The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

would you rather finish last and get a yakupov or win a president trophy and lose in first round?

TACIC

I'll say this much, no one wants to go out in the first round. However I would take 5 playoff games over Yakupov any day, because at least the season was entertaining. I could head down to a pub or watch the game with buddies and actually get a chance to cheer more often than not. In Edmonton it's just the opposite, not hope but despair. Despair of being a lousy city with lousy goaltending and no hope of attracting free agents. I'd take 5 playoff games any day.

Here's the problem. Having a loser, even for years doesn't always pan out and it's a huge gamble. Pittsburgh ran into bankruptcy issues before getting Crosby and that's a fact. The only difference between them and say the Islanders is that they got the right player at the right time.

Edmonton is guaranteed anything and until they do something more than last place, I'll hold true to my statement.

we'd never hear the end of it from all the fanbases that hate us - and fact is, NOBODY wants to finish last. you think the boards are bad now? and after the first round? even after SCF game 7... trolls would explode the boards, canuck fans would be burning jerseys... half of CDC would have to remake a login becuase they swore they weren't canuck fans anymore.

Getting 1st overall pick means that your teams sucks bad. To get consecutive top 3 picks means that your team inconsistently poorly managed. This is nothing to celebrate. I want my team to compete for every shift, every game, every season. I don't want the humiliation of a top pick (unless, like Boston - Seguin, it is obtained via a trade). The reason the Canucks do not get top picks is that they are too well managed. I would take Presidents trophy every year rather than a top pick. What happens in the playoffs is a different story altogether, peak at the right time and stay healthy and you might go all the way to the cup.

Archived