The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are you happy with the Jason Garrison signing?

268 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Top paid D man on the team with one good year of offensive NHL numbers to his name.

One season.

Problem is that when you play with a Brian Campbell your offensive numbers are exaggerated and even Edler is no Campbell.

He has to be solid defensively for this to work out well and by what we are told he is able and more than willing.

Big payday and long term.It is going to be interesting.

I don't know how anyone can say.

We don't know who he will partner.........we assume it will be Edler but AV may have other ideas or Edler may be traded. He will take time to settle in in any case.

My only reservation is how much pushback he has. We badly needed someone on the 2nd line to protect our goalie (at the very least) and I'm not sure JG is that type of player. I realise he is tough and is supposed to be a big hitter but this team needed more than that and we will get little help in that area from Edler, Hamhuis or Tanev as has been proved already. Ballard is ballsy but on the small side and Bieksa remains still the only real pushback we have and he's a middleweight.

If I had to put money on it I'd say we will be bullied again come the playoffs. Weber was not the target just because he was a great player, it was because he stood for no nonsense.

Once again we lose focus.

I agree with Bodee on many points.Ballard fought four times in 47 games played,Bieksa fought four times in 78 gp.

Edler-0.Hamhuis-0.Tanev-0. Alberts fought 3 times in his miniscule playing time in 44 gp.

Garrison -0 fights last year. In fact,he had one fight in his junior career,one fight in his AHL career, and has had one NHL fight.

He is a positional d man.Think bigger Hamhuis without Dan's excellent skill set.

Ballard and Alberts are the D men that statistically stand up for their mates over all Canuck D men.

The two biggest knocks against Jason Garrison are his physical game and lack of track record. Despite his size he isn't an overly physical player. When taking stock of the free agent market for defensemen a few weeks ago I compared Garrison to a younger Sheldon Souray. The difference between the two is that Garrison is a better skater while Souray is much more physical.

The lack of a high end physical game isn't necessarily a bad thing for Garrison. He's known to be very positionally sound. His game also keeps him out of the penalty box. In 2012 Garrison took 13 penalties at even strength...

In 190 career NHL games Garrison has 23 goals. Nine of those came on the powerplay just last season. That's a pretty high ratio of powerplay to even strength goals. At even strength he scored at a similar rate in 2012 as he did in 2011 which is a reason to have some pause when considering Garrison as an acquisition especially when you also consider his relatively short track record.

The track record concerns are valid.

Last year with the Panthers he routinely saw the top competition of the opposition, but instead of starting out in his own end the Panthers deployed he and his partner Brian Campbell in the offensive zone 53% of the time.

The concerns about Garrison's season being a fluke have some validity too. The nine powerplay goals and 9% shooting percentage are likely to drop in tandem going forward. The goal total might not drop much though. In 2012 Garrison saw a significant increase in powerplay time. He went from seeing 1:33 a night with the extra man to 2:31....

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2012/6/26/3115785/2012-NHL-free-agency-jason-garrison-dallas-stars-july-defenseman

Guys got a bomb of a shot.

Not worried about his point totals.

Stick him on the PP with the Sedins, he'll put up points.

He probably won't get the same number of goals, which is totally fine.

I'm satisfied with this signing.

Sure, there is a risk with offering so much to a guy with such a short track record.

He probably coulda fetched more on the market.

IMO it would have been a far greater risk, not acquiring a RH D-man to play in the top-4.

I'll bet that Garrison leads the Canucks defense in goals, points, and power play points this season. That's not a knock of the other defensemen, Hamhuis and Bieksa will play more of a shut down role.

Gillis needs to sign Edler ASAP to lock up this top four for a few years. Gillis would have a lot of cap space committed to defense, but that's what wins championships.

I'll bet that Garrison leads the Canucks defense in goals, points, and power play points this season. That's not a knock of the other defensemen, Hamhuis and Bieksa will play more of a shut down role.

Gillis needs to sign Edler ASAP to lock up this top four for a few years. Gillis would have a lot of cap space committed to defense, but that's what wins championships.

Hey guys,

So everyone knows that the Jason Garrison signing has been by far the largest off season transaction for the Canucks thus far this summer. I personally love the signing, and not only am I looking forwards to seeing him on the ice, he also seems like a great character player, whose happy to be playing for his home team.

I have some friends though that disagree with me, I can see where they come from. Garrison has less than 200 NHL games played, and he just landed a 6 year contract worth almost $30 million, after only one really offensively fruitful season, scoring 16 goals (3rd in NHL behind only Karlsson, and Weber) and 17 assists for 33 points.

But he's also just breaking into the league, entering just his fourth NHL season, and third full one

2009–10 Florida Panthers NHL 39 2 6 8 23 — — — — — 2010–11 Florida Panthers NHL 73 5 13 18 26 — — — — — 2011–12 Florida Panthers NHL 77 16 17 33 32 4 1 2 3 0 NHL totals 190 23 36 59 81 4 1 2 3 0

GP G A PTS PIM PO sts

As you can see hes constantly improving, and since he's only 27 he's probably gonna be putting up even better numbers in the future.

Both sides arguments have some solid points, what do you think?

P.S.- If this topic has already been made I apologize, I been away for a while, and couldnt find anything in a search.

[edit]

Archived