone weapons. Other theories are that increasing complexity was simply a correlate of increasing group size and brain size, and in particular the development of theory of mind abilities. Richard Dawkins in The God Delusion suggested that our morality is a result of our biological evolutionary history and that the Moral Zeitgeist helps describe how morality evolves from biological and cultural origins and evolves with time within a culture.
[edit] Neuroscience

[edit] Mirror-neurons

Main article: mirror neurons
Mirror neurons are neurons in the brain that fire when another person is observed doing a certain action. The neurons fire in imitation of the action being observed, causing the same muscles to act minutely in the observer as are acting grossly in the person actually performing the action. Research on mirror neurons, since their discovery in 1996,[17] suggests that they may have a role to play not only in action understanding, but also in emotion sharing empathy. Cognitive neuro-scientist Jean Decety thinks that the ability to recognize and vicariously experience what another individual is undergoing was a key step forward in the evolution of social behavior, and ultimately, morality.[18] The inability to feel empathy is one of the defining characteristics of psychopathy, and this would appear to lend support to Decety's view.[19][20]
[edit] Neuroimaging and stimulation

The explicit making of moral right and wrong judgments coincides with activation in the ventromedial prefrontal cortex (VMPC) while intuitive reactions to situations containing implicit moral issues activates the temporoparietal junction area.[21] Stimulation of the VMPC by transcranial magnetic stimulation has been shown to inhibit the ability of human subjects to take into account intent when forming a moral judgment.[22] Similarly VMPC-impaired persons will judge an action purely on its outcome and are unable to take into account the intent of that action.[23]
Neuroscience has also looked at the phenomenon of so-called moral luck:

A father who leaves his child by the bath, after telling his child to stay put and believing that he will stay put, is judged to be morally blameworthy if the child drowns (an unlucky outcome), but not if his child stays put and doesn't drown. . . . Yet these judgments may also seem paradoxical. After all, . . . everything from the agent's perspective was exactly the same, including what the agent thought would happen, and what the agent himself did. In general, we expect that morality should not depend on luck.[24]

The brain areas that are consistently involved when humans reason about moral issues have been investigated by a quantitative large-scale meta-analysis of the brain activity changes reported in the moral neuroscience literature.[25] In fact, the neural network underlying moral decisions overlapped with the network pertaining to representing others' intentions (i.e., theory of mind) and the network pertaining to representing others' (vicariously experienced) emotional states (i.e., empathy). This supports the notion that moral reasoning is related to both seeing things from other persons’ points of view and to grasping others’ feelings These results provide evidenced that the neural network underlying moral decisions is probably domain-global (i.e., there might be no such things as a "moral module" in the human brain) and might be dissociable into cognitive and affective sub-systems

Wikipedia

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#269 canuck2xtreme

canuck2xtreme

Canucks All-Star

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

To be perfectly frank, since this topic entails both Christy Clark and her using the bible to make tough decisions, AND the BC Atheists who took a stand against it, all of this discussion IS on topic...just because we're not discussing point 1a of the topic post...it doesn't mean it isn't relevant to topic point 1b. If everyone else in this world who shared the atheist viewpoint would have the courage to speak out against religious lobbying in politics, there wouldn't be anywhere near as much corruption, and I am continuing the rallying cry to get more of them to be more proactive, with all due respect.

To be perfectly frank, you're wrong. Anything that has any religious connection can be used as jumping point to just about any other tangent and still be construed as connected to the base topic. I've seen posts in this thread that amount to mocking other posters for believing in God, which is neither on topic or in accordance with board rules. If it continues, the thread will be closed.

CDCGML Commissioner/Winnipeg Jets <---Click For Roster!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Support Canuck Place Childrens Hospice - http://www.canuckplace.org/

This is what hockey should be. A lot of chances, a lot of hitting, no cheap shots, no chirping after whistles."

#270 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

To be perfectly frank, you're wrong. Anything that has any religious connection can be used as jumping point to just about any other tangent and still be construed as connected to the base topic. I've seen posts in this thread that amount to mocking other posters for believing in God, which is neither on topic or in accordance with board rules. If it continues, the thread will be closed.

You say that about this thread and then allow such lunacy as the Illuminati Thread and the "94% of all Terrorists are Muslim" thread, complete with Anti-Zionist propaganda, to roll on unabated? Really? How much sense does that make?

Edited by Slaytanic Wehrmacht, 06 August 2012 - 04:13 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.