The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hear Me Out

Drew1

Cory has been develped properly. Is there a chance he could fail? Og course the is a chance, nothing is for certain but since we so fondly want the Nucks to properly develope players shouldn't we have a positive vibe towards them? not constantly just picking out the what if failures. Believe in the system, because if you dont then why follow it and have one?

Just a warning to you fans who think Schneider will somehow play better than one of the league's top-10 All Time and win us a cup within the next 2 seasons:

In every game Schneider has played so far, he has been groomed and sheltered. Yes, he played 30 last season but they were spot starts after days of rest, and only played more than 7 games in a row once after which fatigue got the better of him and he was blown out of the water against (at the time) the worst offence in the NHL in Nashville, then Columbus.

No one knows how Schneider will deal with playing long stretches of games, which is why he's a big gamble. Now I'm not saying he'll falter, but I'm just saying that the probability of him having a remarkable season and playing consistently well throughout 50-60 games and THEN sparkling in the playoffs as well is VERY UNLIKELY. No goalie except for Brodeur and Roy have won a Cup after being in the same situation as Schneider (becoming a starter after minimal experience) so the chances of the Canucks winning a Cup is essentially the same chance as Schneider becoming a top-3 NHL goaltender All-time.

I prefer sticking with Luongo, where the probability of him churning out another 30-win, successful season is VERY HIGH and then the probability of him delivering once again in big playoff games is just as high.

At the end of the day its the management who need to take a step back and make decisions based on what gives the Canucks the best chance, or probability, to win the Cup because no one can see the future, and I employ fans to do the same. Luongo is far from finished and still gives us that safety net, almost guaranteed success. Schneider on the otherhand has much less chance of doing so because so much more could go wrong with Schneider.

The Canucks Boston series was the most watched program ever on CBC ever! and after the game was over people were like wow I wish these teams played like 4 times a year and they were like rarely does a game live up to the hype , man no even 5 mins in and the boxes were full , that game was HUGE! even after the game bieksa and other guys were jacked and fired up , there was so much on the line thats why it was so intense , both teams were the best in the league at the time of that game and there was a good chance at the time we would meet in the SCF , really good chance but you know things change exc but yeah , it was a huge game , anyone who watched got fired up anybody

And are you going to tell us that Cory didn't learn from that experience of playing more then two games in a row or long stretch of games. How do you know he didn't learn from this? How do you know he isn't working on his stamina knowing he could be the Number one starter? You don't think that goaltenders like Roy ,Broduer ,Fuhr,Ward ,Fluery,Dryden,etc didn't learn anything after their rookie season?

How many times your going to keep the same argument Down Unda if Montreal and N.j had your way of thinking,They may not have won those Cups!Actually Broduer never won a cup in his first year but he did take him to the Conference finals. Like some other Goaltender ...Whats his name from Washington!!! Ohh Braden Holtby. How much experience did he have going into the playoffs DownUnda? If you were a Gm of Montreal would you have started Patrick Roy just by his JR record the year before when he had a G.A.A OF 5.55 as your starting playoff goaltender.?How about putting your faith on an 18 year kid name Grant Fuhr as your starting Goaltender like the Oilers did in the early 80's When Edmonton had another young Goaltender with more expereince in Andy Moog. The same Andy Moog the year before as a rookie That eliminated Mighty Montreal in a schocking playoff sweep . You keep the same argument about experience, But if you were a fan for those teams would you still be making the same argument? So if that were true then Florida should have never made Loungo their starter when he came into the league ? He should have started in the Minors like every other Goaltending prospect.

I can make the same argument like you about Loungo!! How much experience did Roberto have when Vancouver traded for his service as a 26 year old Goaltender who never played in a hockey mad city? How would he handle that pressure!! Or never played on a proffesional team that finished above .500 with no Stanley cup playoff experience until he got here. But management put their faith on him. So you telling us that is a Guarentee that Loungo will have many year lelt in him. Hey nothing is Guarentee like you said about Cory ,but how do you know that same faith won't happen to Roberto like Kirk McLean instead of Marty Brodeur?

Clutch playoff goaltending from Roberto? I like Roberto but c'mon. You mean like the first playoff series against Chicago. When his team have given him the lead on more then one occasion and he couldn't hold the fort for 7 goals? Or the Following year when he led in 6 goals and afterwards he tells the media ..Well at least I didn't let in 7 goals. Or how about the great performance in the finals in the three games in Boston? Clutch to me is when you have goaltenders like Roy and Broduer who didn't get blown out the water when games were on the line. And don't give me that we had no offence. So what was N.J excuse of winning cups with little offense.

Difference is Cory was groomed slowly and properly. So when would you like Cory to become a starter?

So Roy and Broduer are the only goaltenders to win cups in the same situation as Cory? Really! Kenny Dryden doesn't ring a bell to you ? Yeah for a guy who ONLY PLAYED 6 REGULAR SEASON GAMES! How about Cam Ward!! Wasn't he a rookie that won a cup with Carolina?

Sorry But Patrick and Broduer were not in the same situation as Cory!!! Vancouver took the time to groom Schnieder when they drafted him unlike the other two when they put them into the fire. Number 2 They let Schnieder developed slowly ..Meaning they let him finish his last two years of College. Then they let him developed in the farm for three years. They brought him up for spot duty in that time. Then they let him learn from one of best in Luongo for the last two year.

How do you know that Cory won't give us the same Success as Loungo or Better if you don't give him a chance but play it safe? Don't you think that Montreal and NJ didn't take a gamble on Rookie Roy and Brodeur. Especially Roy!! You don't think going into the playoffs that there was no pressure for him playing in a hockey mad city in Montreal?

Two players that had little or no proffesional exerience but you think that Cory may not be ready after 8 years of watching him learn and developed his craft. The point of this argument is DownUnda is how do you know how Cory is going to do if you can't be bothered giving him a chance like Roy ,Broduer, and even Loungo to a certain extent were given?

I totally agree, it wasn't either of the goalies fault. Even with Kesler injured and Sedin being out the first few games there were guys who HUGELY underperformed : Higgins, Burrows, Hendrik, Booth, Hansen, etc., etc.,etc., just pathetic. Yes the Kings are great but the Nucks just didn't even try to step up.

Scoring in the playoffs have been their problem for years now, they can't just throw it all on Louie and Cory , didn't Lou get 2 shutouts in the finals against Boston. And when they don't play well the team has to step up and score goals....they don't !

I love how on this site no one ever gets on the Sedins for poor playoffs performances when things are on the line. Do they show up when the chips are down ? Boston series comes to mind ! No ! Their such good guys that no one ever wants to criticize them, but at some point you have to ask yourself if they can get it done when it's needed?

Management has to figure out what's up with these guys, do they have the intestinal fortitude to get it done or are they another Naslund who just cant seem to put the team on their back in the playoffs and bring a cup home? Windows closing fast boys, maybe only a year or two left?

Schneider is a machine when he plays, he tracks the puck and is square to it nom atter what. Short of a perfect shot, or a tip Schneider doesn't let anything in.

He has no demons of years before and it shows in his play.

I totally agree, it wasn't either of the goalies fault. Even with Kesler injured and Sedin being out the first few games there were guys who HUGELY underperformed : Higgins, Burrows, Hendrik, Booth, Hansen, etc., etc.,etc., just pathetic. Yes the Kings are great but the Nucks just didn't even try to step up.

Scoring in the playoffs have been their problem for years now, they can't just throw it all on Louie and Cory , didn't Lou get 2 shutouts in the finals against Boston. And when they don't play well the team has to step up and score goals....they don't !

I love how on this site no one ever gets on the Sedins for poor playoffs performances when things are on the line. Do they show up when the chips are down ? Boston series comes to mind ! No ! Their such good guys that no one ever wants to criticize them, but at some point you have to ask yourself if they can get it done when it's needed?

Management has to figure out what's up with these guys, do they have the intestinal fortitude to get it done or are they another Naslund who just cant seem to put the team on their back in the playoffs and bring a cup home? Windows closing fast boys, maybe only a year or two left?

Luongo? Top 10 all-time...Really? I'm not going to rehash all of his stats but I'm pretty sure that is not an accurate assessment. We do know that he has 2 Vezina noms (no wins), 1 Hart nom (no wins), 1 SCF appearance (no wins), 1 Jennings win (shared with Schneider). This is the extent of his NHL "accomplishments".

Hey guys , Here is a video I think you guys should watch , here is the link

Everyone is saying that Schneider has only played a handfull of games and that he is in trouble once he becomes a number 1 he will change , its true he has only played so many games but if you look at the playoffs , Cory played games 3,4,5 and the scores were 1-0 3-1 2-1 , if we would have scores two goals JUST TWO GOALS in games three and five, we would be up 3-2 on the eventual Stanley Cup Winners , and Schneider played amazing game 3 he stopped like 48 shots in game 4 and in game 5 he was close to a shutout, he gave a up a weird goal he didnt really expect in the 3rd period . Cory only gave up 3 goals in 3 games to the Kings I dont count the game 5 OT goal because a team is going to win in overtime regardless , you play till someone scores, so he only gave up 3 goals in 3 regulation games against a team that dominated the the rest of the way and went on a historic run , and you have to take in account cory got thrown into the fire basically he found out gameday he would be playing and even after game 3 he still wasnt sure . All I am saying is if you watch the video I think you will be impressed with how amazing he is.

I for one am STOKED to think that he might be out will be our starter on OPENING NIGHT, its a new era , and we get to see his new mask every game , everytime Cory played last year it was usually on the road , I like him in the home blue jersey , but yeah I always looked forward to his game , plus when Luongo got pulled , Cory went in on the spot and always shut the other team out , and he got charged with loses from luongos bad play like against Buffalo , when Lu gave up like 4 goals right off the bat , I know people say oh but he rested and only plays ever so often, but ask any athlete , and they live on routine , consitency , they want to be out there everyday , and one last thing , do you guys remember when Luongo took a puck to the mask and Cory played for like 2 weeks straight and went like 8-0 with like 3 or 4 shutouts and a bunch of 1 goal games,

please comment , and comment is appreciated

-Drew-

Luongo is actually 5th in save percentage all-time, despite having played a number of years behind an absolutely atrocious Florida team.

At the end of Luongo's career he will almost definitely be top 10 in wins as well.

Facts are facts.

Just a warning to you fans who think Schneider will somehow play better than one of the league's top-10 All Time and win us a cup within the next 2 seasons:

In every game Schneider has played so far, he has been groomed and sheltered. Yes, he played 30 last season but they were spot starts after days of rest, and only played more than 7 games in a row once after which fatigue got the better of him and he was blown out of the water against (at the time) the worst offence in the NHL in Nashville, then Columbus.

No one knows how Schneider will deal with playing long stretches of games, which is why he's a big gamble. Now I'm not saying he'll falter, but I'm just saying that the probability of him having a remarkable season and playing consistently well throughout 50-60 games and THEN sparkling in the playoffs as well is VERY UNLIKELY. No goalie except for Brodeur and Roy have won a Cup after being in the same situation as Schneider (becoming a starter after minimal experience) so the chances of the Canucks winning a Cup is essentially the same chance as Schneider becoming a top-3 NHL goaltender All-time.

I prefer sticking with Luongo, where the probability of him churning out another 30-win, successful season is VERY HIGH and then the probability of him delivering once again in big playoff games is just as high.

At the end of the day its the management who need to take a step back and make decisions based on what gives the Canucks the best chance, or probability, to win the Cup because no one can see the future, and I employ fans to do the same. Luongo is far from finished and still gives us that safety net, almost guaranteed success. Schneider on the otherhand has much less chance of doing so because so much more could go wrong with Schneider.

I agree with downunder.

One playoff win and one season with 33 games played and we are going all in on Cory.

Better have a decent back up and not an untested rookie in Lack.

Above average goaltending from Luo has given AV and MG a lot of extra sleep they did not really work for.

Now comes the fun part.This is gonna be great.

I agree with downunder.

One playoff win and one season with 33 games played and we are going all in on Cory.

Better have a decent back up and not an untested rookie in Lack.

Above average goaltending from Luo has given AV and MG a lot of extra sleep they did not really work for.

Now comes the fun part.This is gonna be great.

Archived