The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

would you rather finish last and get a yakupov or win a president trophy and lose in first round?

TACIC

Well gee, "IF" you're guartanteed to lose in the first round who wouldn't want the best undrafted prospect available. Unfortunately there aren't any guarantees like that in sports. I'll take being a competitive team that has a very good chance to win the cup. The day may come where the Canucks may want to "Fail for Nail" (or the next big up and coming prospect) but now is not the time.

It would be a very long season of failures in order for us to place last. And Yakupov is only one player. At least with a Prezzy winning team we get to enjoy a high calibre of hockey for the majority of the 82 game season. Not so much last season but the season before, the quality of our team's hockey was fantastic. It was a treat watching them play like that night after night.

Do you mean would I rather the Canucks be in the Oiler's situation? Not really because I'd have to sit through 7 years of terrible hockey (excluding their fluke run to the finals in 05-06). Seven years is a long time, I know alot of you people would probably burn all your Canucks swag after only a few years of sucking.

The Oilers are currently stacked with potentially elite forwards, yet they still have weak defensive depth and goaltending. If that is going to change they are going to have to trade a couple of those blue chips they have. So yes if they are smart they could become a pretty good team.

The Canucks currently a contender and because of Gillis retaining picks and building from within, the Canucks look to stay competitive for a long time to come. All without tanking for seven years to get high end picks!! Bonus.

Archived