Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Top six forwards and Kassian

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#1 Sorcerer

Sorcerer

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

I am a Burrows fan and think he is amazing with the Sedins in the regular season, but in the playoffs they are too easy to push around and off their game.

The Sedins come to camp every year in better shape than most if not all, and improve almost every year and are a lot tougher than they are given credit for. They take a beating every year and are thought of as soft because they are not physically aggressive (not in their nature). Time to protect our superstars.

I think it is time they had a line mate that would not allow them to be pushed around and perhaps Kassian is that player. He seems to have potential in all the right areas. He can skate, can handle the puck well, seems to see the ice well, can shoot, hits and has a mean streak and won’t back down. At least that’s the impression I have of him. He needs to develop these skills.

Would like to see him given the chance to develop with the Sedins, which would require a lot of patience from AV. If the Sedins took him under their wing and worked with him with the help of the coaches he would get lots of ice time to develop. In return I would hope Kassian would develop huge respect for the Sedins and protect them and people would not feel like they could walk all over that line without consequences.

I would hope they would give him 20 or 30 games to see and of course if it’s starting to work out he would have 82 games to get ready for the playoffs. I don’t think we will have a problem making the playoffs so not too much of a risk.

The second line: Burrows and Kesler have both developed their offensive game since they played together as a shutdown line and may be good again on the second line. Or Jensen with Kesler and Booth or of course Doan if he comes to Van.

Thoughts

#2 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:34 AM

Doan with the twins would show a young Kassian how to play like a proper power forward with elite skill players like the Sedins.

#3 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

i like Kassian and think he could be the real deal for us if he puts in work.

We need a total animal tho, a real psycho that puts the fear into opposing players,

i won't be the only Canucks fan that will be pissed if Duncan Keith doesn't get handled next time we play Chi.

Like to see Volpatti Pinozzuto Kassian and Bitz(please re-sign) start the game and just start punching Blackhawks in the face.

time to make a statement that Vancouver doesn't let its best assets get gooned.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#4 Sorcerer

Sorcerer

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

Doan with the twins would show a young Kassian how to play like a proper power forward with elite skill players like the Sedins.

Yes, sounds good

#5 RonnieColeman

RonnieColeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

Agree with OP, have been saying similar stuff for a while now and can't stand people relegating kassian to just 4th line duties in every mock up of potential lines. Would love for a kassian-sedins experiment to see what we have, as Canucks fans we've always been hoping for that RW with a big body, a physical side and great skill that can play with the sedins, we have the chance to develop one this season! If it doesn't work out, we have the tried and tested burrows-sedins combination (although I would love to see it work out....)

#6 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

Maybe not during even strength, but I would like to see the Sedins with Kassian on the PP.
Getting a big body out in front of the net for the Sedins would do wonders.
Posted Image

#7 nucklehead2

nucklehead2

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

Kassian needs to prove he belongs in the line up before he gets a chance too play with the Sedins. If he proves he can play in the NHL on a regular basis then i dont see why not.... But you dont just get stuff handed too you and he has proved absolutley nothing in my mind so far... we shall see

#8 Canucks fan in chicago

Canucks fan in chicago

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

The only problem is Kassian can't score.

#9 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

They tryed it for a few games last season, it didn't work out too well tho. But maybe if Kassian comes back a better player this year.

I'd love it if they tryed him out on the first line, although I think him playing with Lappy really helps him develop his physical play.

#10 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

Kassian should not be rushed in to the top six at all if we signed Doan he could mentor Kassian
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#11 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

For now I agree. The Sedins play a specific type of game and, as of now, I don't see Kassian being a good fit with them. I would like to see what he can do on their wing during the preseason. I've heard that he's really working hard this off season to shed a few pounds and add some muscle. If he can find chemistry with them, I think he's exactly what they need. But until then, I see him as a project.

As for Doan, it also depends on if he can work with them. That line looks good on paper, but whether or not it actually works is another story. I think if Doan is signed, we're gonna see a lot of experimentation with the top line. I'm still most comfortable with Burrows though.

#12 Meyer_Buttreeks

Meyer_Buttreeks

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

Great.....yeah, put the Sedins with a guy with potential. Much better than giving the Sedins some actual proven talent. The Sedins deserve to play with someone that can elevate them. They will never reach their potential because they have had to play with borderline top 6 guys all of their careers. Imagine the numbers they could put up with a real scorer on the other wing?

#13 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

There are a few problems with Kassian and the Sedins;he couldn't keep up with the Sedins last year and he is more of a pass first player (never broke the 30 goal mark in juniors) and not a finisher.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#14 Walkin'2929

Walkin'2929

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

Kassian was thrown into the deep end last season, and worked hard. But, he obviously needs a few more seasons before he starts hitting his peak. He's not a top line, and barely a top 6, player at this stage. They should stick with Burrows on the top line, unless they can get an upgrade on him via a trade, and then drop him down to the 2nd line.

The Canucks need to put together a functional second line from the remaining players on the roster. Higgins is a good choice, but probably belongs on a 3rd line. Booth and Kesler are obvious choices, but even when fully fit, they are falling far short of the mark. Hansen blows hot and cold. Raymond can't stay on his feet. Ebbett and Lapierre are more steady grinding players, who truly belong on the 3rd and 4th lines.

Doan would be a good fit, but he likely won't come here.

So, where to go from here? Time to work some of that magic MG.

#15 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,798 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

I am a big fan of your two opening statements. Well done! I do have a slightly different take though;

I think its time to ride the Twins with superstar workloads! I And of course I am smarter than the coaches :rolleyes:? We keep saving them to play only key offensive situations with Burrows, roughly 16 minutes a night. Sure, play those as a line, then double shift them to get other guys going . Try Hank one shift with, say, Kassian and Higgins. Playing some minutes with a premium play maker is going to get other guys some goals, confidence and their game going. How good would that be for Kassian? Earn his minutes on a 3rd line, but a few shifts every period with a Twin has got to help his development? Next shift get Danny to play with Kess and Booth. Spread the Sedin love around!

:towel:

It will see them routinely playing with guys who can protect them. It will craft constantly changing match ups which are much harder for opposing coaches to contend with!

Think of the potential of Booth with Kesler and Danny? That line has every component of size, speed, pressure, goals, class of talent...! it could be amongst the best in the league. But roll that line out, instead of Twins / Burrows, when Quenneville or someone else tries to overload all their big guns on our current top line. Are you listening AV???

I am a Burrows fan and think he is amazing with the Sedins in the regular season, but in the playoffs they are too easy to push around and off their game.

The Sedins come to camp every year in better shape than most if not all, and improve almost every year and are a lot tougher than they are given credit for. They take a beating every year and are thought of as soft because they are not physically aggressive (not in their nature). Time to protect our superstars.

I think it is time they had a line mate that would not allow them to be pushed around and perhaps Kassian is that player. He seems to have potential in all the right areas. He can skate, can handle the puck well, seems to see the ice well, can shoot, hits and has a mean streak and won’t back down. At least that’s the impression I have of him. He needs to develop these skills.

Would like to see him given the chance to develop with the Sedins, which would require a lot of patience from AV. If the Sedins took him under their wing and worked with him with the help of the coaches he would get lots of ice time to develop. In return I would hope Kassian would develop huge respect for the Sedins and protect them and people would not feel like they could walk all over that line without consequences.

I would hope they would give him 20 or 30 games to see and of course if it’s starting to work out he would have 82 games to get ready for the playoffs. I don’t think we will have a problem making the playoffs so not too much of a risk.

The second line: Burrows and Kesler have both developed their offensive game since they played together as a shutdown line and may be good again on the second line. Or Jensen with Kesler and Booth or of course Doan if he comes to Van.

Thoughts

Absolutely, a premium power right wing would also be a god send for Danny and Hank.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 06 August 2012 - 12:39 PM.

#16 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,989 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

Success = Realized potential.

If Kassian is to succeed as a power forward, we'll need to be patient and we'll need to set our immediate hopes to 'realistic', not 'Next Milan Lucic.'

If Kassian pans out sooner than expected, well that'll be a bonus.
Posted Image

#17 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

I think Kassian needs to focus on making the team before shooting for the top line.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#18 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

I'm still an advocate of the Twins with Booth, since David provides a strong net presence, either in driving to the net with the puck himself or finishing from up close. Also, he is pretty strong on the fore check, and with his preference of going to the net on plays he provides the Twins with an immediate option that could easily work well. Unless Kassian really proves himself or if Burr really steps it up to another level I would put Booth with 22 and 33.

For the 2nd, I would still prefer Burr with Kes and Doan (if he comes), Hansen or Higgins. The player not chosen for the 2nd line between Chris and the Great Dane (if Doan doesn't come) should play with Raymond and Lapierre on the 3rd.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#19 alldaynucksfan11

alldaynucksfan11

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:32 PM

ID kassians with the sedins, nobody would even look at them.

#20 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

I think Gillis is expecting too much from Zack too soon. This core will be half gone by the time he matures into the player he wants.

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#21 NAILED-BY-THE-HAMMER

NAILED-BY-THE-HAMMER

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

booth and kassian were added to the roster during the season so this will be their first training camp and hopefully some new chemistry is born i wouldn't mind seeing any of them working with the sedin,s.

and there is always the chance doan could sign so we have multiple option,s for the twins
Posted Image

#22 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

Kassian is not a top-six forward yet. My preference would even be for him to play in the AHL and develop into a total power forward. If he's going to make the team this year it will be purely in a 4th line role.

He's still raw and needs to bring all his elements of skill, toughness and physicality to the table at the same time.

If we're going to get a pure power forward, I hope we sign Shane Doan.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#23 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

Kassian will probably get some time as a top six but I think he will play mainly as a 4th/3rd liner this year developing his physicality, defensive awareness, and consistency. AV won't rush him into a scoring role yet.

#24 dura_mater

dura_mater

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

Thoughts

Am I the only one who wants to see Burrows stay with the Sedins and Doan on the 2nd line with Kes and Booth? If the Sedins get pushed around, then the second line can push their first line around and if that doesn't work then throw Kass/Doan on the first for a few shifts. Burrows just works so well with the Sedins that I'd hate to break up that chemistry.
"BoKnows53"
My stinky team isn't on top of the Standings anymore Waah waaahh, fire everyone because I say so

- New Era Canucks Fans

#25 TheRocket18

TheRocket18

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:43 PM

Hope Kassian can work into the first line!!!!
Thats what the sedin's need, a visible deterrant.

If Kassian could hustle for the puck and force turnovers like burrows - that be great!
- Perhaps his decrease in weight could help that.

More than likely Burrows w/ Sedins - if its not broke...

#26 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

Kassian needs to prove he belongs in the line up before he gets a chance too play with the Sedins. If he proves he can play in the NHL on a regular basis then i dont see why not.... But you dont just get stuff handed too you and he has proved absolutley nothing in my mind so far... we shall see

I second this, you need to stop talking first and second line untill he shows he can play. He looked our of place and a step behind why would we want that in the line up much less our top line?

#27 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

Am I the only one who wants to see Burrows stay with the Sedins and Doan on the 2nd line with Kes and Booth? If the Sedins get pushed around, then the second line can push their first line around and if that doesn't work then throw Kass/Doan on the first for a few shifts. Burrows just works so well with the Sedins that I'd hate to break up that chemistry.

I agree with you, the only reason the twins are pushed around is because we don't have a second wave to send out. Fix the second line and the twins will play better. One line teams can look great till the playoffs rolls around then it is easy for the other team to shut them down.

#28 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

Hope Kassian can work into the first line!!!!
Thats what the sedin's need, a visible deterrant.

If Kassian could hustle for the puck and force turnovers like burrows - that be great!
- Perhaps his decrease in weight could help that.

More than likely Burrows w/ Sedins - if its not broke...

When did you ever see zach hustle for a puck? Your talking about a drive that your born with or your not. It cracks me up when we get all the posts that say we just need so and so to play like this ______. Players that play in the NHL are in most cases defund in the way they play it's up to the coaches to use them in the best way they can. As of now it's looks like the 4th for zach because he doesn't have the Burrows drive you speak of.

I hope I'm wrong!!!!

#29 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

Keep in mind Kassians conditioning was extremely suspect last year, and he struggled playing 10 minutes a game.

Yes he is addressing it this offseason, and should be in better shape...

But can we really rely on him as a 20 minute player?

Let him earn a spot, and work for it.

#30 xCANUCKAHOLICx

xCANUCKAHOLICx

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

hmmmmm

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.