The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top six forwards and Kassian

Sorcerer

I am a Burrows fan and think he is amazing with the Sedins in the regular season, but in the playoffs they are too easy to push around and off their game.

The Sedins come to camp every year in better shape than most if not all, and improve almost every year and are a lot tougher than they are given credit for. They take a beating every year and are thought of as soft because they are not physically aggressive (not in their nature). Time to protect our superstars.

I think it is time they had a line mate that would not allow them to be pushed around and perhaps Kassian is that player. He seems to have potential in all the right areas. He can skate, can handle the puck well, seems to see the ice well, can shoot, hits and has a mean streak and won’t back down. At least that’s the impression I have of him. He needs to develop these skills.

Would like to see him given the chance to develop with the Sedins, which would require a lot of patience from AV. If the Sedins took him under their wing and worked with him with the help of the coaches he would get lots of ice time to develop. In return I would hope Kassian would develop huge respect for the Sedins and protect them and people would not feel like they could walk all over that line without consequences.

I would hope they would give him 20 or 30 games to see and of course if it’s starting to work out he would have 82 games to get ready for the playoffs. I don’t think we will have a problem making the playoffs so not too much of a risk.

The second line: Burrows and Kesler have both developed their offensive game since they played together as a shutdown line and may be good again on the second line. Or Jensen with Kesler and Booth or of course Doan if he comes to Van.

Thoughts

i like Kassian and think he could be the real deal for us if he puts in work.

We need a total animal tho, a real psycho that puts the fear into opposing players,

i won't be the only Canucks fan that will be pissed if Duncan Keith doesn't get handled next time we play Chi.

Like to see Volpatti Pinozzuto Kassian and Bitz(please re-sign) start the game and just start punching Blackhawks in the face.

time to make a statement that Vancouver doesn't let its best assets get gooned.

Agree with OP, have been saying similar stuff for a while now and can't stand people relegating kassian to just 4th line duties in every mock up of potential lines. Would love for a kassian-sedins experiment to see what we have, as Canucks fans we've always been hoping for that RW with a big body, a physical side and great skill that can play with the sedins, we have the chance to develop one this season! If it doesn't work out, we have the tried and tested burrows-sedins combination (although I would love to see it work out....)

Kassian needs to prove he belongs in the line up before he gets a chance too play with the Sedins. If he proves he can play in the NHL on a regular basis then i dont see why not.... But you dont just get stuff handed too you and he has proved absolutley nothing in my mind so far... we shall see

They tryed it for a few games last season, it didn't work out too well tho. But maybe if Kassian comes back a better player this year.

I'd love it if they tryed him out on the first line, although I think him playing with Lappy really helps him develop his physical play.

Great.....yeah, put the Sedins with a guy with potential. Much better than giving the Sedins some actual proven talent. The Sedins deserve to play with someone that can elevate them. They will never reach their potential because they have had to play with borderline top 6 guys all of their careers. Imagine the numbers they could put up with a real scorer on the other wing?

Kassian was thrown into the deep end last season, and worked hard. But, he obviously needs a few more seasons before he starts hitting his peak. He's not a top line, and barely a top 6, player at this stage. They should stick with Burrows on the top line, unless they can get an upgrade on him via a trade, and then drop him down to the 2nd line.

The Canucks need to put together a functional second line from the remaining players on the roster. Higgins is a good choice, but probably belongs on a 3rd line. Booth and Kesler are obvious choices, but even when fully fit, they are falling far short of the mark. Hansen blows hot and cold. Raymond can't stay on his feet. Ebbett and Lapierre are more steady grinding players, who truly belong on the 3rd and 4th lines.

Doan would be a good fit, but he likely won't come here.

So, where to go from here? Time to work some of that magic MG.

I am a big fan of your two opening statements. Well done! I do have a slightly different take though;

I think its time to ride the Twins with superstar workloads! I And of course I am smarter than the coaches :rolleyes:? We keep saving them to play only key offensive situations with Burrows, roughly 16 minutes a night. Sure, play those as a line, then double shift them to get other guys going . Try Hank one shift with, say, Kassian and Higgins. Playing some minutes with a premium play maker is going to get other guys some goals, confidence and their game going. How good would that be for Kassian? Earn his minutes on a 3rd line, but a few shifts every period with a Twin has got to help his development? Next shift get Danny to play with Kess and Booth. Spread the Sedin love around!

:towel:

It will see them routinely playing with guys who can protect them. It will craft constantly changing match ups which are much harder for opposing coaches to contend with!

Think of the potential of Booth with Kesler and Danny? That line has every component of size, speed, pressure, goals, class of talent...! it could be amongst the best in the league. But roll that line out, instead of Twins / Burrows, when Quenneville or someone else tries to overload all their big guns on our current top line. Are you listening AV???

I am a Burrows fan and think he is amazing with the Sedins in the regular season, but in the playoffs they are too easy to push around and off their game.

The Sedins come to camp every year in better shape than most if not all, and improve almost every year and are a lot tougher than they are given credit for. They take a beating every year and are thought of as soft because they are not physically aggressive (not in their nature). Time to protect our superstars.

I think it is time they had a line mate that would not allow them to be pushed around and perhaps Kassian is that player. He seems to have potential in all the right areas. He can skate, can handle the puck well, seems to see the ice well, can shoot, hits and has a mean streak and won’t back down. At least that’s the impression I have of him. He needs to develop these skills.

Would like to see him given the chance to develop with the Sedins, which would require a lot of patience from AV. If the Sedins took him under their wing and worked with him with the help of the coaches he would get lots of ice time to develop. In return I would hope Kassian would develop huge respect for the Sedins and protect them and people would not feel like they could walk all over that line without consequences.

I would hope they would give him 20 or 30 games to see and of course if it’s starting to work out he would have 82 games to get ready for the playoffs. I don’t think we will have a problem making the playoffs so not too much of a risk.

The second line: Burrows and Kesler have both developed their offensive game since they played together as a shutdown line and may be good again on the second line. Or Jensen with Kesler and Booth or of course Doan if he comes to Van.

Thoughts

I'm still an advocate of the Twins with Booth, since David provides a strong net presence, either in driving to the net with the puck himself or finishing from up close. Also, he is pretty strong on the fore check, and with his preference of going to the net on plays he provides the Twins with an immediate option that could easily work well. Unless Kassian really proves himself or if Burr really steps it up to another level I would put Booth with 22 and 33.

For the 2nd, I would still prefer Burr with Kes and Doan (if he comes), Hansen or Higgins. The player not chosen for the 2nd line between Chris and the Great Dane (if Doan doesn't come) should play with Raymond and Lapierre on the 3rd.

Archived