65 replies to this topic

#31 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:27 AM

You really care about if we win a medal in a 400m medley relay or whatever swimming competition? You'd lose sleep over it if we didn't win a medal?

I root for anyone wearing the red and white. Not being disrespectful, but were you not here in 2010?! Did it not teach you a proper sense of nationality?

Before Alexandre Bilodeau, Granville was busy, after he won, and everyone else won a gold that street flooded with proud Canadians. The 100k who appeared on the streets every night cared. The enormous ratings EVERY Olympics get in Canada seem to point to Canada caring

Edited by Kamero89, 04 August 2012 - 01:32 AM.

#32 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:36 AM

To put in perspective why exactly funds are needed. Picture the Canucks having to practice with road hockey sticks, instead of having a team of coaches they just get one, and they can only practice 3 days a week at very selective hours because they can't afford to own their own rink. And to weight train, they also have to use a public gym, which does not have the weights needed for them to get stronger.

Understand why money is needed now. The best equipment, coaches, and facilities in the world can get 2 seconds off your time, which can mean a difference between Gold, and Silver. It is not a coincidence the teams that spend the most, win the most. Phelps would not have been nearly as successful with out that multimillion dollar program.

We have great athletes too, we just have to train them better. The fact is we have hundreds of great athletes that no one has discovered because of our pour school athletic programs. My school once cancelled two weeks of basketball practice because they thought practice did not matter, and that the choir was better suited. This ATTITUDE towards athletics that are not hockey has to change. We have the best athletes in the world, hockey alone shows that. Let's give them a chance!

#33 memememe76

memememe76

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

I really don't want to use Korea as an example that Canada should follow. To me, funding programs should not be altered so greatly because of the colour of medals won. The number of medals won just seems to be a pretty good measure. The colour, more often that not, comes down to things that money can't always buy. I mean, let's say Kesler scored in OT (Heaven Forbid!). Should Hockey Canada just destroy their program and then start from scratch?

Goodness knows we have enough posters defending the current crop of Canucks even though they haven't won the Cup.

Edited by memememe76, 04 August 2012 - 09:57 AM.

Dan Cloutier--the Marie Reine LeGougne of Goaltending!

#34 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

I really don't want to use Korea as an example that Canada should follow. To me, funding programs should not be altered so greatly because of the colour of medals won. The number of medals won just seems to be a pretty good measure. The colour, more often that not, comes down to things that money can't always buy. I mean, let's say Kesler scored in OT (Heaven Forbid!). Should Hockey Canada just destroy their program and then start from scratch?

Goodness knows we have enough posters defending the current crop of Canucks even though they haven't won the Cup.

Total medals we are not even close though. But we have a lot of 5/6 finishes, investments could easily turn those into medals, and get Canada into top 10 in medals. I am not saying invest everything we have, but giving our top athletes a fair playing field would be huge.

#35 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

In the top 10, only Australia has a smaller population. Canada is getting very good bang for the buck for medal production.

Always the way I have looked at it.
We do awesome with what we have.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#36 memememe76

memememe76

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

Total medals we are not even close though.

Total medals, Canada was top 3 in 2010 and currently 11th in 2012. Just outside top 10. I'm fine with that.

#37 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

Total medals, Canada was top 3 in 2010 and currently 11th in 2012. Just outside top 10. I'm fine with that.

Own the podium got out athletes a ton of money in 2010, that money dropped for 2012. YOU are fine with it, but more and more Canadians are not. Majority of Canadians don't want to share your feeling of adequacy. We can be the best, why not try. We have ONE gold at the halfway mark.

You seem like the type of person who if they got a "C" in school, you'd just look at and go "that's ok" when you were capable of going for an "A". Have a sense of pride in your country.

I am sorry, but most Canadians have a sense of "We can be the best, we are the best". If you don't have that maybe you should not be living here. You clearly don't appreciate or even care about this country.

#38 memememe76

memememe76

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

I am sorry, but most Canadians have a sense of "We can be the best, we are the best". If you don't have that maybe you should not be living here. You clearly don't appreciate or even care about this country.

LOL, now that's the Canadian spirit!

Edited by memememe76, 04 August 2012 - 01:21 PM.

#39 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,952 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:16 AM

Own the podium got out athletes a ton of money in 2010, that money dropped for 2012. YOU are fine with it, but more and more Canadians are not. Majority of Canadians don't want to share your feeling of adequacy. We can be the best, why not try. We have ONE gold at the halfway mark.

You seem like the type of person who if they got a "C" in school, you'd just look at and go "that's ok" when you were capable of going for an "A". Have a sense of pride in your country.

I had a long reply lined out, but there's simply too much ignorance here for one guy to address. Even if that guy has been trolling 11,000 times, as you claim.

Let me put this in a way you'll understand. Do you honestly believe it's the Korean government's money that produced these guys?

Posted Image

These national heroes came from opportunity as well as some horrid officiating 10 years ago. There's not a single Korean who thinks the way you do. There's not a single American who thinks it's money that produced Michael Phelps. There's not a single Canadian who thinks money produced Sidney Crosby. And yet there's you, who thinks it's unpatriotic to suggest that money won't produce gold medals.

As for Canadian pride, I think I have Canadian pride. The athletes in London right now? They have Canadian pride. I'm proud of Antoine Valois-Fortier pulling a medal out his arse and stealing a bronze from a sport we don't belong in. I'm proud of Christine Girard making history with what she's achieved with her bronze. I'm proud of Brent Hayden having found redemption at London with his bronze medal. I'm crushed to see Paula Findlay weep her way across the finish line and apologize to Canada for a wrong she never committed.

But what do you care, right? They got bronze, and that's the cheapest gas at Shell. They're all losers, and they don't have gold on their necks. Canadian pride, indeed.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#40 soshified

soshified

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

To whom who's arguing about the colours of the medals that Canada gets.... It doesn't really matter what kind of medal Canada gets.

Wouldn't it be better if Canada gets like 30 bronze but then they have no gold? Sure, it sucks for the athletes, but as the people of the country, that is somehting to be proud of. Especially in the Summer Olympics.

Remember when Rochette won Bronze in 2010? That was probably one the best medal Canada won.

Posted Image

#41 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

Our women's soccer is doing quite well and Christine Sinclair is arguable the best player in the world for women's soccer. It is only a matter of time before our men's teams start to play better.

They might become better and more competitive but medals? I don't think so. The European team and South American team are pumping out superstars at a startling pace.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

View Postdajusta, on 27 March 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#42 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

Maybe you should look at the population of both Countries, and figure if that has anything to do with it as well. Take a look at how many competitors each Country has for the Summer Olympics it's a landslide, USA has 529 in 25 sports, Canada has 277 in 24 sports, USA has more because they have a way bigger population to pick from then Canada.
Posted Image

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#43 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

Maybe you should look at the population of both Countries, and figure if that has anything to do with it as well. Take a look at how many competitors each Country has for the Summer Olympics it's a landslide, USA has 529 in 25 sports, Canada has 277 in 24 sports, USA has more because they have a way bigger population to pick from then Canada.

Considering we have 1/10 the population, having 1/2 the amount of athletes is impressive.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Sig by Ranyart. FEEL FREE TO USE EITHER!

VOTE FOR EDLER!

And might as well vote for Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Luongo and..... I guess Aaron Rome?

#44 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

Considering we have 1/10 the population, having 1/2 the amount of athletes is impressive.

Similar sized countries are getting more medals than us. Competing with the US's idiotic budget, and China's Soviet like program is just not possible, but it is possible to out medal Australia, France, and Germany.

#45 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:35 PM

For the record:

Canada is 11th for medals right now. The countries in the top 10 are:

Rank Country Pop.
1. USA - 315,000,000
2. China - 1,350,000,000
3. Russia - 145,000,000
4. Great Britain - 62,000,000
5. Japan - 125,000,000
6. Germany - 82,000,000
7. France - 65,000,000
8. South Korea - 48,000,000
9. Australia - 23,000,000
10. Italy - 60,000,000
11. Canada - 35,000,000

In the top 10, only Australia has a smaller population. Canada is getting very good bang for the buck for medal production.

Similar sized countries are getting more medals than us. Competing with the US's idiotic budget, and China's Soviet like program is just not possible, but it is possible to out medal Australia, France, and Germany.

Unless "similar sized" includes 2-3 the size then yes. Only Australia has more medals with similar or less population. And don't forget this is the only Olympics they do well in. Combine summer and winter and we dominate them.

Only the USA, China, Russia and Germany significantly outproduce us when combining both games. Considering populations we are kicking ass.

Posted ImagePosted Image

VOTE FOR EDLER!

And might as well vote for Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Luongo and..... I guess Aaron Rome?

#46 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:41 PM

Unless "similar sized" includes 2-3 the size then yes. Only Australia has more medals with similar or less population. And don't forget this is the only Olympics they do well in. Combine summer and winter and we dominate them.

Only the USA, China, Russia and Germany significantly outproduce us when combining both games. Considering populations we are kicking ass.

Population still has little to do with it. We are big enough to produce athletes, and we proved that in 2010. We also have enough of a summer type (or at least non winter) climate here in BC to make that a lame excuse. Our economy matches those countries, and they invest more. So can we. Not saying shoot for the moon, but lets at least get to the sky!

#47 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:52 PM

Population still has little to do with it. We are big enough to produce athletes, and we proved that in 2010. We also have enough of a summer type (or at least non winter) climate here in BC to make that a lame excuse. Our economy matches those countries, and they invest more. So can we. Not saying shoot for the moon, but lets at least get to the sky!

Is being the 5th best country in all of the Olympic games not the sky? we will never compete with US or China, plain and simple.

Yes, population has a lot to do with it. Also don't forget the fact that 90% of our best athletes gravitate to a sport that gives out all of 1 set of medals every 4 years...

Posted ImagePosted Image

VOTE FOR EDLER!

#48 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:05 PM

I root for anyone wearing the red and white. Not being disrespectful, but were you not here in 2010?! Did it not teach you a proper sense of nationality?

Before Alexandre Bilodeau, Granville was busy, after he won, and everyone else won a gold that street flooded with proud Canadians. The 100k who appeared on the streets every night cared. The enormous ratings EVERY Olympics get in Canada seem to point to Canada caring

Well, yeah I was referring mostly about the Summer Olympics and Canada. I know there shouldn't be a difference, but there's no denying that half the nation that watches the Winter Olympics don't even watch the Summer ones because it's boring and bland.

We don't compete in any of the most exciting events and even if we do, it's not like we excel or do well in any of them.

Posted Image

#49 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:30 PM

Well, yeah I was referring mostly about the Summer Olympics and Canada. I know there shouldn't be a difference, but there's no denying that half the nation that watches the Winter Olympics don't even watch the Summer ones because it's boring and bland.

We don't compete in any of the most exciting events and even if we do, it's not like we excel or do well in any of them.

What are the "most exciting events"? Most would say sprinting. Wasn't that long ago we had the fastest man on the planet on two separate occasions in Donovan Bailey and Ben Johnson before him.

There really isn't an event that Canada does not compete in. In recent history Canada has been one of the best countries in several events such as diving, trampoline, rowing, triathalon, track & field and canoe/kayaking.

Posted ImagePosted Image

VOTE FOR EDLER!

#50 Tokasmoka

Tokasmoka

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:07 PM

For summer olympics its all about swimming, so many events that help pad china/america's medal count.

#51 skolozsy2

skolozsy2

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:40 AM

The United States Olympic team is simply so successful is because they invest a massive amount of money in their athletes. Their soccer program alone gets more money than our entire Olympic program.

Own the Podium was successful in Vancouver 2010, but the total amount of investing dropped for the 2012 games. Granted the amount of total money invested is far higher than the 70's/80s/90s, where we hosted two separate Olympic games, and did not even get a gold medal.

Similar, and even worse economies invest more than us, should we step up and pay more, or put the money into other things?

The United States is est. to have spent $300m on their athletes for these games. Canada has spent a fraction of this, and it shows in the medal count.

In my opinion $300m is ridicules, especially for a country so in debt, but some more money can be found somewhere. New Zealand has half the economy of BC alone, and has 2 gold medals, and usually gets more golds than us. Spending what Germany, and Australia do seems logical. Spending smart, and to be competitive, and give our athletes an actual chance.

US Olympic and National teams get very little funding from the US government. A small portion comes from civilian donations and fund-raisers. The majority of that money comes from corporate sponsorships. Coca~Cola, Proctor/Gamble, McDonalds, GE, Nike, United Airlines, and a number of other large companies is where funding for US teams comes from.

And alot of thier training is done by the NCAA, or at elite training camps. The government doesnt pay for thier camps, thier parents do.

#52 We Broke The Cup

We Broke The Cup

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

It is only a matter of time before our men's teams start to play better.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/26/canadian-soccer-players-left-out-in-the-cold
This certainly won't help.

#53 EvoX

EvoX

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

Money is neccessary but not sufficent to get Canada more medals.

It is the lack of quality competitive competitions for Canadian athletes to push themselve to the next level.
NCAA has competitions of pretty much every olympic categories and it is these competitions plus training that help them to produce quality athletes. A lot of Canadian athletes literally spends to their last penny just to get themselve prepare for the game. They don't have sponsorship nor government pouring into the program and help them train.

Comparing the size of the country to medal standing is not right, when the athletes don't have mulitmillion dollar of resource to train, a bronze medal to me is good enough already.

Also remember how difficult it is to get into top 10/20 ranking let alone winning at Olympic game.

I am so proud of our athletes and to me they are all winners
Posted Image

#54 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

Money is neccessary but not sufficent to get Canada more medals.

It is the lack of quality competitive competitions for Canadian athletes to push themselve to the next level.
NCAA has competitions of pretty much every olympic categories and it is these competitions plus training that help them to produce quality athletes. A lot of Canadian athletes literally spends to their last penny just to get themselve prepare for the game. They don't have sponsorship nor government pouring into the program and help them train.

Comparing the size of the country to medal standing is not right, when the athletes don't have mulitmillion dollar of resource to train, a bronze medal to me is good enough already.

Also remember how difficult it is to get into top 10/20 ranking let alone winning at Olympic game.

I am so proud of our athletes and to me they are all winners

Great point. In track & Field at least, it seemed that a lot of the Canadian athletes were currently attending or had attended NCAA programs.

Posted ImagePosted Image

VOTE FOR EDLER!

#55 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:44 PM

Great point. In track & Field at least, it seemed that a lot of the Canadian athletes were currently attending or had attended NCAA programs.

yep our high jump Winner is in NCAA I believed but amazing enough our swimming winners are from the UBC and UVIC swimming program that is pretty good......

I think we should be positive that our top athlete is quite young around 22/23 especially in swimming and track and gymanistic....hopefully we can build on that....

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#56 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

yep our high jump Winner is in NCAA I believed but amazing enough our swimming winners are from the UBC and UVIC swimming program that is pretty good......

I think we should be positive that our top athlete is quite young around 22/23 especially in swimming and track and gymanistic....hopefully we can build on that....

Which is important because many of our top athletes have likely seen their last olympics. Van Koeverdan, Whitfield, Hughes, Despatie, ect...

Posted ImagePosted Image

VOTE FOR EDLER!

#57 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:44 AM

For the record:

Canada is 11th for medals right now. The countries in the top 10 are:

Rank Country Pop.
1. USA - 315,000,000
2. China - 1,350,000,000
3. Russia - 145,000,000
4. Great Britain - 62,000,000
5. Japan - 125,000,000
6. Germany - 82,000,000
7. France - 65,000,000
8. South Korea - 48,000,000
9. Australia - 23,000,000
10. Italy - 60,000,000
11. Canada - 35,000,000

On the BBC website it is done differently in as much as they seem to accept that it is winning that counts (how un British of them) :)

I don't understand why Canada does so poorly or why it seems acceptable. I always thought of Canada as a wealthy Country and assumed they would channel some of that wealth into sports of all types. They are rapidly improving in Rugby and that will feature in "7's" form in Rio where I think the Canadians will do well in it. They are also improving at a good rate in soccer and I was very impressed with Canada's women (a few I suspect of Scottish descent.......15% of the population is descendant from Scots) in the Olympics. With their size they should also do well in sports such as swimming, rowing, boxing etc.

Rank Country    Total
1 "
United States" 46 29 29 104
2 "
China" 38 27 23 88
3 "
Great Britain & N. Ireland" 29 17 19 65
4 "
Russian Federation" 24 26 32 82
5 "
South Korea" 13 8 7 28
6 "
Germany" 11 19 14 44
7 "
France" 11 11 12 34
8 "
Italy" 8 9 11 28
9 "
Hungary" 8 4 5 17
10 "
Australia" 7 16 12 35
11 "
Japan" 7 14 17 38
12 "
Kazakhstan" 7 1 5 13
13 "
Netherlands" 6 6 8 20
14 "
Ukraine" 6 5 9 20
15 "
New Zealand" 6 2 5 13
16 "
Cuba" 5 3 6 14
17 "
Iran" 4 5 3 12
18 "
Jamaica" 4 4 4 12
19 "
Czech Republic" 4 3 3 10
20 "
North Korea" 4 0 2 6
21 "
Spain" 3 10 4 17
22 "
Brazil" 3 5 9 17
23 "
South Africa" 3 2 1 6
24 "
Ethiopia" 3 1 3 7
25 "
Croatia" 3 1 2 6
26 "
Belarus" 2 5 5 12
27 "
Romania" 2 5 2 9
28 "
Kenya" 2 4 5 11
29 "
Denmark" 2 4 3 9
30 "
Poland" 2 2 6 10
30 "
Azerbaijan" 2 2 6 10
32 "
Turkey" 2 2 1 5
33 "
Switzerland" 2 2 0 4
34 "
Lithuania" 2 1 2 5
35 "
Norway" 2 1 1 4
36 "
Canada" 1 5 12 18
37 "
Sweden" 1 4 3 8
38 "

Edited by Bodee, 14 August 2012 - 05:01 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#58 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

On the BBC website it is done differently in as much as they seem to accept that it is winning that counts (how un British of them) :)

I don't understand why Canada does so poorly or why it seems acceptable.

How did we do poorly?

Is it really doing "poorly" if one of out athletes finishes second or third or even 23rd in the world (out of 7 billion people)?

To me, the biggest indication of the success of Olympic programs is the number of athletes a country sends to the games, compared to the population size. Canada sent 281 elite athletes. Every country ahead of them has significantly highly population.

i know everyone wants us to be the best at everything, but we can't. We are one of the top 3 or 4 countries in the Winter Olympics every year. We are one of the top 15 countries in the Summer Olympics every year. Overall, we are essentially the 5th best country at the Olympics overall (summer + winter) with only the US, China, Russia and Germany outperforming us at both Olympics.

Expecting Canada to be the best country at the Summer Olympics considering our population size and climate is ridiculous.

Posted ImagePosted Image

VOTE FOR EDLER!

#59 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

IOC officially ranks countries by Gold Medal wins NOT total medals.

Canada had ONE. We finished near dead last.

#60 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

How did we do poorly?

Is it really doing "poorly" if one of out athletes finishes second or third or even 23rd in the world (out of 7 billion people)?

To me, the biggest indication of the success of Olympic programs is the number of athletes a country sends to the games, compared to the population size. Canada sent 281 elite athletes. Every country ahead of them has significantly highly population.

i know everyone wants us to be the best at everything, but we can't. We are one of the top 3 or 4 countries in the Winter Olympics every year. We are one of the top 15 countries in the Summer Olympics every year. Overall, we are essentially the 5th best country at the Olympics overall (summer + winter) with only the US, China, Russia and Germany outperforming us at both Olympics.

Expecting Canada to be the best country at the Summer Olympics considering our population size and climate is ridiculous.

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing".

We can certainly compete in everything, since countries Ukraine which have worse climates than us finished higher. BC is a good enough climate to train 8 months of the year, and with 90% of the sports you can train indoors anyways. If you are contempt with just doing "OK" every year you should become a Islanders fan too.

Enough of this attitude, we have the resources to finish top 7, let's do it. Why be ok when we can be the best, and near the top.

If Canada spent a little more, a lot of those 5-7th place finishes could have been bronze and silvers, while all those medals we already won, could easily have been gold.

We have the athletes ready, we just have to give them the proper support. Do you REALLY think Phelps wins all those golds with out all that funding?! Training makes great athletes, great. No one wins Olympic gold with no training, and it is ALWAYS the teams that invest the best, who win.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.