Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hank Moody

Anyone ever worked at the Brick?

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys.

So i'm a university student currently about to enter my 3rd year at UBC. I got called in for a job interview at the Brick today and am scheduled for tommorow.

I just need some advice from anyone who's ever worked there. Is it a good job? I know it's all commission based, but can you make good commission or is it a pipe dream to believe you will make more than working your average 10.25/hour job?

I like to say i'm extremely personable and people-oriented, but i've never really sold Furniture or Matresses or anything. I'm sure i'd learn, but will I be able to become good enough to make a decent side income for school expenses while doing full time courses?

Just want some advice for some people who've worked there before!

The Brick has an absolutely terrible reputation, I honestly don't know how they're still up and running.

If you've ever walked into a store they hound you worse than Future Shop chumps on commission. From my outside-> looking-in impression, I imagine they only survive by exploiting elderly clients that walk through the door, and you just upsell upsell upsell as many of them are too trusting and have trouble saying no.

With that said, based on how persistent the employees are there, I wouldn't be surprised if they really put a lot of pressure on you to sell. I find it hard to believe people are that obnoxious otherwise, even in a general sales position.

The Brick has an absolutely terrible reputation, I honestly don't know how they're still up and running.

If you've ever walked into a store they hound you worse than Future Shop chumps on commission. From my outside-> looking-in impression, I imagine they only survive by exploiting elderly clients that walk through the door, and you just upsell upsell upsell as many of them are too trusting and have trouble saying no.

With that said, based on how persistent the employees are there, I wouldn't be surprised if they really put a lot of pressure on you to sell. I find it hard to believe people are that obnoxious otherwise, even in a general sales position.

Exactly what I was about to say. Maybe try it out for a week or two, but I honestly don't see it being a very good job.

Never worked there but I wouldn't suggest it.

Brick is the scum bag of retail. Awful to its employees and to their customers.

Their products are crap and when they aren't crap they are very overpriced. From what I have heard every month they fire the lowest selling salesman which is probably true considering every time you walk in the door within seconds you get rushed by 4 salesmen. But If you don't have a job currently there is nothing wrong with taking the job.

I worked a Leon's Furniture. (Probably Brick's biggest competition in Canada, excluding BC), and it was terrible. They treated their employees like crap. Never kept their promises, and lied 24/7, among other things.

That being said... I met a couple of people that moved from the Brick, to Leon's and they much prefer Leon's to the Brick.

So in other words... Don't join the Brick.

If you want to get into a career of sales, sadly while the brick has earned it's reputation, it is a good springboard into other jobs, and they are able to train well. I've worked with many people who came from the brick and with the right immediate management and staff it can be a good place, and you can make decent money there (50k~ ++) after your first year. (Sales is an interesting gig, and it takes some times to pick up on the subtleties that make a good salesperson good at what they do)

The most important thing here is, do you want to sell? You can definitely make much more than minimum wage, but you can only do that if you're able and willing to sell. This isn't the "I suggest you buy this one" that you'll get at most stores with minimum wage staff, it's the willingness to educate yourself on more than the simple "buying cycle" and getting right into the psychology of sales and what makes people tick. It's not so much the fancy way to make a statement that brainwashes someone into buying something, (which doesn't exist) it's more learning how to listen to what people are saying, picking up on subtleties, and using their own statements to reinforce their buying decision. A person will buy more items for more money when they agree that it's what they want or need and they see the value in the item. (If you simply insist "...it's a great buy and you must have it!" without this reinforcement they'll simply tell you to get bent) Also, with a sales job, it's fair to expect to have to deal with people who feel they're entitled to treat you like a bag of rotten feces simply because you're a salesperson, and you'll have to be okay with that from time to time.

At places like the brick, you'll have the "clerks" and the "salespeople", but both will have the same job title. The "clerks" make minimum wage because they don't sell enough and shortly after leave, or are let go because they don't perform or don't enjoy the job. The "salespeople" have the incomes they'll flash at you to entice you to work there, and most are more than willing to help an eager rookie learn the ropes. Among these salespeople are various snakes and sharks. Snakes and sharks will be willing to teach you as much as the good salespeople, trust your instincts to differentiate between who's willing to help you succeed, and who's willing to reach into your wallet.

For a side job to supplement your income while studying, I'm not sure I could do that myself but everyone is different. I suppose it is doable but you have to be honest with yourself on if you want to do it. Sales can be a good career, and can be fulfilling as well. I spent 5 years with Moores, 7 years with Sleep Country, and now am in R.V. sales. For me it's always been a full time gig and I've been able to apply myself to my job without any outside factors (such as studying) to drain my energy from work.

If it were me, I would find an income that is less reliant on my ability to talk people out of their money for merchandise. Again, that's me speaking, if you're up for it fly at it. It's doable, but you'll have to have lots of piss and vinegar to do well at both work and school in that situation.

I just recently bought a mattress, and The Brick was one of the places I stopped by, but I didn't buy there. It reminded me a lot of when I shop at Visions electronics. Even if I do end up getting a decent price on something, I feel a bit crappy for having succumbed to their sales pressure.

If you're already good with people and want to get experience with sales and persuasion, I'd say go for it. Sales is something I could never do effectively, but I do wish I had a bit of what those people have.