The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Salo

Peaches

Salo Jersey Retirement  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

well it worked for naslund...he never even got us out of the second round mind boggles me how his number can be retired when you compare kesler and the sedins even luongo has done more to this franchise than he has...sadly salo isnt that elite and should be in the ring for sure

To me it was the end of an era.

Ohlund and Salo anchored the PP for over a decade between them.Matthias' best goal production came with Sami's presence.

Now Salo and Hedman together could wake up some to what Vancouver lost.

Hardest slap shot for the team most every year in Canucks skills competition.

+114 (career)-tell me the guy is soft,please.Positionally superb d man.

8-25+ point years in Vancouver in 62 games played(average).

Edler has done that four times,Bieksa 3 times.Ballard 4 times(career).Hamhuis 5 times(career).Garrison 2 times(Florida).

Ohlund also did it nine times for Vancouver,six of those years playing with Sami.

Ohlund career +/- ? -6

Bieksa career +/- ? +24

Ballard career +/- ? -1

Edler career +/- ? +33

Garrison career +/- ? +9

Hamhuis career +/- ? + 61

Sami Salo career +/- ? +114

Tallying total records of all Canucks D men ALL TIME Salo :

Most PP goals with 48-Ohlund second with 36

Most game winners with 20-Ohlund second with 19

Least penalised player in top ten scoring all time and best plus minus Canuck all time

Sami Salo is fifth all time scoring in Vancouver Canucks Defense man history,folks and he did it averaging 62 games per year.

Most astonishing is the fact that he suffered endless,serious injuries and overcame them all.

Sami Salo leaves behind a decade of stellar performance as a Canuck and this truly is the end of an era.

Exactly! At best Naslund deserved a ROH and even then I questioned his leadership when it counted. He does not compare to what Smyl and Linden did. Kesler and the Twins got the team to the finals like Linden & Smyl. IMHO that does not warrant a # retirement either. There has to be absolutely no doubt that they spent everything they had in the effort.

Back to Salo. Sorry but even tho he was the best all around d-man for long stretches it still doesn't rate the ROH and most definitely not a # retirement. What I will always remember about Sami was taking that shot in the knacker and coming back to finish the series. Gutsy but that gets him a round of 'pops' not immortaility!

Ohlund and Salo anchored the PP for over a decade between them.Matthias' best goal production came with Sami's presence.

Edler has done that four times,Bieksa 3 times.Ballard 4 times(career).Hamhuis 5 times(career).Garrison 2 times(Florida).

Ohlund also did it nine times for Vancouver,six of those years playing with Sami.

Ohlund career +/- ? -6

Bieksa career +/- ? +24

Ballard career +/- ? -1

Edler career +/- ? +33

Garrison career +/- ? +9

Least penalised player in top ten scoring all time and best plus minus Canuck all time

Sami Salo is fifth all time scoring in Vancouver Canucks Defense man history,folks and he did it averaging 62 games per year.

Most astonishing is the fact that he suffered endless,serious injuries and overcame them all.

Sami Salo leaves behind a decade of stellar performance as a Canuck and this truly is the end of an era.

well it worked for naslund...he never even got us out of the second round mind boggles me how his number can be retired when you compare kesler and the sedins even luongo has done more to this franchise than he has...sadly salo isnt that elite and should be in the ring for sure

Ohlund career +/- ? -6

Bieksa career +/- ? +24

Ballard career +/- ? -1

Edler career +/- ? +33

Garrison career +/- ? +9

BTW,It is a Salo thread ,Baggins.Included is the option to vote 'C'-neither award.

I could care less if Sami or Matthias ever come back to Vancouver from some sunny Florida beach home to get some award such as ROH.They earned a nice retirement spot after a decade each of dedicated,exceptional service working/living in the rain and cold of Vancouver.

Salo's +/- stats are out of this world.Nobody can diminish his positional play with or without the puck or the years of dependable service he gave this club.I just wanted to highlight how valuable he has been for the Canucks .

Enjoy Florida,Sami. Many will miss you.

BTW,It is a Salo thread ,Baggins.Included is the option to vote 'C'-neither award.

I could care less if Sami or Matthias ever come back to Vancouver from some sunny Florida beach home to get some award such as ROH.They earned a nice retirement spot after a decade each of dedicated,exceptional service working/living in the rain and cold of Vancouver.

Salo's +/- stats are out of this world.Nobody can diminish his positional play with or without the puck or the years of dependable service he gave this club.I just wanted to highlight how valuable he has been for the Canucks .

Enjoy Florida,Sami. Many will miss you.

I own a Salo jersey as he was 1 of my 2 fav Canucks and the other hadn't signed his current 4 year deal at the time. I think Salo was our best defenseman since Ohlund's last year here but we ultimately haven't won anything with him here so I really don't think either is much of a likely scenario as he didn't exactly light the scoresheet either. Decent production but definitely not great.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to start a topic with this but decided this one was also a tribute.

Anyway I was watching some Canucks videos and found this and it really had me choked about not starting the season with Sami.......the gentle "giant"

He gave it all for this team..........and more. "Was 2 more years too much to ask Mike?"

I was going to start a topic with this but decided this one was also a tribute.

Anyway I was watching some Canucks videos and found this and it really had me choked about not starting the season with Sami.......the gentle "giant"

He gave it all for this team..........and more. "Was 2 more years too much to ask Mike?"

Why do Canuck fans feel the need to retire the jersey of every player they have ever liked?

I'd like to see us wait til' we win a championship before we start raising anymore jerseys to the rafters.

Retiring a jersey should be reserved for GREAT players like Sedins. Players like them will have their jerseys raised whether or not we win the Cup.

Salo? Maybe if we had won the cup in 2010.

Archived