Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[THN Article] Jason Arnott's Value

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#31 Clonedanielsedin

Clonedanielsedin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

Hes a monster with some skill. I've always been an Arnott fan.

Edited by NoSpeakaEnglesh, 04 August 2012 - 01:22 PM.

#32 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

He's worth 2-2.5 for his 20-goal production (as we pay Raymond apparently, and expect 20 this year). We'll over pay on free agency a bit so his salary is certainly within reason. If Gillis can somehow manage it cap-wise after Doan, I'd offer him 1-2 years at 2.9 in a heartbeat. The guy is a positive +- player who is 6'5" and can pot 20 goals and center our 3rd line, and fill in for Kesler until December. He's pretty much a perfect fit on this team. He's a bit old, but like I said, 1-2 years? The risk isn't huge... we should go for it if it's feasible financially.

I certainly think he'd be an upgrade on Pahlsson and probably be on par with where Hodgson was before we traded him--point production wise. Plus he brings about as much veteran savvy and stanley cup experience as you can get in a player these days.

This

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#33 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

I would like Doan and Arnott. I know Gillis wants to get younger but I think Schroeder can make the line-up until Kesler comes back. I think it would be good for Jensen, Guance to spend time developing.

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Doan
Higgens-Arnott-Kassian
Lapierre-Malhotra-Hansen

Garrison-Edler
Bieska-Hamhuis
Ballard-Tanev

Schneider
Lu

PP1
Sedin-Sedin-Kesler
Garrison-Edler

PP2
Booth-Arnott-Kassian
Bieska-Higgens

Pk1
Kesler-Burrows
Bieska-Hamhuis

Pk2
Malhotra-Hansen
Garrison-Edler

Of course this is when Kesler is healthy. If we don't have the cap space we can trade Luongo for picks and hopefully a young prospect. Than we could sign another cheap back up or get Theodore or just have Lack as the back up, but personally I think he could use another year in the AHL.

Have you looked at the Cap numbers for that roster??

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#34 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:44 PM

If we can't get Doan, Arnott could bring similar skills, with his size, physical play, veteran experience and versatility. I think for under $3m on a one-year deal Arnott is good value and can play anywhere in the lineup.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#35 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,572 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

It would be great if we could sign both Doan and Arnott....leadership, size, skill, grit and experience.
If I was Arnott, I would consider anything less than $2.5M an insult. Not sure why so many on here think that everyone is going to sign at a discount to play in Vancouver.
If he signed with us for 2 years at $2.5M per season, I would consider that fair.

Edited by bluesman60, 04 August 2012 - 02:23 PM.

#36 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

Anything under 2 million would be fair
Posted Image

#37 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

Ok 2.5 max to play fr us but he should be able to get at least 3 frm another team
Posted Image

#38 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:50 AM

I never understand this way of thinking.
Firstly, is he what we need? If the answer is yes then we negotiate to agreement. If it means $2.9 then ok.

We need to stop walking away all the time and start focussing on what will get us that extra mile. We have footered about and deliberated now for 2 years picking up rehab projects and odds and ends, without seemingly identifying our needs and going out of our way to acquire them.
Kevin.jpg

#39 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,285 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:20 AM

He's an upgrade on Malhotra, probably around the same worth as Lapierre but he brings a wealth of experience.

Probably worth 1.7 to 2.0M, 1 year.

The Canucks desperately need to rebuild their depth at center and while a nice young centerman would have been nice (Hodgson would have filled this void perfectly), we're going to have to find an older guy. Personally, I'd prefer Hecht over Arnott but no one seems to be talking about him, most underrated UFA by a long shot. Even Brule would fill this void, but if we can nab Arnott for under 2M we should.
Posted Image

#40 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,101 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:15 AM

I don't think anything will happen until Doan makes a decision....which isn't really a hard one. Vancouver, where your wife is from and in the province where you played your Junior career, or PHX who's management can't pull the money together to offer you a contract and who's residents voted AGAINST having the Coyotes remain in PHX.

Other contenders like San Jose don't have much to offer either besides money. Their team is fizzling out with little talent on D besides Boyle and Burns and Thornton and Marleau are aging.

MAKE THE DECISION ALREADY!!!!

or he can go to the rangers or penguins, both of which are arguably better than the canucks. So yea, we're not the only cup contender; he has several to chose from.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#41 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,101 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

Oh give it a rest with the whole "leadership" thing. We have enough leaders on the team. What we need is guys who can get the job done on the ice. The last thing we need is another cheerleader in the locker room.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#42 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:24 AM

Gillis won't over pay.

#43 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:11 AM

Hid footspeed/Skating is something that worries me.

And everything that Elvis said is also a bit of a worry.

When I saw this thread, I wondered how long it would take someone to mention the 'rumour' from the 'insider(s)' about the $1.2M. I didn't have to wait very long. Without anyone else having reported it, I believe that as much as I do the moon is made of green cheese.

EDIT: I guess I should talk about the Arnott info. I don't see him getting $2.75M again, as I did feel he was sheltered through much of the season. I'd spoken about that in relation to his Corsi and zone start stats in the Arnott rumour thread:

His points dropped off in the second half, and more again in the playoffs, but he might have been used a little more defensively later on as his faceoff % actually improved. He definitely played less in the second half (about 4mins less per game) in an effort to keep him fresh, so that's a factor we'd have to consider.

[attachment=8624:Arnott20112012.jpg]
Source: NHL.com

He could be useful as a 3rd/4th line center, perhaps also with PP time on the 2nd unit. Giving him more than 15 or so minutes a game probably won't be good for him as the season wears on, and we likely wouldn't use him against tougher competition.

If you consider that, and as a potential 3rd line with Hansen and Higgins who normally would face our tougher competition, it would be a bit of an adjustment to make him fit, but it could be a pretty decent one if we find a way to make it work.

I would like to look elsewhere first but if those options don't become available soon I guess signing him would be the thing to do, worst case scenerio he can't produce there and he gets dropped to the 4th or waived and either Lappy, Manny, Schroeder (possibly) or someone else if we pick them up could move up to that 3rd line spot.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 06 August 2012 - 04:12 AM.

zackass.png

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.