The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hear Me Out

Drew1

Just a warning to you fans who think Schneider will somehow play better than one of the league's top-10 All Time and win us a cup within the next 2 seasons:

In every game Schneider has played so far, he has been groomed and sheltered. Yes, he played 30 last season but they were spot starts after days of rest, and only played more than 7 games in a row once after which fatigue got the better of him and he was blown out of the water against (at the time) the worst offence in the NHL in Nashville, then Columbus.

No one knows how Schneider will deal with playing long stretches of games, which is why he's a big gamble. Now I'm not saying he'll falter, but I'm just saying that the probability of him having a remarkable season and playing consistently well throughout 50-60 games and THEN sparkling in the playoffs as well is VERY UNLIKELY. No goalie except for Brodeur and Roy have won a Cup after being in the same situation as Schneider (becoming a starter after minimal experience) so the chances of the Canucks winning a Cup is essentially the same chance as Schneider becoming a top-3 NHL goaltender All-time.

I prefer sticking with Luongo, where the probability of him churning out another 30-win, successful season is VERY HIGH and then the probability of him delivering once again in big playoff games is just as high.

At the end of the day its the management who need to take a step back and make decisions based on what gives the Canucks the best chance, or probability, to win the Cup because no one can see the future, and I employ fans to do the same. Luongo is far from finished and still gives us that safety net, almost guaranteed success. Schneider on the otherhand has much less chance of doing so because so much more could go wrong with Schneider.

At this point even the most loyal of Lu supporters must realize that he's moving on. Him talking about the Canucks in the past tense is a big hint.

I guess there's the POSSIBILITY of trading CS instead, but it's slim, and it's a potential PR nightmare for the Canucks. Doubt it happens, even if the CS return would be sweeter.

Completely agree with everything you just said. Cory HAS already proven himself here in Vancouver. I don't believe all the "Well just you wait, Vancouver fans will throw him under the bus in no time." BS. CS is the real deal. We saw how he played right under the thick of pressure. Game 3,4,5 all crucial games and he played out of this world. If our frackin offence had showed up, we would be living in dreamland right now with our Stanley Cup.

Don't look now, but Cory Schneider might just tun out to be the best goalie we ever had in franchise history. Yes, I said that.

Comparing Schneider's 3 good playoff games (of which he won 1) and his little string of 6 or 7 starts in a row to Luongo's consecutive 30-win seasons, Vezina nomination, Hart nomination, Gold medal and countless spectacular performances in the playoffs seems a bit naive don't you think?

Yes Schneider looks good, but when you compare his body of work to Luongo's its no doubt who the safe bet for success is. With Schneider, anything could happen if he takes the reins this season. With Luongo, the Canucks would be pretty much guaranteed another 30-win effort in only 55 games and clutch playoff performances.

To be honest, the whole "rematch of the SCF" thing is way overblown. It's not. It's one game. One regular season game, at that. Cory's from Boston, and his friends and family were in attendance. Makes sense, really.

That being said, he sure played well in an admittedly high-pressure situation.

There's no denying Cory is a good goaltender, but because he beat a few good teams a couple of times, I'd be wary of tooting his horn this much.

People only allude to the fact that Schneids isn't proven over the long haul and in an ongoing fashion. I believe he has what it takes, but it's also a different story to come in as a back up...usually, it's because the "other guy" has faltered a bit and the focus is there. If you're the back up who fails - well, things were already floundering. If you succeed, you're the hero.

The pressure isn't as great because the back up isn't expected to outshine the starter so, if he doesn't, he was "only the backup". Although Schneids has at times, it's just a matter of how he will handle the entire weight on his shoulders, when he's the "go to" guy bearing the full brunt of the win/loss for the team. Of course, that's in perspective to his role as goaltender and the team plays a part in that but here, in this city, we seem to forget that at times and pin it on the guy in net. Which is what will happen if Schneids has a slump...people expect perfection but how will he react when that isn't the case?

Again, I have total confidence that he can rise to the occasion - his poise and composure will be key in that. But this city also has two settings - heroes and zeroes and there is no in between. Can be a tough gig when you're under the under the microscope that is Vancouver and having to constantly answer to the fans/press here. It's a different deal when you've had a rough go and everyone is on your case. Right now, it's like the honeymoon phase and, for Cory's sake, I hope things don't get too difficult for him if he has a dry spell. He seems to have a good grip on it, but tough to tell when things really go south. Lu had to adjust to that and finally (I feel) had...so it's taking a chance that Cory can handle that pressure.

In that, I don't feel the need to sell Lu down the river...he has raised this team to another level and I, for one, will never forget him for that. And hope he's here for awhile.

In the playoffs vs. Boston, Luongo's wins were 3-1, 1-0 and 1-0....What if in the final game (which we lost 4-0) our team didn't give up like 2 shorthanded goals? What if we scored on one of the powerplays? Some momentum might have went to us, and we may have eventually won.

What if Tanner Glass didn't fan on that shot?

There's too many what ifs....

I do agree that Schneider has done very well in his limited games played but I honestly don't believe that 68 regular season games and 4 playoff games (all losses) makes you a proven player...There is a huge difference between playing 60+ games in a season than playing 30 games a season and getting 2 week breaks between games

Do you remember that 2 weeks when Luongo was injured (that you mentioned)? What happened at the end of the 2 weeks? Schneider got blown out by the Sharks and that was after what 6-8 games played in a row?

In the playoffs vs. Boston, Luongo's wins were 3-1, 1-0 and 1-0....What if in the final game (which we lost 4-0) our team didn't give up like 2 shorthanded goals? What if we scored on one of the powerplays? Some momentum might have went to us, and we may have eventually won.

What if Tanner Glass didn't fan on that shot?

There's too many what ifs....

I do agree that Schneider has done very well in his limited games played but I honestly don't believe that 68 regular season games and 4 playoff games (all losses) makes you a proven player...There is a huge difference between playing 60+ games in a season than playing 30 games a season and getting 2 week breaks between games

Do you remember that 2 weeks when Luongo was injured (that you mentioned)? What happened at the end of the 2 weeks? Schneider got blown out by the Sharks and that was after what 6-8 games played in a row?

You fail to mention the numerous shutouts etc. I included all of Cory's outings.. You included only what helps your argument.

Cory's has been a great young goaltender and (in my opinion) will continue to be. But to act like hes been re-donkulously better in the playoffs than Roberto is complete joke. Luongo is still the gratetst goalie in franchise history and Cory has a long way to go still.

To be honest, the whole "rematch of the SCF" thing is way overblown. It's not. It's one game. One regular season game, at that. Cory's from Boston, and his friends and family were in attendance. Makes sense, really.

That being said, he sure played well in an admittedly high-pressure situation.

There's no denying Cory is a good goaltender, but because he beat a few good teams a couple of times, I'd be wary of tooting his horn this much.

I am by no means saying that Luongo hasn't had some excellent playoff games, he very much has. However, for a goaltender of his supposed elite status, he has had waaay too many games that make him look like a beer-leaguer, at very crucial points in a series nonetheless.

My opinion is that Cory has shown a level of consistency and cool-headedness that suggests he couldn't have the mental lapses or meltdowns, or whatever you want to call what Luongo has in the playoffs evey year.

As far as Luongo's "numerous shutouts", he's got 5.

Do you not honestly think Schneider getting the start didnt have something to do with the fact that Luongo was absolutely obliterated in his last 3 starts in Boston? I recall the general consensus being that there was almost no way the Canucks could start Luongo for that game. The game would have been over before it started.

That in and of itself should speak volumes about our goaltending decision going forward. We chose an inexperienced backup goaltender over a gold medal winning, vezina finalist all star goalie for what was probably the most anticipated game of the season. Sure, it was a statistically meaningless game - but I don't recall being more excited for a game since the our cup finals run. That was a must win game for us.

I honestly love Luongo. But I truly believe going with Schneider is a safer bet, despite his "lack of experience" comparatively speaking. I know who I trust between the pipes when our backs our against the wall...

Just a warning to you fans who think Schneider will somehow play better than one of the league's top-10 All Time and win us a cup within the next 2 seasons:

In every game Schneider has played so far, he has been groomed and sheltered. Yes, he played 30 last season but they were spot starts after days of rest, and only played more than 7 games in a row once after which fatigue got the better of him and he was blown out of the water against (at the time) the worst offence in the NHL in Nashville, then Columbus.

No one knows how Schneider will deal with playing long stretches of games, which is why he's a big gamble. Now I'm not saying he'll falter, but I'm just saying that the probability of him having a remarkable season and playing consistently well throughout 50-60 games and THEN sparkling in the playoffs as well is VERY UNLIKELY. No goalie except for Brodeur and Roy have won a Cup after being in the same situation as Schneider (becoming a starter after minimal experience) so the chances of the Canucks winning a Cup is essentially the same chance as Schneider becoming a top-3 NHL goaltender All-time.

I prefer sticking with Luongo, where the probability of him churning out another 30-win, successful season is VERY HIGH and then the probability of him delivering once again in big playoff games is just as high.

At the end of the day its the management who need to take a step back and make decisions based on what gives the Canucks the best chance, or probability, to win the Cup because no one can see the future, and I employ fans to do the same. Luongo is far from finished and still gives us that safety net, almost guaranteed success. Schneider on the otherhand has much less chance of doing so because so much more could go wrong with Schneider.

Archived