The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christy Clark's Religion Comments Spark Criticism From B.C. Atheists

Sharpshooter

What I'm getting at is everyone has their own subjective credo they are led by. Some of the most intelligent secularists were also led by subjective religious moral characteristics that would be part of their policy as well, some of the most moronic people I've seen were also led by non-religious moral characteristics. Elected representatives are always primarily going to go with their instincts, which I may disagree with but if I were to personally dictate policy makers based on my subjective beliefs I'd be the only one I could vote for, which doesn't sound particularly bright. One has to accept the fact that even smart people will believe in stupid things, but as long as the respect for freedoms, culture, and fiscal soundness are present, I don't care what they subjectively believe in.

Also, to add, subjective things like this are marketed because politicians tend to use them as a distraction to get people arguing over this rather than the actual, objective policies that are implemented with far less attention given. This distraction technique is used all too commonly in the states, I like to avoid it with Canadian politics.

:picard: Numerous historians will attest to the fact that without Christianity the West would be a much different place - for the worse.

As for Clark's comments - I take it as a desperate attempt to reach out to conservative-minded voters in order to draw support away from John Cummins. She herself is a social liberal and I've never really heard her comment on religion until now, with Liberal support plummeting.

I would identify myself as atheist. Despite this I can’t really fault Christy Clark for looking to the bible for inspiration more so than any other political leader. Up until this point every Premier of BC, every Prime Minister of Canada and every President of the United States has been publicly affiliated with their religious denomination. Why is this special in Christy Clark’s case and not the others? The fact is religion still plays a significant part in the majority of people’s lives and belittling and ridiculing their beliefs won’t lead to any positive change.

Atheists also look to the work of literature to inspire and shape their attitudes. Are we to believe that those texts are without criticism and are completely valid? I’m happy to live in Canada where we are very tolerant of people’s belief regardless and lived in a secular society. By and large I think Christy Clark and other Canadian politicians have done a commendable job in separate their personal beliefs from their political decisions when they represent the public.

If this interview by Christy Clark affects how you feel about her how do you feel about the leaders of the other major political parties in BC? They are both openly religious.

I would identify myself as atheist. Despite this I can’t really fault Christy Clark for looking to the bible for inspiration more so than any other political leader. Up until this point every Premier of BC, every Prime Minister of Canada and every President of the United States has been publicly affiliated with their religious denomination. Why is this special in Christy Clark’s case and not the others? The fact is religion still plays a significant part in the majority of people’s lives and belittling and ridiculing their beliefs won’t lead to any positive change.

Atheists also look to the work of literature to inspire and shape their attitudes. Are we to believe that those texts are without criticism and are completely valid? I’m happy to live in Canada where we are very tolerant of people’s belief regardless and lived in a secular society. By and large I think Christy Clark and other Canadian politicians have done a commendable job in separate their personal beliefs from their political decisions when they represent the public.

If this interview by Christy Clark affects how you feel about her how do you feel about the leaders of the other major political parties in BC? They are both openly religious.

Invoking the Bible for votes??

:picard:

Give your soul to God Christy, because your $3,267-Oyster-eating-on-the-public-dime's ass belongs to the BC voters shortly.

Let me guess, the Endbridge Pipeline was ordained from God eh Christy? Moron....or is it Mormon? Hard to tell which label of stupidity to categorize her in.

I don't see why people have to bring this up in interviews. You are religious? Good for you. I don't walk around the office telling people that the trade I made was because being Agnostic or Atheist or Catholic really helped me. Whether it did or not is not the point. Other's don't need to know because then you are imposing something, even if not intentionally.

Same argument as the gay pride thing. Good for you, but no one walks around shouting from the rooftops how gloriously straight they are so.... how about everyone just tones down their personal business. We are in an age of no filter.

I don't see why people have to bring this up in interviews. You are religious? Good for you. I don't walk around the office telling people that the trade I made was because being Agnostic or Atheist or Catholic really helped me. Whether it did or not is not the point. Other's don't need to know because then you are imposing something, even if not intentionally.

I'm not religious? Maybe the difference between you and I, is I'm not a sensitive ignorant person who doesn't respect people's beliefs. But too say her policies are all based on religion or will be, is a stupid statement.

Either way you're probably a hypocrite, someone who you have voted for previously has most likely been religious as well. Who knows, maybe you'll be voting NDP and I respect that but maybe Adrian Dix is a christian too, I know his wife is a pretty big christian.

Archived