The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Breaking] - Wisconsin Sikh Temple Shooting; 7 dead.

Sharpshooter

I am sick of hate crimes! They should make it illegal to even utter phrases of hate or racist comments. We need to get these people out of out world.

I have no problem with people who don't agree with some of the traditions of certain religions, gay marriage or different lifestyles. Hell I don't even care if they publicly express their opinion. What needs to stop is the hatred weather violent or not! :(

I am sick of hate crimes! They should make it illegal to even utter phrases of hate or racist comments. We need to get these people out of out world.

I have no problem with people who don't agree with some of the traditions of certain religions, gay marriage or different lifestyles. Hell I don't even care if they publicly express their opinion. What needs to stop is the hatred weather violent or not! :(

I'm lucky enough to have grown in a part of the world and at a time where racism was minimal at most. Most people in the Lower Mainland are educated enough to accept people of all colours and backgrounds. When I did face racism I noticed that the individuals would resort to calling me names like Hindu or Paki. I am not a Hindu and I , nor anyone in my family, is from Pakistan. What I gathered from it was that a lot of people just don't know who Sikhs are and where we come from and what we stand for. It is just a lot of ignorance.

I can't thoroughly describe how short sighted and dangerous this kind of thinking is...

Firstly, everyone has the right to be stupid and have beliefs you find reprehensible. I find your beliefs here ridiculous but at no point would I stoop to have it outlawed, as not allowing it is completely against the Canadian Charter and Canadian way of thinking in expression, belief, and conscience.

Secondly, racism, bigotry, prejudice, and extremism will never be out of the world, unfortunately bigotry is part of human nature, and human nature doesn't care about laws. From what it looks like, to maintain a free society we've gone about as far as we can go, publicly identifying, assailing, and influencing others.. outside of that, you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

This is a not-so-atypical way of overreacting, this person did something that was illegal already which is killing people and denying them of all their rights.

Incorrect.

Section 1 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms explicitly restricts the freedoms of conscience and religion, and freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media, by making them subject "only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society."

Expression of 'hate' or hate propaganda is one such 'freedom' that is restricted by law in Canada.

Strange how the thousands upon thousands of people who call neighbouring city Brampton "brown town" aren't thrown into jail citing section 1.. obviously there are limitations even upon what "hate speech" is, which is limited to things like inciting a riot rather than bestowal of government as a parent of language that this person (and obviously you) advocates.

And as far as the US is concerned too, since this is where the event took place, also a stretch.

Strange how the thousands upon thousands of people who call neighbouring city Brampton "brown town" aren't thrown into jail citing section 1.. obviously there are limitations even upon what "hate speech" is, which is limited to things like inciting a riot rather than bestowal of government as a parent of language that this person (and obviously you) advocates.

And as far as the US is concerned too, since this is where the event took place, also a stretch.

I guess this guy despises 'Brown people'.

No, it's an example of how hyperbolic the concept of "hate speech" can be, which is why section 1's reach is extremely limited.. too bad Sharpshooter went in the opposite direction without any logical reason to.

The gunman who killed six people inside a Sikh temple in Wisconsin and was killed in a police shootout was identified as 40-year-old army veteran Wade Michael Page, officials said on Aug. 6, 2012.

A civil rights group identified him as a "frustrated neo-Nazi" who led a white supremacist music group.

012-wadempage.jpg

021-wadempage_1.jpg

Wade-Page-and-Definite-Hate-at-2011-Hammerskins-St-Paddys-Day-concert_1_540x405.jpg

Wade-Page-at-Hammerskin-concert-21_1.jpg

022-wadempage_1_540x405.jpg

024-wadempage_1_540x405.jpg

Wade-Page-at-hammerskin-concert-31_1_540x405.jpg

Ambushed Cop, Shot 9 Times, Refused Aid and Ordered Officers to Help Victims

Oak Creek Police Lt. Brian Murphy was the first officer to the scene and was ambushed and shot up to nine times while attempting to help an injured victim. When support arrived, he refused help and ordered officers to go into the temple and help others.

28721f4ecd0bde754187d3ce43f6eb79.jpg

Just more than 24 hours after the tragic mass shooting at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin in Oak Creek, stories of heroes are emerging as details from the incident are revealed.

When an unintelligible call came into the Oak Creek Police Department from a person inside the temple, 21-year department veteran Lt. Brian Murphy entered his squad and was first to the horrific scene just four minutes later.

Murphy immediately came upon a wounded victim in the parking lot of the temple, and rushed to assist the person. At that moment, Murphy found himself in a situation most officers will only have to prepare for in their careers.

While he was helping the victim, the 51-year-old officer was ambushed by the shooter — now identified as Wade Michael Page — and was fired upon at close range while Murphy attempted to disarm him. Murphy was struck eight or nine times by bullets delivered from Wade’s 9mm, semi-automatic handgun.

Oak Creek Police Chief John Edwards said bullets struck Murphy’s extremities and he was also shot in the neck.

When other officers arrived Murphy — wounded and bleeding in the parking lot — refused help from his fellow officers and instead directed them to help the victims inside the temple, Edwards said.

The officers, armed with tactical rifles, refused to leave a fellow officer behind and brought Murphy to safety before shooting and killing Page outside the temple.

“Clearly heroic,” said Greenfield Police Chief Brad Wentlandt, who served as the public information coordinator from the scene of the shooting Sunday. “The act of when you’re shot, waving officers away from you and telling them to go inside and help other people, he’s a hero.”

As of Monday, Murphy is still in critical condition after undergoing life-saving surgery at Froedtert Hospital. He is resting with family at his side. Understandably, Murphy's family declined to receive questions from the media, but released a statement during a press conference held at the hospital Monday afternoon.

“We are grateful for so many who addressed Brian’s needs at the scene and continue to do so at the hospital," Murphy's family said in a statement. "As we stand by Brian and pray for his recovery, we extend condolences to the families who lost loved ones."

Murphy’s act of heroism has already received recognition from the Sikh Human Rights Group, which has pledged a $10,000 award to the officer. Although courageous, United States Attorney James Santelle said Murphy’s act of valor is not unusual for the men and women dedicated to protecting the innocent.

“Know that that kind of dedicated law enforcement is not atypical…this is what we expect from law enforcement in this country, and that’s what this nation gets,” Santelle said.

Murphy has been an Oak Creek Police Department tactical team leader for years. In 2010, he was one of three candidates — along with Edwards — for the position of police chief.

Murphy grew up in New York and joined the Army military police, and served at the United Nations.

Oak Creek resident Michael Williams described Murphy as a brave man who is extremely loyal to friends and family.

"He was a very dedicated officer and family man. Me and my family have spent many days with his family," Williams said via the Oak Creek Patch Facebook page. "There is so much more great things about this great brave man, and doesn't surprise me that he put the other victims in front of himself."

A Facebook page to honor Murphy's selfless act has been set up for others to share their thoughts about his heroism on Sunday. Here's a look at what people are saying about Murphy on social media outlets.

Milwaukee County Executive Chris Abele asking the community to keep Murphy in everyone's thoughts and prayers as he travels the road to recovery.

“I continue to keep Oak Creek Police Lt. Brian Murphy and other victims still at the hospital in my thoughts, as well as members of the Sikh community during this time," Abele said. "We encourage everyone to show their solidarity with the Sikh community. As we continue to learn the details of the investigation, I would like to also thank the First Responders for their life saving actions."

http://oakcreek.patc...#photo-10921297

tumblr_lxels9BoVU1qff8too3_500.gif

Ambushed Cop, Shot 9 Times, Refused Aid and Ordered Officers to Help Victims

Oak Creek Police Lt. Brian Murphy was the first officer to the scene and was ambushed and shot up to nine times while attempting to help an injured victim. When support arrived, he refused help and ordered officers to go into the temple and help others.

28721f4ecd0bde754187d3ce43f6eb79.jpg

Just more than 24 hours after the tragic mass shooting at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin in Oak Creek, stories of heroes are emerging as details from the incident are revealed.

When an unintelligible call came into the Oak Creek Police Department from a person inside the temple, 21-year department veteran Lt. Brian Murphy entered his squad and was first to the horrific scene just four minutes later.

Murphy immediately came upon a wounded victim in the parking lot of the temple, and rushed to assist the person. At that moment, Murphy found himself in a situation most officers will only have to prepare for in their careers.

While he was helping the victim, the 51-year-old officer was ambushed by the shooter — now identified as Wade Michael Page — and was fired upon at close range while Murphy attempted to disarm him. Murphy was struck eight or nine times by bullets delivered from Wade’s 9mm, semi-automatic handgun.

Oak Creek Police Chief John Edwards said bullets struck Murphy’s extremities and he was also shot in the neck.

When other officers arrived Murphy — wounded and bleeding in the parking lot — refused help from his fellow officers and instead directed them to help the victims inside the temple, Edwards said.

The officers, armed with tactical rifles, refused to leave a fellow officer behind and brought Murphy to safety before shooting and killing Page outside the temple.

“Clearly heroic,” said Greenfield Police Chief Brad Wentlandt, who served as the public information coordinator from the scene of the shooting Sunday. “The act of when you’re shot, waving officers away from you and telling them to go inside and help other people, he’s a hero.”

As of Monday, Murphy is still in critical condition after undergoing life-saving surgery at Froedtert Hospital. He is resting with family at his side. Understandably, Murphy's family declined to receive questions from the media, but released a statement during a press conference held at the hospital Monday afternoon.

“We are grateful for so many who addressed Brian’s needs at the scene and continue to do so at the hospital," Murphy's family said in a statement. "As we stand by Brian and pray for his recovery, we extend condolences to the families who lost loved ones."

Murphy’s act of heroism has already received recognition from the Sikh Human Rights Group, which has pledged a $10,000 award to the officer. Although courageous, United States Attorney James Santelle said Murphy’s act of valor is not unusual for the men and women dedicated to protecting the innocent.

“Know that that kind of dedicated law enforcement is not atypical…this is what we expect from law enforcement in this country, and that’s what this nation gets,” Santelle said.

Murphy has been an Oak Creek Police Department tactical team leader for years. In 2010, he was one of three candidates — along with Edwards — for the position of police chief.

Murphy grew up in New York and joined the Army military police, and served at the United Nations.

Oak Creek resident Michael Williams described Murphy as a brave man who is extremely loyal to friends and family.

"He was a very dedicated officer and family man. Me and my family have spent many days with his family," Williams said via the Oak Creek Patch Facebook page. "There is so much more great things about this great brave man, and doesn't surprise me that he put the other victims in front of himself."

A Facebook page to honor Murphy's selfless act has been set up for others to share their thoughts about his heroism on Sunday. Here's a look at what people are saying about Murphy on social media outlets.

Milwaukee County Executive Chris Abele asking the community to keep Murphy in everyone's thoughts and prayers as he travels the road to recovery.

“I continue to keep Oak Creek Police Lt. Brian Murphy and other victims still at the hospital in my thoughts, as well as members of the Sikh community during this time," Abele said. "We encourage everyone to show their solidarity with the Sikh community. As we continue to learn the details of the investigation, I would like to also thank the First Responders for their life saving actions."

http://oakcreek.patc...#photo-10921297

tumblr_lxels9BoVU1qff8too3_500.gif

Wisconsin Shooting: Satwant Singh tried to take down gunman

satwant_kaleka_0806.jpg

Oak Creek, Wisconsin (CNN) -- Amardeep Kaleka was not surprised his father tried to stop a gunman at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin.

"It's an amazing act of heroism, but it's also exactly who he was," Amardeep said of Satwant Singh Kaleka, 65, one of six community members killed Sunday. "There was no way in God's green Earth that he would allow somebody to come in and do that without trying his best to stop it."

The six killed in Sunday's attack were identified by police as five men -- Kaleka, president of the temple in Oak Creek; Sita Singh, 41; Ranjit Singh, 49; Prakash Singh, 39, and Suveg Singh, 84 -- and one woman, 41-year-old Paramjit Kaur.

Prakash Singh was a priest who recently immigrated to the United States with his wife and two young children, said Justice Singh Khalsa, a temple member since the 1990s.

Amardeep Kaleka told CNN Milwaukee affiliate WTMJ on Monday morning that the FBI told him his father attacked the shooter in the lobby, resulting in a "blood struggle." A knife close to the victim's body showed blood on it, he said.

"From what we understand, he basically fought to the very end and suffered gunshot wounds while trying to take down the gunman," said Kanwardeep Singh Kaleka, Satwant's nephew.

Satwant Kaleka's wife hid in a closet with several other women, telling them to remain quiet during the horrific incident.

"My father did his best to protect the temple, but also my family and his wife and all his friends and people that were there," Amardeep Kaleka told WTMJ. "He slowed the shooter enough so other people could get to safety."

Suveg Singh spent every day at the temple, said his granddaughter, Sandeep Khattra.

"He is always there and he's with the community and anybody who is willing to listen," said Khattra. "He educated them about our religion."

The victim's family told CNN they will return to their temple. His son, Baljander Singh Khattra, said Suveg Singh was friendly and a "very strong person.

"President Barack Obama signed a proclamation honoring the victims, ordering that U.S. flags be flown at half-staff at federal facilities and buildings.

Vigils were planned in the area on Monday and Tuesday nights.

Navdeep Singh, a policy adviser to the Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund, says Sikhs believe in freedom of religion, community service and inclusiveness. At temples, or gurdwaras, where Sikhs hold services, everyone is welcome.

"You can come and be equal," he says.

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t1

Applause.gif

When I read about the above heroes it helps a lot. I'm reminded that everyday people only need the opportunity to do remarkable things. I wish more of the attention was focused on them and not the perpetrators. How about we set a precedent for potential copycat heroes and not copycat villains.

Archived