The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Prospects Rankings from Dave Gagner (Director of Player Development)

vancouvercanucks#1

Shultz sucks, he will fizzle in Edmonton. You guys can't believe all the spoonsfuls of crap people are spreading. At the end of the day the last guy like that was Bozak, he sucks. Tanev is good because he's in a great system. If he would have been in Edmonton he'd have retired already.

These unsigned college kids suck. It's a desperate move by GM's to manufacture someting out of nothing. Shultz is not that good and I'm actually glad we didn't get him.

Tired of hearing the Canucks have a terribly weak prospect pool. A lot of promising young players and very few spots to compete for - when you factor in the potential addition of another young player or two via Luongo, the pool looks plenty deep enough - and there are guys with NHL potential who didn't even make that top 10.

Also pleased to hear Gagner's assessment of Lack. "NHL ready." I want to see him have a shot as the backup and like the idea of he and Schneider being the two young guns - serious character in those young goaltenders.

thanks op.

Tired of hearing the Canucks have a terribly weak prospect pool. A lot of promising young players and very few spots to compete for - when you factor in the potential addition of another young player or two via Luongo, the pool looks plenty deep enough - and there are guys with NHL potential who didn't even make that top 10.

Also pleased to hear Gagner's assessment of Lack. "NHL ready." I want to see him have a shot as the backup and like the idea of he and Schneider being the two young guns - serious character in those young goaltenders.

thanks op.

It's good to see they have such confidence in Connauton which bodes well for his chance to play with the team sooner than later and I'm not surprised about Rodin at all. He's the player I think is due for the biggest breakout as he really is an exceptionally skilled player with great skating. You can't downplay the problem with his shoulder and how that has affected his play.

The other item of note for me was the comment about Gaunce and his skating. Detractors keep using that as a major negative to his chances, but there were already reviews from before the draft mentioning his skating was not nearly as bad as others had made it out to be. This is a good confirmation of that and I look to how he'll do in pre-season.

Not saying he'd make it with our need for a center with Kesler out, but how nice would it be for him to challenge right away and as Kesler's coming back , he's getting ready for the World Juniors and still gets to participate there.

Any update on McNally is great as well since we hear so little about him. How he's affected Harvard's PP and being a rookie of the year finalist adds to what appears to be a pretty positive future.

As people have mentioned, Sweatt is a notable not on this list. People are projecting him as more than he is however, where he's not as much of a top 6 player as a skilled 3rd liner. He and Raymond are more similar than people might think (positive comparison) although Raymond plays softer on his skates and has a little higher offensive potential. Both are solid defensive players with speed who do well on the breakout/counterattack.

Another comment from some of the posts about Suave (and McNally being ranked above him as a negative). Suave as projected as a two-way D after putting up decent offensive numbers in the Q. He has all the tools on the defensive side (size, strength, aggressiveness) but hasn't put together the passing, decision making and offence to rank him higher. The car accident has slowed his development, but not his offensive abilities or hockey sense. He doesn't have enough of either yet at the higher levels. He certainly appears capable as a 6/7 guy though, and McNally jumps ahead on his burgeoning offensive talents and smooth skills.

One of the things about the Connauton description that people are focusing on is his slapper. It is reasonably accurate, but he has an underrated wrist shot that has good power and is very dangerous. He does excel in the extra room a PP situation provides but has really improved his play 5 on 5 at both ends of the ice.

id like to know whats going on with Jeremy Price. Thought he was doing really well at Colgate

Archived