The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks kicking tires on Huet

J2ZUC3

Don't. Want. Huet. At. All. Are we gonna sign a goalie that have played in the NLA for 2 years, and expect him to be our back-up? The 2 seasons before he went there, he sucked donkeyballs. Now he'll turn 37 in September, why would he be a better goalie now than he was before? I would take a guy like Dan Ellis, whose career isn't going downhill like crap, over a bum like Huet.

"The Canucks are able to trade Roberto Luongo not only because they have Cory Schneider, but because Lack, 24, is ready to be a NHL backup. Lack spent the past two seasons in the American Hockey League. He won 21 games with a 2.31 goals-against average and .925 save percentage last season with the Chicago Wolves after winning 28 games with a 2.26 GAA and .926 save percentage in 2010-11 with the Manitoba Moose."

I'll trust Dave Gagner on this one. Would rather see the Canucks go with Lack than go outside and acquire another backup. He's earned a shot.

decent back up with a bit of experience. Can continue to guide and be a mentor for our new starter. Always nice for a young guy like Schnieder to have a guy in the same position giving him tips. For the right price I'd be happy with it

Schneider is not going to be effective if he plays anywhere near 60-70 games. He needs to play around 50 for us to even have a chance in the playoffs, because the kid has no idea what it takes to sustain a high level of play all season long as well as the playoffs.

Basically our backup needs to play 25-30 games, whoever it be, and of those 30 games he should be winning at least 15-20 of them. Schneider could have a spectacular season, rack up 30 wins in 50 games, but if the backup has a bad season the Canucks won't be a successful team. Schneider winning even 30 games and say an extra 5 OTL points gives the Canucks 65 points on the season, leaving the rest to our backup who should be able to get us 15 wins and hence around 35 points to bring us to 100 points - a Division winning season.

If our backup even plays 5 games below .500 or worse we're suddenly 10 points down which will be the difference between a Division title and 8th in the Conference. The backup's role is especially important on this team, and quite frankly, I don't trust Huet to win 15-20 games out of 30.

Unless Huet has undergone a miracle transformation in Switzerland over the past 2 seasons you want no part of him. I've never seen a goalie crumble so fast as Huet did in 2010. Ellis is a much better option for back-up. Heck, Lack is a better option than Huet!

God forfid that Schneider got hurt and Huet became your starter. There'd be no more President's Trophies and you could kiss goodbye any thoughts of a long playoff run

Schneider is not going to be effective if he plays anywhere near 60-70 games. He needs to play around 50 for us to even have a chance in the playoffs, because the kid has no idea what it takes to sustain a high level of play all season long as well as the playoffs.

Basically our backup needs to play 25-30 games, whoever it be, and of those 30 games he should be winning at least 15-20 of them. Schneider could have a spectacular season, rack up 30 wins in 50 games, but if the backup has a bad season the Canucks won't be a successful team. Schneider winning even 30 games and say an extra 5 OTL points gives the Canucks 65 points on the season, leaving the rest to our backup who should be able to get us 15 wins and hence around 35 points to bring us to 100 points - a Division winning season.

If our backup even plays 5 games below .500 or worse we're suddenly 10 points down which will be the difference between a Division title and 8th in the Conference. The backup's role is especially important on this team, and quite frankly, I don't trust Huet to win 15-20 games out of 30.

Huet’s agent, Stephen Bartlett,

“I haven’t had any substantive discussions with Vancouver about Huet specifically,” Bartlett told The Province on Tuesday. “I probably sent out a memo to all teams, including them.

“We’ve been trying to talk to every team. I haven’t had any specific discussions with Vancouver about him, just in general identifying teams that may or may not be in a position to look for goaltending, Vancouver being one of them. It’s depending on what happens with (Roberto) Luongo.”

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Canucks+showing+interest+winner+Cristobel+Huet/7054314/story.html

I don't know about Huet, but we definitely need a NHL veteran as the backup goalie.

Lack needs one more year of domination in the AHL before being full time in the NHL. Hopefully AV can somehow get him some games in this year. Remember how bad Schneider was in his first 5 NHL games?

I think Lack will play most of the pre-season games and then head down to the Wolves.

Huet’s agent, Stephen Bartlett,

“I haven’t had any substantive discussions with Vancouver about Huet specifically,” Bartlett told The Province on Tuesday. “I probably sent out a memo to all teams, including them.

“We’ve been trying to talk to every team. I haven’t had any specific discussions with Vancouver about him, just in general identifying teams that may or may not be in a position to look for goaltending, Vancouver being one of them. It’s depending on what happens with (Roberto) Luongo.”

http://www.theprovin...4314/story.html

Explain to me how, without making several assumptions that are in no way referenced in his post, $10 million averaged over 100 annual increments could ever result in a $1.00 cap hit. I guess I should have taken whichever f***ed up math classes you've aced in your lifetime in lieu of all the calculus and advanced statistics courses I've taken in mine.

I think an experienced back up is the way to go. Lack has played less than 50 games in the AHL and although shown some promise, I think it's a risk to bring him in as a back up relatively quickly. Of the available back ups, who do the Canucks go for? I doubt its Huet. I guess Boston faces a similar decision with Thomas' recent brain fades leaving Rask to the starting job without any back up (or do they still have Turco on the books?). Unless the Canucks get a back up like Clemmenson as part of the Luongo trade, I guess they're left with guys like Ellis, Conklin, Brent Johnson or Nittymaki etc. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Johnson or Turco (if available) back Schneider up if we were forced to go the UFA route. I believe that Gillis will try to acquire another goalie via trade though.

Archived