Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Canada, and investing in our Olympic team

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#61 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing".

We can certainly compete in everything, since countries Ukraine which have worse climates than us finished higher. BC is a good enough climate to train 8 months of the year, and with 90% of the sports you can train indoors anyways. If you are contempt with just doing "OK" every year you should become a Islanders fan too.

Enough of this attitude, we have the resources to finish top 7, let's do it. Why be ok when we can be the best, and near the top.

If Canada spent a little more, a lot of those 5-7th place finishes could have been bronze and silvers, while all those medals we already won, could easily have been gold.

We have the athletes ready, we just have to give them the proper support. Do you REALLY think Phelps wins all those golds with out all that funding?! Training makes great athletes, great. No one wins Olympic gold with no training, and it is ALWAYS the teams that invest the best, who win.

There is a limit that I as a Canadian am willing to spend on Olympic programs. Anyone that has read my posts knows how much I love the Olympics and support our athletes. However, is it worth putting millions more dollars into training athletes just to win a few more medals if it hurts the education funding? or health care?

Ukraine did well because they concentrate is a few events. Boxing being the biggest one. They also have significantly higher population and sent less athletes in less events.

What does winning more golds get Canada as a country? Bragging rights?

Posted ImagePosted Image
Sig by Ranyart. FEEL FREE TO USE EITHER!

VOTE FOR EDLER!

And might as well vote for Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Luongo and..... I guess Aaron Rome?

#62 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

As for "winning isn't everything, it's the only thing", that pretty much goes against everything the Olympics stand for This isn't major league sports were the players are paid better than doctors, it's amateur athletes that are giving their all

Posted ImagePosted Image

VOTE FOR EDLER!

And might as well vote for Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Luongo and..... I guess Aaron Rome?

#63 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:06 AM

As for "winning isn't everything, it's the only thing", that pretty much goes against everything the Olympics stand for This isn't major league sports were the players are paid better than doctors, it's amateur athletes that are giving their all

I don't know about the Canadians ................but over here, they are hardly amateurs.

And that doesn't even include their big lottery fund sponsorships
Kevin.jpg

#64 canucks-fan-in-oz

canucks-fan-in-oz

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:37 AM

Most athletes aren't amatuers, a lot are pro. But because they don't make $20million a year doesn't make them not pro. Swimmers compete at FINA world champs every year, cyclists have all the tours, etc. In Australia, doing well is absolutely their love and joy. I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but in Australia, the swimming team was supposed to be the highlight of the Olympics. Instead, the swimmers got 1 gold(womens relay), 6 silvers (including James Magnussen losing his race, then acting like a spoilt brat/sore loser because he lost) and 3 bronze.
I think the whole of Australia was disappointed and upset because the media was pumping it up that we should be one of the best, being told we should be in the top 4 on the tally, that it's going to be a golden olympics etc. As a matter of fact though, funding for sports has dropped since the Sydney games, with a lot of the athletes income coming from their endorsements. I was so sick of watching the same ads over and over.

#65 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:54 PM

Yeah, the TOP athletes in the world make enough money from paid events, sponsorships, ect.

But out of 15,000 athletes at the Olympics this year, how many fit into that category? Not many. And definitely not many Canadian athletes, if any at all. The majority of them work a full-time job to support themselves in training, to get themselves around the world for competitions and pay for (some) training, coaching and equipment.

For every Phelps or Pendleton, there is 500 Derek Drouin or Catherine Pendrel.

Posted ImagePosted Image

VOTE FOR EDLER!

#66 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

Using the U.S. as an example of fiscal responsibility is possibly the stupidest thing you could do.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.