Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

babych

What We Learned: Maybe Mike Gillis was serious

And it's not just Tampa. Holtby, Reimer, Theodore/Clemmenson, Brodeur (old), Bobrovsky/Mason, Anderson, Whoever NYI goalie is, Crawford, are all slated to be their team's starters this year. Look at that damn list, at least a few of them are going to flop. A bunch of those teams (Chicago, Tampa, Toronto, Washington, New Jersey) have tons of pressure to make the playoffs, "riding it out" for a year with a bad goalie and getting a nice draft pick isn't an option. What happens when several of these teams all realize they need a proven starter a few weeks into the season? They come running to Gillis, because he holds the keys to the only available starter in the league. BIDDING WAR.It's just simple supply and demand, currently the supply is 1 and the demand is 0; if he waits until the season starts the supply will still be 1, but the demand will likely be 3 or 4.

Gillis knows what he's doing here, and when it pays off, he's going to get some big time credit.

While I still believe Luongo can make a lot of teams better, I'm not so sure that he holds the magic that he once had in the League. Teams have found his weaknesses and constantly exploit them, and no longer fear facing him. If this is true, then maybe Gillis is expecting a bit too much for him in trade !! Its a game the GM's are playing..like chess. Who wins will be the guy with the best game plan.

I think cap space is a huge consideration for the Canucks, if they want to add an expensive forward to the mix. Another valid reason to dump Lous salery.

its hard to criticize when we dont know what fla is countering with...we know van wants bjugstad or gudbranson but what is fla or any other teams counter offer....?

until we get a report on what teams are offering, noone can rightfully criticize this whole situation

but luongo isnt worth bjugstad, gudbranson, gardiner or any other young quality prospect

great article..... Im sure offers are on the way. GM's are like used car salesman.

They can only play hardball for so long!

He can?

We have no 2nd line C until December, we have a cyclops for our 3rd line C, and we have serious questions regarding our scoring.

There is a LOT of work to do. And, again, I'll remind you that we're currently the 2011-12 team, MINUS Rome, MINUS Salo, plus Garrison. That is a team that has gotten worse. Patience is not something that's going to work here, Gillis needs to act.

This will define MG for years to come. And it was Gillis that partly is to blame for putting himself in this situation ie. long drawn out contract.

Sure. The Kings scraped their way into the playoffs and became cup champs. So let's burn rubber in August, right?

Typical 'what have you done for me this week' nonsense.

This will define MG for years to come. And it was Gillis that partly is to blame for putting himself in this situation ie. long drawn out contract.

Mg didn't accept a deal right away, so for the rest of the off season Lu's value will drop. However, I believe that as the new season approaches his value will increase, and if in fact he does wear a Canucks jersey next season, his value will increase even more. So as far as timing goes......by not taking a deal right away, by default, we are potentially waiting till 1/4 way through next season to get FULL or close too FULL trade value.

Yeah, let's use one 8th seed winning the Cup as a justification for lethargy on a veteran team that should be focused on winning now.

A low probability event happening is still low probability. But I'm glad to see that you're finally conceding the fact that we're currently worse than what we were last year, which is what I've been saying for a long time.

If by "interesting", you mean "horse bleep", sure.

You can't "drive up" somebody's value in the NHL. You're not an institution buying stock. Cody still had to go out and make all the plays that he did. Cody had to go out and win all the faceoffs. Etc. This is a stupid, spiteful premise to take. Gillis is essentially saying that Hodgson sucks, and that he was a creation of the Vancouver Canucks - OK, Mike, we'll see about that one.

BTW, speaking of values, how sad is it that perennial top-10 goaltender Roberto Luongo can't even get back some mid-1st rounder from a team already loaded with youth?

i really don't think that we will get much for luongo.he has proven that he is a decent regular season goalie, and shown that he chokes in the play-offs. teams want a goalie that is going to show up in the big games and win them, which luongo has failed to do. other teams see that as much as anyone who watches games does, and that's going to result in a low return for luongo.

If by "interesting", you mean "horse bleep", sure.

You can't "drive up" somebody's value in the NHL. You're not an institution buying stock. Cody still had to go out and make all the plays that he did. Cody had to go out and win all the faceoffs. Etc. This is a stupid, spiteful premise to take. Gillis is essentially saying that Hodgson sucks, and that he was a creation of the Vancouver Canucks - OK, Mike, we'll see about that one.

BTW, speaking of values, how sad is it that perennial top-10 goaltender Roberto Luongo can't even get back some mid-1st rounder from a team already loaded with youth?

He can?

We have no 2nd line C until December, we have a cyclops for our 3rd line C, and we have serious questions regarding our scoring.

There is a LOT of work to do. And, again, I'll remind you that we're currently the 2011-12 team, MINUS Rome, MINUS Salo, plus Garrison. That is a team that has gotten worse. Patience is not something that's going to work here, Gillis needs to act.

I still remain mystified by how many CDC and Canuck fans blindly believe MG when he says that they drove up Hodgson's value. It's as if to say they deceived the purchasing team, and were smarter than you.

We were performing average and the Sedins were in the middle of their worst funk in years about the mid to end of December. And Hodgson, after years of being deployed with crap players and having his injuries ignored, was finally getting some third line shifts with some guys who often play 2knd line with Kesler. Funny thing, Hodgson got guys like Booth and Higgins going. So with the Sedin's struggling and CoHo performing; the coach upped his minutes and played him in key situations. It wa exactly the coaching move you should expect. An even funnier thing happened; CoHo led the team in scoring in January, but we also went on our biggest win streak of the year. And he was clutch too, scoring big goals and we took over first overall.

And for those who believe it was all trumped up time against soft defenders; he blasted a beautiful goal past all star Jimmy Howard with Lidstrom looking on. He scored a game saver against San Jose when they had all their big guns on the ice. He blasted the heart breaker against vezina winner Tim Thomas, also the prettiest Canuck goal of the year. Yes our big win streak and drive to first place started during the period Hodgson was being "trumped up."

Then we slowed back down again when we reduced his minutes in February, and further tanked after the deadline when he was traded. All fact! Gillis is just covering his tail feeding this Hodgson under the bus stuff. (And its not like the Sedin's haven't been receiving those sheltered minutes for years...). In both cases its just good deployment of offensive talent.

But I do like him holding out for a good Lou trade... :bigblush: Maybe he is learning from the Hodgson trade?

One thing i found interesting was the part about Hodson and how MG drove up his trade value.

i really don't think that we will get much for luongo.he has proven that he is a decent regular season goalie, and shown that he chokes in the play-offs. teams want a goalie that is going to show up in the big games and win them, which luongo has failed to do. other teams see that as much as anyone who watches games does, and that's going to result in a low return for luongo.

Yeah, let's use one 8th seed winning the Cup as a justification for lethargy on a veteran team that should be focused on winning now.

A low probability event happening is still low probability. But I'm glad to see that you're finally conceding the fact that we're currently worse than what we were last year, which is what I've been saying for a long time.

It was standard procedure to put players with Gretzky to pump up their trade value.

After Sather did that with MacDonald (?), he traded him to the Canucks fleecing Vancouver and added the comment, "a fireplug could score 40 goals on a line with Gretzky".