The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Meeting An NHL Player

I wanted to hear people's thoughts on the question, "which NHL player have you always wanted to meet, past or present, and why?" Does not need to be limited to the Canucks.

Following up on that question, if meeting that player as a member of the media, and you had to pose 5 questions to them, what would they be?

Finally, have you gotten a chance to meet that player? If so, stories?

Feel free to add anything relevant.

Thanks!!

I've become a bit jaded meeting players since a few friends and acquaintances are in the league. So I often just go "Hey there's so and so" rather than going over and meeting them (especially if they look busy). Just saw Juice last week and Hank not long before that. Met Iginla a couple years ago as he was checking out of the Weston and he was extremely nice. Which was good because he's frickin huge even without skates.

Other than that, my girlfriend went to school with the Seabrooks. As she tells it Brent was a bit of a tool and his younger brother is much cooler lol.

i met andy bathgate and larry popein as a kid....we got to shag fly balls during their baseball practice....met and got to know jim and joe watson, from smithers...coached a couple of guys that were drafted by nhl teams, but never made it...

my biggest wish was to meet babe pratt, the hall of famer....i had been sending him father's day presents for some years,(long story)....so one day he came to smithers to speak at a sportsman's dinner....i took my son to the dinner...babe was sitting next to our mayor at the head table.....after dinner, i got up to use the washroom...the mayor called me over....he said to babe, we have our own babe pratt, here in smithers...this is joe pratte....babe jumped up and said, i know joe and shook my hand...the mayor's jaw dropped...that was one of my most memorable moments...we had a good talk afterwards, like my son and i, babe said that he too was part cree indian...dan hamhuis and his family go to the same church i do...i played ball against dan's dad marty....i've also always wanted to meat my favorite player, alex delvecchio...i would just like to hear stories from the old six team league and on centering gordie howe and ted lindsay....

Have met: Jerome Iginla, Mark Recchi, Ryan Smith, Artem Chubarov, Shane Doan, Adrian Aucoin

Would love to meet: Gino, Bure.

Brad Marchand.

In an alley, with a ski mask and crowbar.

Oh... and Sean Avery....

So I can laugh at the fact none of the other kids in the league will play with him.

Met several other players socially but only a few Canucks.

In a mix of good and bad luck:

- I tore my ACL and ended up in the hospital at the same time as Bure tore his and met him.. he wasn't very sociable, though I think we were both attached to morphine drips at the time.

- I took a soccer ball in the eye and ended up at the eye clinic many times with Ohlund when he hurt his eye. We chatted a few times in the waiting room he was really nice, he was my favorite Canuck at the time.

(I was hiding out when Salo took it in the junk as I didn't want to continue the trend of matching Canucks injuries)

I also met Gino when competing at a martial arts tournament... he liked being a spectator and even helped me warm up while his toddler was running around bouncing off everything.

Met a few of the Ducks the summer after they won the Cup as one of them is a friend who was staying at my place. Had a bunch over for a BBQ. The thing that struck me most was how freaking young they all were, tough to remember that most of them are in their early 20's. Also, aside from the college guys they really are very insulated from the world and don't know about much aside from hockey. TGhey had me drive them down to skid row to see it because they never got to see it on the bus when they were in town.

i also met fred shero, the flyer's coach when joe watson brought him to smithers to put on a coaching clinic..after wards we all went to the bar for some dirty pop....smart man....i also met ron and rob flockhart, but i can't say i liked them very much....the year before i moved to smithers, joe watson had brought bobby orr up to smithers.....shortly after i moved to smithers, i was in a restaurant when the waitress rushed up to me and yelled, what are you doing here...stunned i didn't know what to say.....later she came back and appologized...she said i looked like bernie parent and she couldn't figure out why i would be there, during the hockey season...the lady was mary watson...jim and joe's mom....

I've met quite a few NHL players, my favourites are Jovanovski, Doan, and Lidstrom would be my top 3 I guess

Jovo, I know personally hes a great guy can't say enough about him!

Doan was so unbelieveably nice, and I had emt him after a huge loss it was like 8-2! He was even rushing to leave or anything like most players do

Lidstrom was similar to Doan they're both really nice and classy

I always wanted to meet Naslund, Linden and Bertuzzi when i was younger. When i got older, i wanted to meet Rypien, Kesler, Bieksa, and Lu. I had the chance to meet Rick in the summer of 2010, he was an incredibly classy, nice, well spoken man. I also met Scott Niedermayer last summer. He was awesome, he started out the convo with a joke and we talked for quite a while.

I wanted to hear people's thoughts on the question, "which NHL player have you always wanted to meet, past or present, and why?" Does not need to be limited to the Canucks.

Following up on that question, if meeting that player as a member of the media, and you had to pose 5 questions to them, what would they be?

Finally, have you gotten a chance to meet that player? If so, stories?

Feel free to add anything relevant.

Thanks!!

I met the Sedins twice when I was at UBC golf course, once at the driving range and once at the restaurant. When I saw them at the driving range I was only about 14 and I was trying to figure out which one was right next to me (turned out to be Daniel) and he overheard me and eventually came over and introduced himself :P such nice guys and got their autographs both times.

current Canuck I would love to meet Burr, all time I would have to say Joe Sakic

I met Hal Gill at a restaurant in Boston a few years ago. Couldn't tell if it was him but as soon as I got closer I knew. He's massive and has scars all over his face. He was really nice, asked us where we were from, had nice things to say about the Canucks, and took some pics with us.

Also met the Leafs squad of about 5 years ago. They were dining at the Earls on Robson the night before their game. They were acting super cocky and when we went up to them to say hi barely any of them even acknowledged that we were even there. We didn't ask for pics or autographs because, let's be honest, it was the Leafs ;)

Met: Naslund, Morrison, Cloutier, Bieksa, Salo, Burrows. Got to tour around their dressing room and facilities about 10 years ago.

Also met George Parros in a bar in Anaheim during the 2009 season, he was drinkin watching the TV. and we bought him a drink and said "Next time you come to town fight Hordy! consider it payback for the drink" just joking around. Sure enough

I'd love to meet Sedins

Archived