The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Crowd Noise in Rogers Arena

BEAST09

The crowd noise in Rogers arena is pathetic. There needs to be something done about the lack of energy in the building throughout the regular season and even in the playoffs.

I have been trying to think of ways the canucks could create a better atmosphere at the home games.

From my experience attending canucks games, I noticed that the music played between whistles and the goal song that comes on after a goal drowns out noise created by fans. The only thing fans can hear is the song blasting out of the speakers, not the other fans cheering.

When we score a goal, the song that comes on continues playing right until the restart of play. When the puck is dropped the music stops and the crowd has settled down. I feel that if there was just a horn signalling a goal and the fans were left to cheer and hear the other fans in the building cheering it would create a more passionate response throughout the duration of the game.

When we go on our California trip and our fans pack the (ducks kings pheonix sharks) stadiums. After each of those games I always feel that the crowd was amazing and it was almost like a home game for the canucks. there are two reasons why this occurs in my opinion - no goal song when we score!! and also - fans are more diehard and drunk than usual.

Does anyone have any ideas to increase fan involvement during games?

This makes little sense. The reality is crowd mentality, or pack mentality, kicks in during instances of groups of 15-30 and more. Many things result, good and bad. Applause is one of those things. Singing along is another. A goal song, at least a catchy one, actually spurns on cheering and signing along.

The reality of Rogers Arena is that it's a modern building that takes some of the atmosphere away that we used to get in the old concrete kingdoms of years ago. The other side is that this is still a corporate crowd - tickets are expensive. That's not to say those people aren't fans, many are. But it's also a great place to bring business partners from out of town, who inherently have much less invested in the outcome of regular season games.

There's plenty of issues that one could pull, good and bad. Personally - I think the Vamanos goal song was a good switch that got people more involved when goals were score. Second - I've never been to a playoff game with a poor crowd when the game was good. Blowout games tend to suck the life out, for obvious reasons...but I've found the crowds great during playoff games.

DJ Dave drowns out every chant the crowd gets going. I don't understand why every whistle he has to play some sort of hit from the 80s, and then throw up the "kiss cam" so everyone gets distracted. After every whistle there should be a reaction from the fans whether they are for it or against it, that way momentum slowly builds.

Why not chant/cheer/make noise during gameplay when there isn't music being played? If the crowd shows this and it becomes something pretty special, maybe management will look into crowd participation instead of goal songs, etc. There is opportunity, the crowd just needs to take it.

DJ Dave drowns out every chant the crowd gets going. I don't understand why every whistle he has to play some sort of hit from the 80s, and then throw up the "kiss cam" so everyone gets distracted. After every whistle there should be a reaction from the fans whether they are for it or against it, that way momentum slowly builds.

So if the puck goes out of play there should be a reaction, if it's icing there should be a reaction, if it's offside there should be a reaction..? Unless it's an absolutely horrible icing or offside call then what is there to react to

IMO its because ticket prices are crazy. When I go to games I still see crazy nucks fans but I see a lot of business people. Many businesses buy season tickets and give it out to clients. I think if prices were lower we would have a lot of the die hard canucks fans in the building.for example when I went to a game in chi town the ticket prices weren't bad at all, and that place is nuts ! Its soo loud you can't hear yourself think, remember this is just my opinion

IMO its because ticket prices are crazy. When I go to games I still see crazy nucks fans but I see a lot of business people. Many businesses buy season tickets and give it out to clients. I think if prices were lower we would have a lot of the die hard canucks fans in the building.for example when I went to a game in chi town the ticket prices weren't bad at all, and that place is nuts ! Its soo loud you can't hear yourself think, remember this is just my opinion

Ticket prices are really high, and a lot of the crowd is full of suits. Look how loud BC Place is and how cheap the tickets are.

But, you know, Aquilini is one of those owners who is willing to spend money, others owners might not want to, to win. Those suits might be one of the many reasons he is willing to do that.

I'm more worried about how hard our fans can be on certain players. When you begin to boo a player for a bad performance before the game is over, instead of cheering him on, you are practically quitting on the player. Boo the whole team AFTER the game. Don't lose your crap before the game is done. Stay composed, so our boys can do the same.

I think crowd noise has the ability to be more detremintal (boo's and jeering) then benificial (being as loud as the ACC when the Leafs win 2 in a row).

Archived