Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Need help on buying a Guitar

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#31 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,771 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

Then again, playing chords on an acoustic? Much easier on the fingertips than shredding massive bends and slides on the electric. Maybe it's that which had me thinking, 'Get ready to be sliced!'

comeundone.gif

#32 dajusta

dajusta

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

I have bought and sold multiple guitars on craigslist and I know that Yamaha has the most consistent quality amongst their guitars.

Takamine's do not have that kind of consistency. You would have to buy a high end Takamine in order to get that nice warm/bright tone.

Taylor guitars have a very sweet spot of a sound.. I really really really recommend you to pick up a Taylor.
I'm Christian
I won't judge you
No one is perfect
Only through Jesus
Will we find Truth

#33 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:06 AM

Here is a link to some info about a new type of guitar being developed. It's main feature being an adjustable neck that addresses inherent issues related to tension and tuning. It springs from the idea that guitar manufactuering has not changed in 150 years. Patent pending technology reduces manufacture time from 100 hours to just 24. I am particularly enthusiastic about this project as I know Mike and better yet his grandmother was my grade one teacher long ago! (we met coincidetally a few years ago).

https://www.bdcyoung...a/profile_2.php

The voting refered to has already happened so don't bother voting. He won 2nd place in a national young entreprenuers compitition and will use the 25k to lauch his factory. Contact Lees Music in Kamloops for more info on this unique product.

#34 _Kick_Save_

_Kick_Save_

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

Thanks so much guys! I am looking at an epiphone ( dr 100 I think its called) or an art and luthrie.
Posted Image

#35 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

Pick up guitars and look in the mirror. Once the refection makes you feel like this:

Posted Image

That's the one for you.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#36 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

When you first start playing guitar you'll be too bad to tell the difference between a good guitar and a bad one, so just get some sort of starter kit.

Posted Image

#37 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,462 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:02 PM

LMAO at anyone actually slicing there fingertips on strings ? Been playing for years and have never heard of this in my life. I know many instructors and musicians and asked , they were just as bewildered. Not to mention the lighter gauge you use the more it will hurt because the strings are way thinner thus pressing farther into your tips. Thicker gauge will require you to press a little harder fatiguing your hand but it wont hurt as much . Medium gauge are the best for beginners giving the best all around play. The only thing that will happen is calluses will build up on the tips after a few weeks of continual practice. Depending on how you progress and what styles you play different gauges will be needed. I highly recommend Dean Markley Blue Steel strings amazing sound ! Fender acoustics are nearly unmatched in quality for the price you will pay. Keep in mind if you buy an acoustic that can be plugged into an amp it will need a specific acoustic amp or you will get nasty feed back when playing, but you will always have the option to amplify so it is a win win really.

just a link for a simple acoustic/electric
http://www.fender.co...rtno=0961530006

http://www.deanmarkl.../248-blue-steel

I sliced my fingers up on the strings when I started out. I'd never played guitar before, so didn't have calluses, and played on a crappy acoustic with terrible action, forcing me to press really hard. I got into it and played a lot, and the tips of all my fingers started bleeding after a while. I built up calluses and never had a problem after that.
Moo

#38 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,814 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:57 AM

When you first start playing guitar you'll be too bad to tell the difference between a good guitar and a bad one, so just get some sort of starter kit.

I would not recommed this. The starter kit guitars are awful. Beginners can't tell the difference between a descent guitar and a high end one, but learning on a bad guitar is extremely difficult. The action is bad, things won't sound right, they feel bad, they go out of tune easily etc...

You don't need a top end guitar, but get a guitar that is well reviewed. Remember that any guitar you buy will have resale value. So you aren't throwing away the entire purchase price of the guitar, even if in a year or so you decide it's not for you.

#39 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

I would not recommed this. The starter kit guitars are awful. Beginners can't tell the difference between a descent guitar and a high end one, but learning on a bad guitar is extremely difficult. The action is bad, things won't sound right, they feel bad, they go out of tune easily etc...

You don't need a top end guitar, but get a guitar that is well reviewed. Remember that any guitar you buy will have resale value. So you aren't throwing away the entire purchase price of the guitar, even if in a year or so you decide it's not for you.

This. Playing on a good guitar is a lot more fun, so try and get an instrument that's at least comfortable to play and sounds ok. I recommend buying a used one off craigslist or something, you can save a lot of money that way especially if you find a steal. Plus if you decide to quit, and you kept the guitar in good condition, you can sell it for the same price you bought it at, so you don't lose any money at all.

#40 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,814 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

This. Playing on a good guitar is a lot more fun, so try and get an instrument that's at least comfortable to play and sounds ok. I recommend buying a used one off craigslist or something, you can save a lot of money that way especially if you find a steal. Plus if you decide to quit, and you kept the guitar in good condition, you can sell it for the same price you bought it at, so you don't lose any money at all.

Good advice. To add to this, if you are goign used, I'd highly recommend having someone with expertise inspect the guitar. Things like twisted necks (a very common problem with used guitars) can be difficult to spot, if you don't know what to look for.

#41 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

fender.

i definitely say fender

Edited by Bob Singh, 14 August 2012 - 10:21 PM.

Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#42 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

Pick up guitars and look in the mirror. Once the refection makes you feel like this:

Posted Image

That's the one for you.

+1000 if i could. your thinking is great sir.

i will definitely use this advice for myself too.
Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.