The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

would you rather finish last and get a yakupov or win a president trophy and lose in first round?

TACIC

This is the silliest idea ever. Yakupov will at some time in his career finish very high in the standings and lose in the first round. So will all the other number one draft picks. The idea of tanking to get a top draftee is idiotic at best, no team gets ugly and unskilled on purpose in order to acquire a 17 year old who might help them if he doesn't suffer a near fatal head injury sometime in the next decade.

I have a subjective personal opinion on this .

I believe winning the Presidents trophy is the second best thing to winning the Stanley Cup. Sure its not as good and sure there is no parade.

Winning the Presidents trophy means we have won the hockey season. Its a fact. Its not spun that way in the media but the Stanley cup is a second season tournament and all the regular season did was decide who gets to participate and what seeding they get.

As we have seen, its a huge crap shoot from there.

So I am proud of the Canucks . We are the two time defending regular season champions. Not as good as the cup but pretty darn good.

As for tanking for #1 overall? Its a disgrace in my opinion and they should change the rule.

They should give all 14 non playoff teams one ball in the lottery and just pull them out one by one . Starting with the 14th pick all the way down to 1st overall.

This will stop teams from tanking and give teams like Calgary a chance to try as hard as they can to make the playoffs and still get a franchise player .

I would never want to see my team take last place.....for anything! Edmonton (like Chicago) should have NO PRIDE in getting high picks because they sucked soooo bad for so many years. Just wait til the riches of these young players destroy the team one by one, they will be just like the chi town one hit wonders.

My team being respectfully competative for ten years or so is far better than one cup! IMO.

I wouldn't have a bad team that sucks if it's just for Yakupov. Because that means building up the rest of the team will take forever, or will never work.

I would only do it because I was in edmonton's position, where I am able to secure multiple 1st overall draft picks over the years and can pick up multiple future hall of famers when they are young.

If you mean the canucks would tank a season just to get yakupov - that's also stupid, because by the time yakupov is becoming an impact player, the team is already in decline.

You want to draft and pick up free agents according to the design philosophy. Super young, you wanna go early in the draft, and trade assets for more early picks so that they all peak when they are 22-23 in around the same set of years. Super old, and you'll trade draft picks to pick up key free agents like the rangers used to always do, since you pick up players who have already peaked. Mid-age, like the canucks are doing, and you'll want to draft late bloomers and trade for mid-age free agents so that they all coincide and peak at the same time in the future (some may be early into their peak years, some into their late peak years, but they'll all be around their peak, and the transition to a new core group is always possible).

In addition, you add a sprinkling of veteran free agents to teach/help out, and a bit of youngblood to gain experience. raise competition and have some fresh legs.

As many great draft picks the Oilers have had over the past few years, they still have not made it to the playoffs. Furthermore, I would not be surprised if some of their players like Eberle and Hall get offer sheets from other teams when they become RFA's.

So let me get this straight, your hypothetical question relies on the foresight from the start of the season to be able to guarantee one of two things.

1. You would be best in the regular season but lose in 5 in the first round.

2. You would be second worst in the regulars season yet win the draft lottery.

And all that relies on having the talent in your team (or lack thereof) to accomplish each goal by winning or losing games accordingly. You can't exactly win games intentionally, but you losing them intentionally isn't a goal I'd like to have even if I knew the outcome beforehand, regardless of the reward.

If we drop in standing like that, expect to loose a couple of key players when they request a trade (ones that we likely would want to keep). When you have a locker room with a winning attitude suddenly losing like that.... that's one team I wouldn't want to be on.

Columbus was also dead last in the standings and they got 2nd pick. It's not a sure thing to get the 1st overall pick and the lottery is there for that very reason of deterring teams from trying to get the first overall pick. You also have no control over the selection of players at the draft. One year you have a Stamkos, another year you have a Tavares (who is still a good player, but he's no Stamkos as of yet).

I would rather win the President's Trophy and lose in the first round, if I had to choose. My reasoning is that this scenario implies that the team does not suck and is not in the process of rebuilding. While a young superstar would obviously be extremely valuable, one player does not make a team.

Jesus Christ can you guys shut up about bandwagons or bandwagoners None of you even use the term properly.

Lets clear this up once and for all.

BANDWAGONER

eg; My mom

Someone who doesnt give a rats ass about the sport or the players for 7 months only to start saying stuff like "Oh that Kesler is cute" or " A.V. is French don't you know" and "Schnieders a red head?" during the third round of the playoffs.

ANYONE!!!!!! and i mean ANYONE WHO EVEN THINKS TO FIGHT ABOUT or DISCUSS ANY!!!! and i mean ANYYYYYY topic regarding salary,players,coaches decisions,drafting,draft position whether your opinion is personal or objective 365 days a year does not make someone a Bandwagoner.

I don't agree with a lot of coaches and players decisions from our team and personally i think Bure is a goof and never liked him.

That's called an opinion.Just like my rant here.

so stop confusing bandwagon with personal opinion.

Where is the guarantee that we would finish last? It certainly appeared to me that it was a three team race to see who could lose the most in order to secure the highest % of probability for the top overall pick...but since the Draft operates on a lottery system...even if you were to finish dead last...there's no guarantee you'd get the top pick anyway.

So let me get this straight, your hypothetical question relies on the foresight from the start of the season to be able to guarantee one of two things.

1. You would be best in the regular season but lose in 5 in the first round.

2. You would be second worst in the regulars season yet win the draft lottery.

And all that relies on having the talent in your team (or lack thereof) to accomplish each goal by winning or losing games accordingly. You can't exactly win games intentionally, but you losing them intentionally isn't a goal I'd like to have even if I knew the outcome beforehand, regardless of the reward.

Archived