The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

would you rather finish last and get a yakupov or win a president trophy and lose in first round?

TACIC

I have a subjective personal opinion on this .

I believe winning the Presidents trophy is the second best thing to winning the Stanley Cup. Sure its not as good and sure there is no parade.

Winning the Presidents trophy means we have won the hockey season. Its a fact. Its not spun that way in the media but the Stanley cup is a second season tournament and all the regular season did was decide who gets to participate and what seeding they get.

As we have seen, its a huge crap shoot from there.

So I am proud of the Canucks . We are the two time defending regular season champions. Not as good as the cup but pretty darn good.

As for tanking for #1 overall? Its a disgrace in my opinion and they should change the rule.

They should give all 14 non playoff teams one ball in the lottery and just pull them out one by one . Starting with the 14th pick all the way down to 1st overall.

This will stop teams from tanking and give teams like Calgary a chance to try as hard as they can to make the playoffs and still get a franchise player .

Fully agree with this post. It has been a delight following a winning team after so many years of suckage. It's so nice to feel proud of the team. The Canucks are a great team to watch almost every night they play. Me thinks some of the fans are getting spoilt.

It would be a very long season of failures in order for us to place last. And Yakupov is only one player. At least with a Prezzy winning team we get to enjoy a high calibre of hockey for the majority of the 82 game season. Not so much last season but the season before, the quality of our team's hockey was fantastic. It was a treat watching them play like that night after night.

OP, I dont understand this hypothetical situation.

I imagine wed have to give away alot of our good players to finish last, just to get Yakupov in exchange?

I would certainly trade both of the President's Trophies for Yakupov straight up, it is a very lame accomplishment. But only if the rest of the team remains intact.

Just be thankful we aren't in the Isles' position. Waning attendance, no new arena deal in sight, not having enough money even if they wanted to go after any big name acquisitions via free agency in order to build a team that can even sniff the playoffs.

We're better than that in every sense of the word. Lining our pockets with high draft picks by intentionally performing poorly is a disgrace. I absolutely hate the Oilers and the fact that they have used this tactic to rebuild their team is an embarrassment to hockey and only further cements my hatred of them. The Leafs have been in a similar rebuilding process and regardless of how terrible the Leafs are, their team being terrible is not from a lack of effort, it's from the complete incompetence of Brian Burke. I would rather a team crash and burn while giving it their all than fail on purpose to get better picks.

I have absolutely no respect for this mentality and I hope the Oilers burn for it.

tank like the oilers do ever year because they think this improves their chance to be good. You do realize that one day when they are good they will not be able to afford all those first rounders to multi million dollar years. Chicaco a prime example of sucking for years and stealing draft picks in the top 10. I would rather have a later round draft pick, there are more gems picked in the later rounds just look how detroit has done over the last 20 years.

I would rather win the Presidents Trophy due to the fact weaker teams have a harder time signing free agents. We are a cup contender and players will want to come here. I doubt Yakupov will make an impact right away, we want to bring in some guys that will impact the roster immediately like Garrison and Doan or Arnott.

Its not great logic. Of the first overall picks the last 20 years, four have won a cup;Lecavalier, Kane, Crosby and M.A. Fleury . And really just Jovo in Florida and Crosby helped convert the team to a serious contender reasonably quickly. Most of these teams suffered for years before getting the #1, and (take a look at the Oilers) also suffered since.

Daigle

Jovanovski

Berard

Phillips

Thornton

Lecavalier

Stefan

Dipietro

Kovalchuck

Nash

Mark-Andre Fleury

Ovechkin

Crosby

Eric Johnson

Patrick Kane

Stamkos

Tavares

Taylor Hall

RNH

Yakupov

Bad teams finish last after having lost their will and disinterested play can destroy a franchise with no guarantee a star can rebuild championship mentality?

The twenty years before that; just Potvin, Modano and Lemieux led their draft teams to cups, but none right away.

Would you rather finish last and get a Yakupov type player or finish first,win presidents trophy and get knocked out in first round?Post thoughts below

Archived