Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Breaking] - Wisconsin Sikh Temple Shooting; 7 dead.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
164 replies to this topic

#151 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

And I have no doubt someone will take up his cause after hearing him asking them to, and by seeing him put his thoughts into actions.

Racist hate monkey see, racist hate monkey do.

:picard:

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#152 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

Unfortunately, many times, such as the case with this incident at the temple, the person who is misguided or uneducated about the things that they don't seem to agree with, tend to stew in their own opinions, and sometimes have it inflamed by others who are equally misguided and under-educated about the people or practices they don't agree with, and that develops into hatred, and that hatred can and often does spill over into violence borne from their frustrations.

The best and effective method to preventing that, in my opinion, is exposure and education about things that one 'hate's' or doesn't agree with. It has to be a situation where people are willing to learn and be taught. If more people learned about the vast similarities they share, then the differences may not be enough to cause violence outbursts, even if one continues to disagree. Disagreement is fine....allowing it to turn into hatred and violence, obviously isn't.

A hater is someone who hates themselves or something about themselves and looks to blame others for that .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#153 Tokasmoka

Tokasmoka

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

Guns...get rid of them.

#154 Nucks fan555555

Nucks fan555555

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

Just came back from the candlelight vigil at the Surrey Guru nanak gurudwara. Must say that I was really happy to see how many people of different backgrounds came and joined in the prayer. Lots of politicians as well but none actually got stage time, but I was really happy that the gurudwara invited head preists from churches, and mandars so there were prayers from different religions. If people can always stay like this together as a group I think people could be much more educated and understanding of each other. I love that I live in a place where most people have some knowledge on the beliefs of others and aren't so ignorant.
Go Canucks Go

#155 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:54 PM

Just came back from the candlelight vigil at the Surrey Guru nanak gurudwara. Must say that I was really happy to see how many people of different backgrounds came and joined in the prayer. Lots of politicians as well but none actually got stage time, but I was really happy that the gurudwara invited head preists from churches, and mandars so there were prayers from different religions. If people can always stay like this together as a group I think people could be much more educated and understanding of each other. I love that I live in a place where most people have some knowledge on the beliefs of others and aren't so ignorant.

Thanks for sharing the info. Nice to hear that people of different backgrounds took this opportunity to get together.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#156 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

Wade Page Died Of Self-Inflicted Gunshot Wound In Sikh Temple Shooting: FBI

MILWAUKEE -- The FBI says the motive behind the shootings at a Sikh temple that left six worshippers dead remains unknown but authorities still haven't identified anyone other than the gunman as being responsible.

FBI Special Agent in Charge Teresa Carlson also told a Wednesday news conference that investigators determined gunman Wade Michael Page died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head after he was shot by police. Authorities previously said an officer had fired the fatal shot.

Carlson says federal officials had not opened any investigation into Page before Sunday's shooting. She says investigators are interviewing dozens of people who have known Page as they work to determine for a possible motive.

Makes him even more of a coward, if that was even possible.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 08 August 2012 - 10:21 AM.

#157 yete

yete

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

Guns...get rid of them.

really will that help the situation think for one second.....
gangs will still have guns people will find ways to get illegal guns and those ppl will be considered criminals so would you want that instead?
getting rid of guns is not the answer how get rid of the system that brainwashes you daily instead? hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

#158 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

really will that help the situation think for one second.....
gangs will still have guns people will find ways to get illegal guns and those ppl will be considered criminals so would you want that instead?
getting rid of guns is not the answer how get rid of the system that brainwashes you daily instead? hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

So you believe that law-abiding citizens will actively become criminals in order to get guns??

Are Canadians going out and getting assault rifles because there are laws banning them?

Talk about brainwashed.

#159 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 72,145 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

Sikh temple gunman's ex-girlfriend Misty Cook: focus on the "heroes":

(CBS/AP) - A woman claiming to be the ex-girlfriend of Sikh temple gunman Michael Wade Page wants to stay out of the media spotlight in the wake of Page's deadly weekend rampage, according to the Los Angeles Times.

The newspaper reported Wednesday that an e-mail sent by Misty Cook, who was held Wednesday morning on an unrelated weapons charge, said she hoped "heroes" of the tragedy that left six worshippers at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin dead would get the most attention.

"For my part, I hope the majority of focus will be on celebrating the lives of the heroes in this situation. I find the good work that Satwant Singh [Kaleka] did for his people and his heroic last act are far more newsworthy than anything I could say," Cook, a 31-year-old nursing student, reportedly wrote.

South Milwaukee Police said Tuesday that Cook had been arrested in suspicion of being a felon in possession of a firearm. FBI special agent Teresa Carlson said she was arrested after police officers saw she had a weapon in her home during an interview for the Page investigation, but the charges are completely separate from the Sikh temple slayings.

Cook also goes by the first name Brenda, an FBI spokesman said. Online court records show Brenda Cook pleaded no contest in 2005 to a felony charge of fleeing an officer.

Page, who investigators say died from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound on scene of Sunday's shooting, was a 40-year-old discharged Army veteran who played in a white power band and had ties to white supremacist groups.

He was demoted during a stint in the Army for getting drunk on duty and going AWOL before he was discharged in 1998. Page later moved to Wisconsin to live in South Milwaukee with Cook.

http://www.cbsnews.c...hes-to-lay-low/

307mg00.jpg

#160 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,648 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

DUH

QFT
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#161 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:16 PM

[/size][/font]

Makes him even more of a coward, if that was even possible.

I sure hope the "conspiracy group" doesn't get ahold of that news (that he killed himself.) you just KNOW that'll be the 100% proof that it was the government that actually did it according to them

#162 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

So you believe that law-abiding citizens will actively become criminals in order to get guns??

Are Canadians going out and getting assault rifles because there are laws banning them?

Talk about brainwashed.

on the flip side... do you believe that "nut cases" will avoid breaking the law in order to get another type of weapon... to break the law?

#163 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:14 PM

on the flip side... do you believe that "nut cases" will avoid breaking the law in order to get another type of weapon... to break the law?

Nope.

Although reducing the amount of overall 'nut cases' who could get access to semi-automatic weaponry and then break the law by killing innocent people, is a no-brainer to me.

#164 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:54 PM

Oak Creek police chief, John Edwards:

"In 28 years of law enforcement, I have seen a lot of hate. I have seen a lot of revenge. I've seen a lot of anger. What I saw, particularly from the Sikh community this week was compassion, concern, support," he told the vigil standing in front a row of people holding signs that spelled out: practice peace. "What I didn't see was hate. I did not see revenge. I didn't see any of that. And in law enforcement that's unusual to not see that reaction to something like this. I want you all to understand how unique that is."

Edited by The Sedin's 6th Sense, 09 August 2012 - 09:55 PM.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#165 Nucks fan555555

Nucks fan555555

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:11 PM

Oak Creek police chief, John Edwards:

Its great that people are seeing how the sikh religion stresses being peaceful and loving people..I don't really want to say this and I shouldn't, but as a result of this accident sikhs have gotten a lot of media time and people (especially in the states) have learned more about sikhs in the past week than ever before. I think because of this shooting at least when someone might see a kid with a turban in the mall they would be able to distinguish him as a sikh and know a little about him. Its true that sikhs have done a terrible job of educating society and people from different backgrounds about who they are, but at least being on CNN everyday and having compliments about the way you conduct yourself brings a positive message on who you are.
Go Canucks Go

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.