The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Prospects Rankings from Dave Gagner (Director of Player Development)

vancouvercanucks#1

Rankings from the guy who should know is great and all but the fact remains that under Gillis the Canucks have been consistent in their preference to acquire experienced players, including depth personal, rather than promote from within. More telling about the the true state of your prospects than any fluff rankings.

I see Sauve's NHL potential continues to be revised and not in a good way (now may be a depth D man).

Rodin, I'm pretty sure, was drafted at least 2 years earlier than stated, meaning, as a smallish forward with offensive pretensions, much like Schroeder, he's well into that phase of his pro career when its sink or swim. I hope he's truly past his injuries and wish him well.

Corrado is a bright spot. Gillis can't stop gushing about him and I remember being impressed when I watched him live in camp practices last year. Smooth agile skater for a D with good awareness. Someone once described him as Tanev with an NHL slap shot. If true that's very high praise for 2011 5th rounder.

Great article, thanks for posting. This gets me excited about our prospect pool ... I guess. :towel:

Really interested to see Rodin, I hear things about him but I've never actually seen him play.

Conauton is interesting. He must be slow or he would have been brought up already. He has got to be able to hit the net better than Edler though, is there anyone worse at hitting the net?

I believe that Corrado will turn into to a very useable NHL asset.

Very happy about Jensen and I really liike Gaunce as well.

Aside from Gradin I don't know about our scouts. Gillis may have a problem here being that he is a transplanted agent. Maybe he doens't have the insight to hire someone better than himself?

I think it's high time we traded for a top 10 pick again. You need these picks in order to properly sustain a team. MG had one chance and he drafted Hodgson, loved the kid but I like Kassian better. Could be way more effective in the long run. Looks like Cody never played in traffic as a kid. I'd like to see what MG would do with an 8/9 pick.

I would like to trade Tanev because he is not strong enough or tough enough.

I also think his potential is over-rated and that his performance now equates to good value in a trade.

Ballard, while not as tall, is built like a brick snit-house and has a nasty streak as well.

I think Ballard will show his true value this year and perform very well for us.

As some funny guy said on this forum: "give Keith a chance".

I want the team to get tougher and therefore want to get rid of those lightweights we can do without and to get the most for them in trades.

If Raymond comes back and does well, I hope he lights it up and we can trade him for good value.

There is almost no point making the playoffs and having all these little guys turtle and/or get hurt.

Tanev is probably one of our best dmen positionally, making the first pass out of the zone, under pressure etc. In fact I feel more comfortable with him carrying the puck out under pressure than Bieksa, he just doesn't f up.

You don't like him because he's not physical? Well thats not his game and never will be. However he is 22 (young), made the team when people thought he had no business being in the nhl and stuck for 44 games, and saw playoff action, and within that, played like a stud.

Lidstrom is not physical (and not comparing talent levels, but suggesting that you don't need to be physical to be an effective defenseman). Rafalski was smaller. As long as he continues to develop his shot he will be an important part of this team for a long time.

You realize having a calm, effective defensive 22 yr old dman in the NHL is a rarity right? I actually think he should be tried on the point on the pp due to his passing ability and his calmness.

Tanev is going to be a 3/4 guy on this team for a long time. Wait and see. You are completely underrating his abilities.

I think Gagner's assessment is more focused on where the players are at now vs. future potential thus the negative bias toward recently picked players.

I would really like to see Lack get a good shot next year. Maybe sign a guy a has been goalie who has played a lot of NHL games but did nothing last year and is on the brink of being an AHLer. We might be able to sign one of these guys due to the shot of winning a back-up role against a rookie Lack. A veteran guy would also help bring along Cannata in the AHL: Brian Boucher, Marty Turco, Dan Ellis, Andrew Raycroft, Alex Auld, Jason Labarbera all failed to put up more than 3 wins in the NHL last season and bring a lot of experience.

Out of the AHL we have Dany Sabourin, Michael Leighton, Manny Legace, David Aebischer. Even a guy like Cristobal Huet might be a decent fit.

Tanev is probably one of our best dmen positionally, making the first pass out of the zone, under pressure etc. In fact I feel more comfortable with him carrying the puck out under pressure than Bieksa, he just doesn't f up.

You don't like him because he's not physical? Well thats not his game and never will be. However he is 22 (young), made the team when people thought he had no business being in the  nhl and stuck for 44 games, and saw playoff action, and within that, played like a stud.

Lidstrom is not physical (and not comparing talent levels, but suggesting that you don't need to be physical to be an effective defenseman). Rafalski was smaller. As long as he continues to develop his shot he will be an important part of this team for a long time.

You realize having a calm, effective defensive 22 yr old dman in the NHL is a rarity right? I actually think he should be tried on the point on the pp due to his passing ability and his calmness.

Tanev is going to be a 3/4 guy on this team for a long time. Wait and see. You are completely underrating his abilities.

Jensen is going to be a high end player....size, skill and doesn't mind going to the tough areas.

Lack.....is going too be in the NHL as a regular very soon.

Connaughton....big shot but has to work on his defence.

Schroeder...skill but not sold on him because of his size.

Rodin.....haven't seen enough of him to make a call.

Sauve....big guy that has to play a gritty stay at home style if he wants to pay in the NHL.

Gaunce....too early but love his size.

Drafting where we did, not a bad crop of prospects.

I think Sauve was given short shrift in this article (and generally overall). In his 5 games up here he did good work... a little shakey, but had a couple nice plays defensively. If he's to succeed in the NHL he'll need to follow a Willie Mitchell type path.

Archived