#1 Urethra_Franklin

Urethra_Franklin

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

POPULAR

Just thought I'd share this article on Mike Gillis. Many of the same points have already been discussed,

I just posted this in case anyones interested.

http://www.getrealho...V9C8LhFA.reddit
Posted Image

#2 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

Good read, thanks

#3 mygame

mygame

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:01 AM

Yes good read thanks!

#4 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

I agree, the game has become wack and hack again, but instead of bending over or crying like a little girl he is counter punching this epidemic with bigger/younger players.

This Luongo trade is the biggest in franchise history, can't wait to see how he does!
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#5 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,747 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

A brief explanation on why we lost, but no mention of Manny's eye injury. Turns out that little event was as significant as the Canucks say it was. Heck, a lot of them heralded Manny as the team's mvp at that point.

Anyway, injuries suck. There's only so much you can to to plan for them.
Posted Image

#6 kylecanuck

kylecanuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

Good read, thanks for the post
The children, wont someone please think of the children!!!

#7 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

good read, kinda set the record straight for the haters

Posted Image

#8 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:34 AM

Good read.

More confirmation the NHL is a league without the balls to enforce it's own rules and business model. Football on ice would be an appropriate description except in football, they would never allow much of the goonery the NHL does. SHanahan has been influenced by the politics and power of the NHL's big money and has proven to be just another pawn in the game.

#9 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,984 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

I agree, the game has become wack and hack again, but instead of bending over or crying like a little girl he is counter punching this epidemic with bigger/younger players.

This Luongo trade is the biggest in franchise history, can't wait to see how he does!

It's the biggest trade in franchise history if it helps us win the Cup. If not, then the trade for Luongo is still the biggest in franchise history.

Faith in Gillis. I think he's a shrewd guy with a lot of patience. I hope he keeps us steered towards success.

Edited by Witchcraft and Sedinery, 07 August 2012 - 10:41 AM.

Posted Image

#10 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,050 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:17 AM

Good article. I didn't know Gillis was drafting overagers. It could work or could potentially backfire on him.
Posted Image

#11 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

Good article. I didn't know Gillis was drafting overagers. It could work or could potentially backfire on him.

Just one look at Mallet should help.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#12 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

Good read.

More confirmation the NHL is a league without the balls to enforce it's own rules and business model. Football on ice would be an appropriate description except in football, they would never allow much of the goonery the NHL does. SHanahan has been influenced by the politics and power of the NHL's big money and has proven to be just another pawn in the game.

The difference between say the NFL and the NHL is that NFL referee's are probably the best in sports, whereas the NHL's...well, I don't even think I need to explain

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#13 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

Good read.

+1 and that's why, said perfectly in a nutshell.

The article was a good read, not I have even higher hopes of Doan, getting him would be amazing but it's just hopes so we will see.

zackass.png

#14 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

It's the biggest trade in franchise history if it helps us win the Cup. If not, then the trade for Luongo is still the biggest in franchise history.

Faith in Gillis. I think he's a shrewd guy with a lot of patience. I hope he keeps us steered towards success.

Because trading for Lou helped us win a cup? Let's see what we get for Lou. I would say the nasland trade was bigger then getting Lou because we gave up some assets for Lou and not for nasland.

Edit: you could also say the trade to get the twins was bigger then the Lou trade.

Edited by Nino, 07 August 2012 - 01:29 PM.

#15 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

the game changes. There was a time where skill won and big, bad, tough players were seen as 3rd/4th liners. Obviously these tough players are starting to develop some skill and making life miserable for the players that don't necessarily play on the physical side. Game changes, and all teams can do is adapt. Gillis has always (in my view) been a patient guy, that has done some solid moves. As long as he continues to bring us players and a team that can make the playoffs and thus have a shot at the cup, I will support him throughout.

'Window is closing'...pfft. I'm sure people have said that about the Red Wings and they haven't missed the playoffs in like 20 years or so.

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#16 ilduce39

ilduce39

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

Gillis looks like if Jeremy Renner spent a month living off of deep dish pizza and scotch.
T-Bone said:
remind them all of Tbone, remeber me for how I lived, not how I was banned
*sig too big

#17 ilovekevinbieksa

ilovekevinbieksa

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

good read! thanks!
Posted Image (One duplicate gif removed by mod to meet size limitations)

#18 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

Saying that we need to get bigger, more athletic, grittier, and delivering are two different things.

So far the experiments to solve this have not been great;

Drool all u want over what Kassian might do, he was not the play off equalizer advertised.Owen Nolan and the other cast of bargain misfits have yet to be significant. Booth has yet to prove more valuable than Samuelsson. I cheer for all of them when they wear a Canuck uniform, but...

#19 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

Because trading for Lou helped us win a cup? Let's see what we get for Lou. I would say the nasland trade was bigger then getting Lou because we gave up some assets for Lou and not for nasland.

Edit: you could also say the trade to get the twins was bigger then the Lou trade.

Yet another jab at Lou. Are you and smurf bunk bed bangers or something?

Posted Image

#20 ilovewinona

ilovewinona

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

Good read. Thanks for posting it :)

25spxza.jpg

#21 brycemeat

brycemeat

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

I like the way Gillis has taken over this team.

#22 Canuckfan1968

Canuckfan1968

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

loved it makes perfect sense to me :)

#23 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

Good read...thank you.

Edited by bluesman60, 07 August 2012 - 04:59 PM.

#24 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

You watch as soon as Gillis get this team big and tough the refs and league will start calling more penalties in the playoffs. It's just the way it goes for us Canuck fans, we lose and try to adapt the next year ,then we change and the officials calls change. :picard:

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#25 xCANUCKAHOLICx

xCANUCKAHOLICx

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:11 PM

thx

#26 Sbriggs

Sbriggs

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

Just thought I'd share this article on Mike Gillis. Many of the same points have already been discussed,

I just posted this in case anyones interested.

http://www.getrealho...V9C8LhFA.reddit

wow great article, some of the wannabe GM's on here could learn a thing or two maybe

#27 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

wow great article, some of the wannabe GM's on here could learn a thing or two maybe

Like what, how to whine about the refs like a real pro? This just in Mike: since you had no experience as a GM of a hockey team at any level prior to being annoited the resident hockey genius in Vancouver I guess it figures that you haven't flashed on the fact that EVERY YEAR the NHL starts out with a "new" agenda for its officials and EVERY YEAR the standard of officiating relaxes as the season goes on to the point where, by the time of the playoffs, the standard is right about where it always has been at that time of the year. This plus the fact that the Canucks DO actually dive a lot more than most other teams (especially in the playoffs) means that we don't get all the calls that Gillis would like to get. I applaud his new fixation with size and strength just so long as we get more guys who can throw actual bodychecks and not just more guys who can only check guys with dirty cheapshots (Bitz, Torres, Rome etc.). I am cautiously optimistic.

#28 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,984 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

Helped get us 2 President's Trophies, 5 Northwest divisions, and if you think that Schneider would be anywhere near as good as he is now without that development Luongo allowed him to obtain, you're crazy. He would've been rushed onto a crappy team at an age where he admits his attitude needed improvement.

He picked up this franchise from a team of mediocrity and put it back into the spotlight, and set us on the path to contention. Now, he's been instrumental in the grooming of our next superstar goalie, and even in leaving us will net something to help our team further.

Naslund never brought us the same success, and though the twins breaking out was a major contribution to our status as contenders, it wasn't the same immediate impact as what Luongo brought. When he first came here, the team had their best regular season finish in history. It wasn't until the season after the twins broke out when we had the Malhotra-Kesler & Hamhuis-Bieksa effects, as well as Luongo and Schneider having a Jennings season, that broke the 2006-07 record.

He's been one of the most important players in the history of the franchise, like it or not. Apologies for going WAY off-topic.

Edited by Witchcraft and Sedinery, 10 August 2012 - 07:01 PM.

Posted Image

#29 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,630 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

This is not an interview it is an opinion.

Garrison is not a physical D man.He is big but is a positional player.He punishes nobody.

Sedins-no help.Concussion for Dan and Hank was cross checked into suffering back spasms in the finals.

Kesler-ground into the ice with no help.No help for four years-or is it five years now? It has been so long.

Conclusion? Gillis better get these guys some help ASAP as he has failed to protect his star players to date.

Window........ closing.

#30 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

Posted Image
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.