The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MG's Strategy?

Ricciuti1

With training camp coming up, I recently heard on OTR people's opinions on the Luongo matter and why MG is taking so long.

Although the Canucks do not seem they have pressure to unload Luongo anytime soon, it is clear that they need to...and it needs to be done before training camp to avoid any distraction.

At the same time though, with the teams that are in the hunt for Luongo (T.O, FLA) not improving their aspect in goal, it is obvious something is in the work. In the end, with MG holding off a bit longer, it is the teams that NEED a goalie that will be much more desperate then the team that will not need Luongo's services come training camp and beyond.

However, the only problem I see with this now is that it holds the Canucks back from signing Doan or Arnott. I can't see this going any longer then mid-August. Does anyone know an exact date for training camp?

Like you said, OP, with the teams that are in the hunt for Luongo (T.O, FLA) not improving their aspect in goal, it is obvious something is in the work. In the end, with MG holding off a bit longer, it is the teams that NEED a goalie that will be much more desperate then the team that will not need Luongo's services come training camp and beyond.

Milk them for what he can, then sign Doan or if not then sign Arnott or both.

:bored:

7431378842_3d363c5bca.jpg

I disagree with most of you, i dont think hes waiting for Doan or Arnott and at this point training camp is not a factor. I think what he is waiting for is the collective bargaining agreement, maybe he has until december or even next year. IMO its better for canucks if season starts in december because then teams wont be able to have a feeling out period with their Reimers or Theodores and will be more pressured to solidify before the season starts.

Luongo sitting as a bench warmer/door opener for his former team mates is a total negative cancer.

If Gillis does not deal Luo by the time the season starts he is more of a dilly than I thought.

You don't have a long goodbye / sorrow affair each and every night you play.

Gillis forced him out and now he has to deal him or deal with the consequences.

If I were Luo I would not show up for one more game in Vancouver,except to beat their overpaid rear ends.

With Kesler out until mid December, do we not get cap relief from that and hence do not have any pressing need cap wise?

If Doan signs, Raymond will probably be part of a package with Luongo when it is done. Personally, I don't think that it would be that bad having Luongo back up Schneider or even splitting the games 60/40 until the trade is worked out with good players coming our way....it would certainly serve notice that MG is not interested in trading a top goalie and treating it as a salary dump. This seems to be the sentiment out there that Vancouver 'has' to treat the trade like a salary dump....kick you when they think you are down.

Who knows, maybe Luongo will take #1 back and it will be Schneider that is traded.

I don't see Ballard being traded unless a dman is coming back this way. The only way I would trade him is if a comparable player was available for less money.

Yeah,you can let him wait and fester and burn.

Don't think it won't come to bite back - and every GM will be interested to see if Gillis is going to destroy the room and his credibility in not treating his players appropriately.

Sure,slash and burn with the hopes of a cup in 1-2 years.

As many have said here, MG has to move Luongo before training camp. On the other hand, FL or TO can easily start the season with their current goaltending (TO was in a playoff position until february last year)- so who has more pressure?

The longer this plays out, the more amusing it seems to become. I kind of like how we haven't moved Luongo. Quite frankly, I think Luongo's interview where he spoke so candidly about trying to move on was a bunch of BS that did nothing except put further pressure on MG.

Who cares if Luongo doesn't get traded until Christmas? I mean really. We have two amazing goalies, and an elite team. If we trade Luongo mid-season, that just means we free up cap space towards the end of the regular season to trade with non-playoff teams.

I've lost a lot of respect for Luongo after his curiously timed interview. He kept saying he wants to do what's best for the team and organization, but that interview could have crippled MG's negotiating power. I wouldn't mind seeing Lu warm the bench to start the season.

The bottom line is that MG still holds the cards. It's the Toronto-based media more than anyone who are really trying to push for a Luongo trade, but right now we're not over cap, we have a good team, there is no reason to make any undesirable trades. Luongo knew this, which is why he tried pushing the envelope.

Lou not showing up is even better for us. Everybody already knows we have to trade him, and his cap is on the books.

But if he does not show, we can suspend him and Aquilini's pocket gets a $6.7 mill break. And it adds pressure to Lou, who starts adding teams to his list when his bankbook takes a hit.

Sit and rot all you want Lou!

:bigblush:

Luongo sitting as a bench warmer/door opener for his former team mates is a total negative cancer.

If Gillis does not deal Luo by the time the season starts he is more of a dilly than I thought.

You don't have a long goodbye / sorrow affair each and every night you play.

Gillis forced him out and now he has to deal him or deal with the consequences.

If I were Luo I would not show up for one more game in Vancouver,except to beat their overpaid rear ends.

Archived