The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who agrees the Canucks two president trophies are tainted

vcr1970

Don't worry, we won't have to think about winning any more President's trophies in the near future. Without our 1-2 punch of luongo and schneider, we won't come close. Being first overall was an enormous advantage in our run to the cup 2 seasons ago. Kesler and the Sedins better have some magic up their sleeves if we want to win a stanley cup.

They've won the last two years but they've played in the weakest division in hockey each year. They get to play 24 games (almost 30% of their season) against teams that don't make the playoffs.

In each of the last 2 years they are in the only conference that has put one team into the playoffs.

Who would you rather play 24 games against in a season:

Edmonton

Calgary

Minnesota

Colorado, or

Nashville

Detroit

Chicago

St. Louis, or

Columbus

You swap the Canucks with any of Nashville, Detroit, Chicago or St. Louis and we don't win the president's trophy.

Do you agree or disagree?

I think the consensus is that it's a meaningless title and that being in the weakest division has always helped the winners. The true question is why does MG keep using those two president's trophy to defend his work and claim that the canucks are a top cup contender? Again today he was talking about what a miserable regular season LA had and how they were lucky to get into the playoffs.Let's be honest, the canucks have question marks on the second, third and fourth line, no true stud defenceman and no hardnose big body defencemen like Green and Mitchell- quite a few shortcomings for a cup contender!

yeah, until you realize most teams that win the presidents trophy are in weak divisions. i dont see detroit handing their trophies back when they had a crappy st louis chicago & Columbus and a semi-competitive nashville team in their division. some years detroit had won by christmas almost.

Why do people feel the need to apologize for winning? you won doesnt matter how.

Are you kidding? WE make them look weak. THEY don't make the playoffs because WE are too good. :) Or at least that is what I say to make myself feel better.

BTW Didn't Edmonton whoop Chicago hardcore in more than one exhibition game scoring 8 and 9 goals. So I don't know what you're on about.

This is like the argument that "well, you wouldn't have won those games if the goalie didn't play on his head" O Rly? I was under the assumption games were won in spite of the players comprising a team...

It's the same logic here. You can only worry about what your team does, and you can't fault them for winning. Do you give them a pass for finishing 5th in the hardest division? No. You'd be an idiot to do that.

I would think most teams that win the President's trophy are in bad divisions, not just the Canucks. The South East was a joke when Washington was winning them. The Central was a complete joke when the Red Wings were winning them.

When Detroit won the 2003-04 President's Trophy (109 pts) the second ranked team in their division was St. Louis with 91 points. That's a 18 point gap. Chicago finished that year with 59 points. The central division sucked but I remember anyone complaining about the Wings having it easy. Get over it. We won because we were the best regular season team.

Archived