The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada, and investing in our Olympic team

Kamero89

The only way to develop a sport is to get kids exposed at an early age.

The only way to expose kids at an early age is to have awareness and opportunities for them to develop

The only way to have development opportunities is to have support both financial and in terms of personnel

If we want to improve in these minority sports we need to make a LONG TERM committment to start young and see athletes through to the final stages of their growth.

The proof is in women's hockey - money is being given to Finland, Sweden, Switzerland, Slovakia, etc. and even though their progress is slow, it is still a vast improvement from what they were 10 years ago.

Does it even matter?

The only sport i really, truly care about is hockey. I don't care about swimming, skiing, snowboarding, cycling.. Like okay sure if we win a medal, that's great woopie.. Not gonna change my life in anyway.

However, a Gold in Men's hockey is the only thing i care about.

The Olympics is pretty much just a d*ck measuring contest.

We have never been good at the Summer games. There's no reason to do something like that.

Gold medals generally come from some form of natural talent. You should be grateful enough to have Canadian athletes working their butts off, come out of nowhere and steal a medal.

Canada is doing a decent job so far. Yeah, they haven't won gold yet, but there haven't been many events where they're the favourites. Own the Podium cannot produce a Phelps or a Douglas.

Does it even matter?

The only sport i really, truly care about is hockey. I don't care about swimming, skiing, snowboarding, cycling.. Like okay sure if we win a medal, that's great woopie.. Not gonna change my life in anyway.

However, a Gold in Men's hockey is the only thing i care about.

The Olympics is pretty much just a d*ck measuring contest.

I've always been a huge advocate for funding sports starting at the grassroots level and working up. There are so many more benefits that we get out of sports at a grassroots level that has nothing to do with success at the elite international level, but that is one.

HOWEVER more money doesn't mean more medals, and our success shouldn't be measured on medals alone. Don't forget Canada has a smaller population than most of the countries ahead of us in the medal standings (China, USA, Japan, Russia, France, UK, Italy, South Korea, Spain). You also can;t forget that most of our countries best athletes gravitate to hockey at a very early age. And if not hockey, then either other team sports or winter sports.

At the grassroots level it is easier and more beneficial to fund team sports. Hockey, soccer, baseball, basketball, football, lacrosse than it is individual sports that dominate most of the medals given out. Canada has always leaned towards team sports compared to a lot of the countries in the world.

I have no problem with the position Canada is on the international stage. Top 15 in the Summer and Top 3-5 in the Winter. Considering we are the 35th most populated country in the world that's pretty good if you ask me.

We are never going to compete with China or the USA at the olympics.

To put in perspective why exactly funds are needed. Picture the Canucks having to practice with road hockey sticks, instead of having a team of coaches they just get one, and they can only practice 3 days a week at very selective hours because they can't afford to own their own rink. And to weight train, they also have to use a public gym, which does not have the weights needed for them to get stronger.

Understand why money is needed now. The best equipment, coaches, and facilities in the world can get 2 seconds off your time, which can mean a difference between Gold, and Silver. It is not a coincidence the teams that spend the most, win the most. Phelps would not have been nearly as successful with out that multimillion dollar program.

We have great athletes too, we just have to train them better. The fact is we have hundreds of great athletes that no one has discovered because of our pour school athletic programs. My school once cancelled two weeks of basketball practice because they thought practice did not matter, and that the choir was better suited. This ATTITUDE towards athletics that are not hockey has to change. We have the best athletes in the world, hockey alone shows that. Let's give them a chance!

I really don't want to use Korea as an example that Canada should follow. To me, funding programs should not be altered so greatly because of the colour of medals won. The number of medals won just seems to be a pretty good measure. The colour, more often that not, comes down to things that money can't always buy. I mean, let's say Kesler scored in OT (Heaven Forbid!). Should Hockey Canada just destroy their program and then start from scratch?

Goodness knows we have enough posters defending the current crop of Canucks even though they haven't won the Cup.

I really don't want to use Korea as an example that Canada should follow. To me, funding programs should not be altered so greatly because of the colour of medals won. The number of medals won just seems to be a pretty good measure. The colour, more often that not, comes down to things that money can't always buy. I mean, let's say Kesler scored in OT (Heaven Forbid!). Should Hockey Canada just destroy their program and then start from scratch?

Goodness knows we have enough posters defending the current crop of Canucks even though they haven't won the Cup.

Own the podium got out athletes a ton of money in 2010, that money dropped for 2012. YOU are fine with it, but more and more Canadians are not. Majority of Canadians don't want to share your feeling of adequacy. We can be the best, why not try. We have ONE gold at the halfway mark.

You seem like the type of person who if they got a "C" in school, you'd just look at and go "that's ok" when you were capable of going for an "A". Have a sense of pride in your country.

I am sorry, but most Canadians have a sense of "We can be the best, we are the best". If you don't have that maybe you should not be living here. You clearly don't appreciate or even care about this country.

To whom who's arguing about the colours of the medals that Canada gets.... It doesn't really matter what kind of medal Canada gets.

Wouldn't it be better if Canada gets like 30 bronze but then they have no gold? Sure, it sucks for the athletes, but as the people of the country, that is somehting to be proud of. Especially in the Summer Olympics.

Remember when Rochette won Bronze in 2010? That was probably one the best medal Canada won.

Archived