The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Boston Globe's Dupont on the Canucks

Since its the dog days of summer and hockey news is hard to come by, I hought I would post this, Boston Globe hockey writer Kevin Dupont sharing his views on recent Canucks news.

http://bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/08/04/sunhoc/rNnYsEacctQHjeUQz5JFLJ/story.html

Not yet a Doan deal

Coyotes star Shane Doan remains an unrestricted free agent, with the Canucks last week the latest to try to woo the 35-year-old right winger to their camp. They’ve also put out feelers to aging pivot Jason Arnott, who worked for $2.875 million last season in St. Louis. Doan is believed to be looking for upward of $30 million over four years, too high for most clubs, especially the Canucks with their “Sedin’’ ceiling of $6.1 million. That’s a little deceiving, because Henrik and Daniel Sedin play as one, so it’s really one player stuffed in two suits for $12.2 million. Look for someone to fork over the $30 million to Doan, but with the payout spread over six seasons (example: $8 million, $8m, $7m, $3m, $2m, $2m). In that kind of model, he would pocket $26 million over four years (right in line with Sedin average dough), and then decide if he wants to work the last two years for a total of $4 million — less than 14 percent of the deal’s total worth.

mods?

If you see a post or thread violating the rules, please use the Report Post function, and let the moderators deal with it. Note that reporting a post does not give you the right to break rules in retaliation. Please do not post that you have reported someone else, as that will likely make the situation worse and could be considered trolling.

Do not be a mini-mod. Telling other users to stop trolling, flaming or baiting will probably not make the situation better. Spamming the rules and telling people you have reported them will be considered trolling. Report the post and leave the rest to the moderation team.

/forum-24/announcement-16-new-board-rules-please-read/">http://forum.canucks.com/forum-24/announcement-16-new-board-rules-please-read/

Anyways, I'm fine with this thread staying open since the article covers multiple players and doesn't fit into any one thread.

Why do you call for the mods when someone posts an article? get a life...

Now for the article at hand, the writer is clearly an idiot. The contract would be a 35+ contract and they would not add "extra" years to it to reduce the salary cap because it would be stuck on the books after doan retires. The suggested 30 million over 4 years is bull, it has been reiterated by idiots across the land and has ultimately been refuted by doans agent multiple times.

LOL @ mini mod :lol:

Why do you call for the mods when someone posts an article? get a life...

Now for the article at hand, the writer is clearly an idiot. The contract would be a 35+ contract and they would not add "extra" years to it to reduce the salary cap because it would be stuck on the books after doan retires. The suggested 30 million over 4 years is bull, it has been reiterated by idiots across the land and has ultimately been refuted by doans agent multiple times.

I dont think the Canucks will be offering Doan more than $30 mil....

i think we should give him a 4 year $24 M deal and put the ball in his court (he either takes less to come to VAN or more somewhere else)

We shouldn't overpay for Doan. I know he is a great power forward who could help us win now, but we have Kassian coming, Higgins fits well on the 2nd line (or the AMEX line if you prefer), and Raymond has a tinyer than tinyest tiny chance of having a bounce back year.

As for Arnott, I think he is a great fit at a cheap price and we should go out and get him signed for a year.... 1 yr, $2 M at most

Archived