The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What We Learned: Maybe Mike Gillis was serious

babych

" Then it's a good thing he only has a cap hit of $4.6M, versus Salo's cap hit of $3.75M. That's only 1.22 Salos, and I think he's worth that. 10 years better age difference for at least similar defensive ability (although Garrison is more physical), and all for just an extra 0.22 of a Salo." Elvis

Hello Elvis.

Salo was paid $2 million and Garrison gets paid $5.5 this year and $6.5 million next year.Real payment.

Gillis was not going to pay Sami $3.75 and that is precisely my point.There is no 1.22 Salo's.

Garrison is not known anywhere at anytime to be a physical d man.Moreover,Sami is arguably as or more offensively talented than Garrison has been or may ever be.

He is the unknown for 5.5/6.5. Salo was known and reliable for 2.

" Then it's a good thing he only has a cap hit of $4.6M, versus Salo's cap hit of $3.75M. That's only 1.22 Salos, and I think he's worth that. 10 years better age difference for at least similar defensive ability (although Garrison is more physical), and all for just an extra 0.22 of a Salo." Elvis

Hello Elvis.

Salo was paid $2 million and Garrison gets paid $5.5 this year and $6.5 million next year.Real payment.

Gillis was not going to pay Sami $3.75 and that is precisely my point.There is no 1.22 Salo's.

Garrison is not known anywhere at anytime to be a physical d man.Moreover,Sami is arguably as or more offensively talented than Garrison has been or may ever be.

He is the unknown for 5.5/6.5. Salo was known and reliable for 2.

Elvis,Gillis was not going to and did not pay Salo what you calculate he is now being paid.

I don't buy the term theory,Elvis,any more than I think Elvis was not a coke head and fried himself.

Salo proved himself.Garrison has proven nothing here.

That was Gillis' lawyer schtick way out so he did not have to suffer again what he brought upon himself with Cody.

Salo 2 million.Garrison 5.5 and 6.5 with a six year no trade.Not cool.

He can?

We have no 2nd line C until December, we have a cyclops for our 3rd line C, and we have serious questions regarding our scoring.

There is a LOT of work to do. And, again, I'll remind you that we're currently the 2011-12 team, MINUS Rome, MINUS Salo, plus Garrison. That is a team that has gotten worse. Patience is not something that's going to work here, Gillis needs to act.

Elvis,Gillis was not going to and did not pay Salo what you calculate he is now being paid.

I don't buy the term theory,Elvis,any more than I think Elvis was not a coke head and fried himself.

Salo proved himself.Garrison has proven nothing here.

That was Gillis' lawyer schtick way out so he did not have to suffer again what he brought upon himself with Cody.

Salo 2 million.Garrison 5.5 and 6.5 with a six year no trade.Not cool.

every off-season it's the same old panic attack...

"(insert gm's name) needs to make a move RIGHT NAO or we'll all die in a pit of snakes" (or whatever)

Just because you're bored doesn't mean Gillis needs to make a trade tomorrow. As for hockey-related reasons to make a move, Gillis already said he's fielding offers. As long as he makes this move before the season it's best he waits to get the biggest return possible. Gillis might even be waiting to see what Doan does to decide whether to move Lou for roster players or not. We don't know.

I repeat, your ADHD is not a legitimate reason for the General Manager of the Vancouver Canucks to fast-track a trade.

And it's not just Tampa. Holtby, Reimer, Theodore/Clemmenson, Brodeur (old), Bobrovsky/Mason, Anderson, Whoever NYI goalie is, Crawford, are all slated to be their team's starters this year. Look at that damn list, at least a few of them are going to flop. A bunch of those teams (Chicago, Tampa, Toronto, Washington, New Jersey) have tons of pressure to make the playoffs, "riding it out" for a year with a bad goalie and getting a nice draft pick isn't an option. What happens when several of these teams all realize they need a proven starter a few weeks into the season? They come running to Gillis, because he holds the keys to the only available starter in the league. BIDDING WAR.It's just simple supply and demand, currently the supply is 1 and the demand is 0; if he waits until the season starts the supply will still be 1, but the demand will likely be 3 or 4.

Gillis knows what he's doing here, and when it pays off, he's going to get some big time credit.

I've been pretty outspoken and critical of Gillis because I think that he's very arrogant and condescending and he talks out of both sides of his mouth. Not to mention, that he hasn't done many of the things that he said that he was going to do going into this offseason. But, if he's able to get either a Bjugstad or Gudbrandson out of Florida for Luongo, then I will have to give him some credit.

Given the fact that everyone knows that Luongo has to be dealt, it doesn't put Gillis in an easy position. Although Luongo can get a bubble team into the playoffs, he's definitely not a top tier goalie anymore like someone in a previous post mentioned. If you're a top tier goalie and are getting paid accordingly like he is, then you better out perform your goalie counterparts in the playoffs, and in the past two seasons, Luongo has not been the better goalie in any of the series. Regular season is one thing, but to me, if you're a top tier guy, then the post season is where you make your money. He's proven over the last couple of years that he's not going to be able to win you a playoff series by himself like some other goalies are able too. Whether that's age or what, it's a fact. He's been the second best goalie in every series for the last two years and knowing that, if Gillis can somehow flip him and that contract into a Bjugstad or Gudbrandson(preferably), then he'll be getting away with highway robbery in my opinion.

I like the fact that while Lu is here he is not in another team winning the SC and showing us what a mistake we made.

"If you're a top tier goalie and are getting paid accordingly like he is, then you better out perform your goalie counterparts in the playoffs,"

You are aware that the defence.........the rest of the team......also influences a goalies performance. I didn't see Boston or LA's goalie being molested or left exposed time after time. Even then, there were only 3 tandems with lower goals against, NYR, St. LB and LA.

I think how a defence protects their goalie and the style of the defence can also affect a goalie's figures.

Then it's a good thing he only has a cap hit of $4.6M, versus Salo's cap hit of $3.75M. That's only 1.22 Salos, and I think he's worth that. 10 years better age difference for at least similar defensive ability (although Garrison is more physical), and all for just an extra 0.22 of a Salo.

The problem is that people expect and want Luongo to be traded by now, which will drop his trade value immensley if it appears we have to get rid of Luongo.

The truth is, we don't right now. We can fit everyone under the cap and still play a system with 2 rotating goaltenders, easily the best tandem in the league. If MG starts employing that mentality as opposed to "Schneider is our starter, and Luongo must be gone by seasons start" then we'll get a lot more in return.

The Vancouver Canucks have not played this out well so I doubt we'll get a favourable return for Luongo now. Hopefully MG is smart, holds onto both goalies for a few months into the season whereby we will see how successful the two goalies are playing in a tandem, and then one of them will be traded at the deadline to free up cap room and solidify our top-6 or top-4 defence.

Luongo is a hyper-competitive guy. He hates sitting on the bench. There are countless quotes from him over the years to this effect. He was once POd that he had to sit after having played about 15 games in a row. (AV decided it was best on a back-to-back 2fer on the road, just before he was to go to the all-star game, where he'd be only one or two on the team not to have the all-star break.).

Archived