Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Salo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Salo Jersey Retirement (188 member(s) have cast votes)

Should his jersey be retired?

1. Yes, Jersey Retired (20 votes [10.64%])

Percentage of vote: 10.64%

2. No, but ROH (97 votes [51.60%])

Percentage of vote: 51.60%

3. Neither (71 votes [37.77%])

Percentage of vote: 37.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

Salo deserves the ROH. He was a Canuck for 9 years and was a great defenseman for us.

#32 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,129 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

:picard:

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#33 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,054 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

are they still doing the ROH they did it the one year and nothing last year

#34 Canucks fan in chicago

Canucks fan in chicago

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

This guy was the heart and soul of the Canucks defence. Not retiring his number would be an insult.

#35 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,700 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

i didnt say his number should be retired, i was just asking people if they thought it should be. But all the people who :picard: probally didnt read the whole post

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#36 Laoag

Laoag

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

Posted Image

Use cliches! it makes you cool " :picard:" (now thats epic, a facepalm in quotations.)

#37 Laoag

Laoag

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

but on a serious note... if you retire salos number... you need to retire bertuzzi, morrison, ohlund, jovo, lumme, and countless others. salo was an amazing player for us... but honestly, most teams save the retiring of numbers to players that lead the team to at least one stanley cup. could you see salos number going up in montreal or detriot? i love salo but.. no.

#38 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

Seriously? Jersey retired? Great guy, good player, commendable dedication to returning from so many injuries...but not even close to the caliber of player that should be honoured with a jersey retirement.

#39 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

Salo was a great Canuck and it is going to hurt a little to see him in a different jersey. He played well for us and was a consistent team oriented player. Great in the community and a perfect example of what we expect from our players. However, I don't think this is enough for a ring or honor induction and definitely not a jersey retirement.

He should definitely be invited for alumni games though!

Edited by wtpasc, 07 August 2012 - 01:20 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#40 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,324 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

well it worked for naslund...he never even got us out of the second round mind boggles me how his number can be retired when you compare kesler and the sedins even luongo has done more to this franchise than he has...sadly salo isnt that elite and should be in the ring for sure

Exactly! At best Naslund deserved a ROH and even then I questioned his leadership when it counted. He does not compare to what Smyl and Linden did. Kesler and the Twins got the team to the finals like Linden & Smyl. IMHO that does not warrant a # retirement either. There has to be absolutely no doubt that they spent everything they had in the effort.

Back to Salo. Sorry but even tho he was the best all around d-man for long stretches it still doesn't rate the ROH and most definitely not a # retirement. What I will always remember about Sami was taking that shot in the knacker and coming back to finish the series. Gutsy but that gets him a round of 'pops' not immortaility!

#41 juwanski

juwanski

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

well it worked for naslund...he never even got us out of the second round mind boggles me how his number can be retired when you compare kesler and the sedins even luongo has done more to this franchise than he has...sadly salo isnt that elite and should be in the ring for sure

Naslund along with Bert and Morrison made the Canucks feared again. The fail of the cup was more Burkes doing by not surrounding the team with proper supporting cast while there wasn't a salary cap, that could have all came from our cheapass owners.

#42 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

To me it was the end of an era.
Ohlund and Salo anchored the PP for over a decade between them.Matthias' best goal production came with Sami's presence.
Now Salo and Hedman together could wake up some to what Vancouver lost.
Hardest slap shot for the team most every year in Canucks skills competition.
+114 (career)-tell me the guy is soft,please.Positionally superb d man.
8-25+ point years in Vancouver in 62 games played(average).
Edler has done that four times,Bieksa 3 times.Ballard 4 times(career).Hamhuis 5 times(career).Garrison 2 times(Florida).
Ohlund also did it nine times for Vancouver,six of those years playing with Sami.

Ohlund career +/- ? -6
Bieksa career +/- ? +24
Ballard career +/- ? -1
Edler career +/- ? +33
Garrison career +/- ? +9
Hamhuis career +/- ? + 61
Sami Salo career +/- ? +114

Tallying total records of all Canucks D men ALL TIME Salo :

Most PP goals with 48-Ohlund second with 36
Most game winners with 20-Ohlund second with 19
Least penalised player in top ten scoring all time and best plus minus Canuck all time

Sami Salo is fifth all time scoring in Vancouver Canucks Defense man history,folks and he did it averaging 62 games per year.
Most astonishing is the fact that he suffered endless,serious injuries and overcame them all.
Sami Salo leaves behind a decade of stellar performance as a Canuck and this truly is the end of an era.

Edited by nuck nit, 07 August 2012 - 09:09 PM.

#43 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,473 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:29 AM

Exactly! At best Naslund deserved a ROH and even then I questioned his leadership when it counted. He does not compare to what Smyl and Linden did. Kesler and the Twins got the team to the finals like Linden & Smyl. IMHO that does not warrant a # retirement either. There has to be absolutely no doubt that they spent everything they had in the effort.

Back to Salo. Sorry but even tho he was the best all around d-man for long stretches it still doesn't rate the ROH and most definitely not a # retirement. What I will always remember about Sami was taking that shot in the knacker and coming back to finish the series. Gutsy but that gets him a round of 'pops' not immortaility!

Team accomplishments versus individual accomplishments. And they didn't have Cloutier in net.

Edited by Baggins, 08 August 2012 - 03:31 AM.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#44 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:41 AM

Ohlund and Salo anchored the PP for over a decade between them.Matthias' best goal production came with Sami's presence.
Edler has done that four times,Bieksa 3 times.Ballard 4 times(career).Hamhuis 5 times(career).Garrison 2 times(Florida).
Ohlund also did it nine times for Vancouver,six of those years playing with Sami.

Ohlund career +/- ? -6
Bieksa career +/- ? +24
Ballard career +/- ? -1
Edler career +/- ? +33
Garrison career +/- ? +9

Least penalised player in top ten scoring all time and best plus minus Canuck all time

Sami Salo is fifth all time scoring in Vancouver Canucks Defense man history,folks and he did it averaging 62 games per year.
Most astonishing is the fact that he suffered endless,serious injuries and overcame them all.
Sami Salo leaves behind a decade of stellar performance as a Canuck and this truly is the end of an era.

Good post. Some strong points and research here.

Funny that now that he's no longer a Canuck, people seem to just flatly discount these facts, and not realize just how effective he was over him time here. Passing on him was a MISS, I don't care about the injury risk. There's no such thing as a perfect investment, and the ONLY thing about Salo's game that's even worthy of concern is his susceptibility of injury. Everywhere else, he's solid as a rock, and letting him go over one additional measly year is a serious disappointment.

#45 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:41 AM

look at the team Naslund had when he was captain. Now look at the team now. Naslund had a team with offense but no defense. The Sedins, Kesler, Luongo have a team with solid defense and decent offesne (still lack a little bit of depth though).

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#46 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,473 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:12 AM

Ohlund career +/- ? -6
Bieksa career +/- ? +24
Ballard career +/- ? -1
Edler career +/- ? +33
Garrison career +/- ? +9

Lumme was also here for 9 seasons and played 13 more games than Salo while putting up 95 more points. If Salo is to receive any accolades from the organization (which I doubt), Lumme should be recognized ahead of him.

Btw, comparing Salo's career +/- to guys who haven't been in the NHL as long is a tad deceiving.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#47 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:42 AM

BTW,It is a Salo thread ,Baggins.Included is the option to vote 'C'-neither award.

I could care less if Sami or Matthias ever come back to Vancouver from some sunny Florida beach home to get some award such as ROH.They earned a nice retirement spot after a decade each of dedicated,exceptional service working/living in the rain and cold of Vancouver.

Salo's +/- stats are out of this world.Nobody can diminish his positional play with or without the puck or the years of dependable service he gave this club.I just wanted to highlight how valuable he has been for the Canucks .

Enjoy Florida,Sami. Many will miss you.

Edited by nuck nit, 08 August 2012 - 06:45 AM.

#48 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,473 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

BTW,It is a Salo thread ,Baggins.Included is the option to vote 'C'-neither award.

I could care less if Sami or Matthias ever come back to Vancouver from some sunny Florida beach home to get some award such as ROH.They earned a nice retirement spot after a decade each of dedicated,exceptional service working/living in the rain and cold of Vancouver.

Salo's +/- stats are out of this world.Nobody can diminish his positional play with or without the puck or the years of dependable service he gave this club.I just wanted to highlight how valuable he has been for the Canucks .

Enjoy Florida,Sami. Many will miss you.

Was Salo not mentioned in my post? I'm pretty sure he was. It appeared to me that you had brought up other players in comparison why can't I? And yes, I saw the C option and chose it.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#49 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

While we're at it we should also retire:
Morrison
Ohlund
Jovanovski
Bertuzzi
Snepts
McLean
Cloutier
Gradin
Feel free to add in.

Add in Bourdon and Rypien.
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#50 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,700 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

While we're at it we should also retire:
Morrison
Ohlund
Jovanovski
Bertuzzi
Snepts
McLean
Cloutier
Gradin

Feel free to add in.

Gradin,McLean and Snepts are already in the ROH

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

#51 Psycho_Path

Psycho_Path

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:30 PM

I own a Salo jersey as he was 1 of my 2 fav Canucks and the other hadn't signed his current 4 year deal at the time. I think Salo was our best defenseman since Ohlund's last year here but we ultimately haven't won anything with him here so I really don't think either is much of a likely scenario as he didn't exactly light the scoresheet either. Decent production but definitely not great.
Posted Image

#52 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

Team accomplishments versus individual accomplishments. And they didn't have Cloutier in net.

lol... /argument

#53 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:01 AM

I was going to start a topic with this but decided this one was also a tribute.
Anyway I was watching some Canucks videos and found this and it really had me choked about not starting the season with Sami.......the gentle "giant"
He gave it all for this team..........and more. "Was 2 more years too much to ask Mike?"

Kevin.jpg

#54 six-0h-four-

six-0h-four-

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

http://forum.canucks...pgrade-on-salo/

It's all been done. Hoo-Hoo-Hoo
Follow me @CurtisEastman on Twitter.

#55 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,700 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/332495-garrison-a-replacement-or-an-upgrade-on-salo/

It's all been done. Hoo-Hoo-Hoo

Not really. This is also about if his jersey should be retired. That thread is about if Garrison is an upgrade on Salo

#56 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

Love him, great defenceman. I wouldn't be upset if they put him in the ROH, but I don't think it needs to happen.

Posted Image

#57 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

I was going to start a topic with this but decided this one was also a tribute.
Anyway I was watching some Canucks videos and found this and it really had me choked about not starting the season with Sami.......the gentle "giant"
He gave it all for this team..........and more. "Was 2 more years too much to ask Mike?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=aQYtljrFQiU

Great video, and shows how "soft" Salo really was. Hopefully we get a season so fans can give him a proper sendoff when he comes into town.

The ROH seems to be a place to honour some fan favourites and make sure they won't be forgotten. Salo absolutely deserves this.

CMc20QE.gif

Put Gino in the ROH

#58 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

Why do Canuck fans feel the need to retire the jersey of every player they have ever liked?

I'd like to see us wait til' we win a championship before we start raising anymore jerseys to the rafters.

Retiring a jersey should be reserved for GREAT players like Sedins. Players like them will have their jerseys raised whether or not we win the Cup.

Salo? Maybe if we had won the cup in 2010.
Posted Image

#59 Martin Frk

Martin Frk

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:56 AM

He will always be my Palo :bigblush:
Posted Image
Cred to Lemons

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.