The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cory's Stance

Drew1

Hey Guys

Do you guys remember Quicks stance , they way he played so low , its honestly genius because instead of having to look over the screener such as holmstrom exc. he just gets low, the guys on the panel were saying its the new generation and wave of goaltending , and how young kids are all going to start playing this style, The awesome thing is that Cory plays like that , I remember Garry Valk and John Garrett were saying Corys leg strength is amazing he is always so low and instead of just making the stop with the pad he actually has the strength to kick the puck out, they said only like 3 goalies in the league can do that , I am so impressed with his style , he has super flexible pads and they are smaller then Luongos, so he can move really freely and smooth,

What do you guys think? Do you like this style or do you like Luongos style of bigger pads and sort of getting in the way of the puck and giving up a rebound, because Cory smothers the puck ?

Really interested to hear your opinion.

As a goalie myself I can honestly say that getting low and being in the butterfly is the only way that I feel like I am able to have even a remote chance to track a shot through a screen

The one advantage that Cory, Lu, and Quick have over someone like myself is that they are tall. I am 5'3'' so it is not that clear cut for me. I can't automatically go onto my knees when I can't see the shot because that's when girls will just shoot up high and pick me apart on the top corners.

With Lu he has that tendency to belly flop but Cory is so strong with his core and his positioning that he rarely lunges. He is always upright so he still covers the top of the net. Here is an old article from last season about Lu vs Schneider.

When they are upright in their traditional butterfly stances, Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider look - stylistically speaking - nearly identical in the Vancouver net.

Where the techniques diverge is when their pads drop to the blue ice, according to hockey writer and goaltending analyst Kevin Woodley.

"The big difference - and the measuring stick in terms of their mobility - is the way their legs drop when they are on the ice," said Woodley, who operates the online goalie bible, InGoal Digital Magazine (ingoalmag.com). "When Cory goes down, his legs spread across in what we'd call a wide butterfly. His pads almost go across in a straight line." Luongo, a three-time Vezina nominee, has a narrower butterfly, Woodley says, and it cuts into his lateral recoveries.

"Roberto has the ability to get wide but he is somewhat bowlegged, so his skates naturally fall in behind his knees," he said. "In addition to having to now move his skates further from this position in order to get an edge to push with, it leaves him with less coverage, or width, along the ice. And the quickest way to get more extension out of your legs is to tilt your torso forward, which can leave him on his belly. Try getting down on your knees and extending your leg as far as it will go. Now fall forward, and you will see your leg will stick out about a foot further." It's a save technique that's taught, said Woodley, though when he's not reading the play well early in a season Luongo can overuse it. The other major difference between the two goalies is also physical. Luongo wears a size 13 skate, Woodley says, while Schneider wears a nine.

"Turning size 13 skates can be like turning a battleship - they weren't made for dancing," he said. "This isn't meant as a criticism of Luongo, because he is a top goalie in the league and capable of winning a Stanley Cup, but he's just not going to be as good a skater as Schneider."

It's not really all the goalie's choice. LA plays a suffocating team defense game that absolutely shuts down any scoring chance. The only options they leave for the opposing team are low percentage plays. Quick covers the remaining percentage and what you see is inflated stats on a great defensive team using a great defensive system. Essentially it's the team that allows Quick to play the style he does.

Then you look at Vancouver: Luongo used to look like the best goalie in the league when we played the trap. Now what happened? We loosen up our defensive plays, Luongo doesn't look so good anymore.

I wouldn't say this is a new technique or a new wave of goaltending tactics. I was looking through legs 20yrs ago. With that said a lot of the technique is due to size, and style. A 6'5" goalie is more likely to be looking over shoulders than he is to be looking through legs.

And I thought this would be a thread on speculation of what Cory thinks of Luongo. How refreshing! I think this style of play is good as long as the opposition doesn't figure it out and just shoots high all the time. I am not sure of the stats but I think Quick is taller than Cory too? so it could be a risky type of style. Rebound control is key though so this stance will definitely help.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEW SEASON!

Cory is taller then Quick , Cory is 6'2 / Quick is 6'1 and like hockeyville88 said, Cory is so strong and if you notice not a knock on Lu at all because obviousley his style works for him , but when Luongo goes on his stomach partly because of his groin and partly because his legs are long enough to cover post to post but he stay down for like the whole time until we clear the puck , Cory bounces up like a flash , thats how in the vid on youtube he stopped like 5 shots in 20 seconds

There are many factors that come into play when assessing a goal tender. It has crossed my mind that Lou using the Rebok equipment may not be the best option for him. Getting paid to play one equipment or another just might colour the selection process. Lou gives up big rebounds, drops his stick a lot and loses a fair number of glove saves. Could be more about the equipment than Lou. ! There are a lot of choices now !

Quick's style is also complemented by LA's defensive style. They limit and plug up the shooting lanes really quickly so that most of the time you don't have the time to get shots up high. They limit the quality looks you get on net, and of course Quick is exceptional down low.

It works really well because the two parts are complimentary.

First its much easier to block, and the goalie to see?

2knd, its much harder to tip or redirect?

Good thread. I dont know much about goal tending. But it will be the most important part of our success this year.

However, I never understood why you just didnt shoot high on John Quick? especially through the screen.

It's not really all the goalie's choice. LA plays a suffocating team defense game that absolutely shuts down any scoring chance. The only options they leave for the opposing team are low percentage plays. Quick covers the remaining percentage and what you see is inflated stats on a great defensive team using a great defensive system. Essentially it's the team that allows Quick to play the style he does.

Then you look at Vancouver: Luongo used to look like the best goalie in the league when we played the trap. Now what happened? We loosen up our defensive plays, Luongo doesn't look so good anymore.

I disagree about Luongo. Luongo was saving the team on a nightly basis back in his first few years here. He was making highlight reel saves consistently. Ever since the groin injury he had, he's been inconsistent and letting in bad goals from bad angles. He's still a great goalie though.

I love Schneider's composure in net though. He anticipates the play so well and he's so strong down low by standing his ground and recovering from rebounds quickly. Something I think Luongo isn't as good at.

I disagree about Luongo. Luongo was saving the team on a nightly basis back in his first few years here. He was making highlight reel saves consistently. Ever since the groin injury he had, he's been inconsistent and letting in bad goals from bad angles. He's still a great goalie though.

I love Schneider's composure in net though. He anticipates the play so well and he's so strong down low by standing his ground and recovering from rebounds quickly. Something I think Luongo isn't as good at.

Hey Guys

Do you guys remember Quicks stance , they way he played so low , its honestly genius because instead of having to look over the screener such as holmstrom exc. he just gets low, the guys on the panel were saying its the new generation and wave of goaltending , and how young kids are all going to start playing this style, The awesome thing is that Cory plays like that , I remember Garry Valk and John Garrett were saying Corys leg strength is amazing he is always so low and instead of just making the stop with the pad he actually has the strength to kick the puck out, they said only like 3 goalies in the league can do that , I am so impressed with his style , he has super flexible pads and they are smaller then Luongos, so he can move really freely and smooth,

What do you guys think? Do you like this style or do you like Luongos style of bigger pads and sort of getting in the way of the puck and giving up a rebound, because Cory smothers the puck ?

Really interested to hear your opinion.

As a goalie myself I can honestly say that getting low and being in the butterfly is the only way that I feel like I am able to have even a remote chance to track a shot through a screen

The one advantage that Cory, Lu, and Quick have over someone like myself is that they are tall. I am 5'3'' so it is not that clear cut for me. I can't automatically go onto my knees when I can't see the shot because that's when girls will just shoot up high and pick me apart on the top corners.

With Lu he has that tendency to belly flop but Cory is so strong with his core and his positioning that he rarely lunges. He is always upright so he still covers the top of the net. Here is an old article from last season about Lu vs Schneider.

They're completely different styles. Cory's stance is an absorbing style but like previously mention requires the defense to play very well. I'm a taller goalie myself (6'3" 216 lbs) and play more the Luongo wide style stance. I like to challenge shooters and let my defenders take care of any passes. I make more "highlight reel" saves. (Even when they should be pretty ordinary sometimes. :bigblush: )

Archived