The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[THN Article] Jason Arnott's Value

hey guys,

the following is part of an article which can be found here (http://www.thehockey.../articles/48187)

NEWS: The St. Louis Blues decide to not offer a contract to 37-year-old free agent Jason Arnott.

VIEWS: As long as he’s willing to sign for one or two years at about the same money he made last season ($2.9 million), Arnott could be one of the steals of the summer. He is clearly no longer a 30-goal man, but he has proved the past couple of years that he can get somewhere in the upper teens. He’s good on faceoffs, still has a lethal shot and can play on the power play. He keeps himself in good shape and possesses tons of leadership qualities. He would be a good pickup for a team looking for a third-line center who can move up and down the depth chart as needs change.

He's worth 2-2.5 for his 20-goal production (as we pay Raymond apparently, and expect 20 this year). We'll over pay on free agency a bit so his salary is certainly within reason. If Gillis can somehow manage it cap-wise after Doan, I'd offer him 1-2 years at 2.9 in a heartbeat. The guy is a positive +- player who is 6'5" and can pot 20 goals and center our 3rd line, and fill in for Kesler until December. He's pretty much a perfect fit on this team. He's a bit old, but like I said, 1-2 years? The risk isn't huge... we should go for it if it's feasible financially.

I certainly think he'd be an upgrade on Pahlsson and probably be on par with where Hodgson was before we traded him--point production wise. Plus he brings about as much veteran savvy and stanley cup experience as you can get in a player these days.

He's worth 2-2.5 for his 20-goal production (as we pay Raymond apparently, and expect 20 this year). We'll over pay on free agency a bit so his salary is certainly within reason. If Gillis can somehow manage it cap-wise after Doan, I'd offer him 1-2 years at that in a heartbeat. The guy is a positive +- player who is 6'5" and can pot 20 goals and center our 3rd line, and fill in for Kesler until December. He's pretty much a perfect fit on this team. He's a bit old, but like I said, 1-2 years? We should go for it if it's feasible financially.

He hasn't been waiting around for just $1.2mil.

However, he ended last season in the pressbox and reliabilty is now an issue for the guy.

In StL he was given somewhat sheltered minutes on account of him not being a speed-demon anymore. On our team he'd fill-in for Kesler until he returns. We'd have to split duties between all our centers until our workhorse comes back.

I wouldn't get too excited about Jason Arnott, really. Even if he does sign at $1.2 mil.

I would like Doan and Arnott. I know Gillis wants to get younger but I think Schroeder can make the line-up until Kesler comes back. I think it would be good for Jensen, Guance to spend time developing.

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Doan

Higgens-Arnott-Kassian

Lapierre-Malhotra-Hansen

Garrison-Edler

Bieska-Hamhuis

Ballard-Tanev

Schneider

Lu

PP1

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler

Garrison-Edler

PP2

Booth-Arnott-Kassian

Bieska-Higgens

Pk1

Kesler-Burrows

Bieska-Hamhuis

Pk2

Malhotra-Hansen

Garrison-Edler

Of course this is when Kesler is healthy. If we don't have the cap space we can trade Luongo for picks and hopefully a young prospect. Than we could sign another cheap back up or get Theodore or just have Lack as the back up, but personally I think he could use another year in the AHL.

I would like Doan and Arnott. I know Gillis wants to get younger but I think Schroeder can make the line-up until Kesler comes back. I think it would be good for Jensen, Guance to spend time developing.

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Doan

Higgens-Arnott-Kassian

Lapierre-Malhotra-Hansen

Garrison-Edler

Bieska-Hamhuis

Ballard-Tanev

Schneider

Lu

PP1

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler

Garrison-Edler

PP2

Booth-Arnott-Kassian

Bieska-Higgens

Pk1

Kesler-Burrows

Bieska-Hamhuis

Pk2

Malhotra-Hansen

Garrison-Edler

Of course this is when Kesler is healthy. If we don't have the cap space we can trade Luongo for picks and hopefully a young prospect. Than we could sign another cheap back up or get Theodore or just have Lack as the back up, but personally I think he could use another year in the AHL.

I don't think anything will happen until Doan makes a decision....which isn't really a hard one. Vancouver, where your wife is from and in the province where you played your Junior career, or PHX who's management can't pull the money together to offer you a contract and who's residents voted AGAINST having the Coyotes remain in PHX.

Other contenders like San Jose don't have much to offer either besides money. Their team is fizzling out with little talent on D besides Boyle and Burns and Thornton and Marleau are aging.

MAKE THE DECISION ALREADY!!!!

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Doan

Higgens-Arnott-Kassian

Lapierre-Malhotra-Hansen

Garrison-Edler

Bieska-Hamhuis

Ballard-Tanev

Schneider

Lu

PP1

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler